Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > How to run more than one Google Notifier for more than one google account

How to run more than one Google Notifier for more than one google account
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 17, 2008, 12:20 AM

OK, I seen this request on another forum and I have had this setup for myself for sometime now but could not remember how to do so, so I did it again but did it step by step and took snap shots. Unlike just making a second copy of the application and opening it, with quitting of the application, log out, restart etc. you will not be bugged each time to input the user/password. They will all open on start up for you if you select to do so and will log into each individual account.

This is my setup for two Gmail accounts in my menu bar.

1. In the Application folder you will have the Google Notifier application. Here you will just make a second copy of it as seen here.
>>>>

2. Next step you need to re name (Ex. add email account name to end) to tell which app is for what.

3. Now that the applications have been re named, run one of them and login as well, save the password. This does not matter which account. Once the application is running and appears in the menu bar, exit the program so it no longer running.

4. Now go to "userhome"/Library/Preferences. Here you will see the file "com.google.GmailNotifier.plist". Make a second copy of this .plist and then rename with adding the same wording you used for the Gmail Application.
>>>>

5. Chose one of these .plist files and open to edit. I prefer to use Smultron http://smultron.sourceforge.net When open you will see the info that was saved from logging in that links the Application to the .plist. Look and find your email address and this is where you will change the address. If this is already the email address you want this Application to be, then leave as is. Now close and open up the other .plist file. Again change the email address to the address you want. These two pictures below show two different email accounts.

6. Now that the .plist files have been configured, you now just need to link each of the two Google Notifier applications that you renamed to it's specific .plist so that when each application opens, they will have their own settings. Open the contents folder for each of the applications (Right click on application and select "Show Package Contents"). You want to open the "info.plist"

7. With the info.plist file open, find com.google.GmailNotifier.plist. You want to rename this to the corresponding .plist file. Do the same step with the other Google Notifier Application to link it to it's corresponding .plist

Once you have done these steps just open both of the Google Notifier Application one at a time to ensure you are logging into each one with the account you setup for the specific Google Notifier Application. one you have logged into both and select them to save the account and set them to start up when the use logs in, then you will never be bugged again for which user accounts you want to use.

**Bonus**
As seen in the first image, I have one icon as red and one as blue. I did this so that I could tell which icon was for what email account. This is a easy change. For each Google Notifier Application you want to change the icon for, go to it's Contents/Resources folder (Right click on application and select "Show Package Contents"). In this folder there is a .png labeled as "unread.png". This is the icon that Google Notifier changes to when you have unread email. Just photoshop the color or even make the same size icon of your choice. Here is the blue icon that I changed that I added to one of the Google Notifiers on my computer.

>>> <<<

~~~~~~

I know this looks like a lot of work but after a quick read, it's rather simple.
If you catch any mistake in the directions, please let me know and I'll make the adjustment.
Good Luck !!
( Last edited by carterx; Feb 20, 2009 at 06:13 AM. )

Sep 21, 2008, 10:35 AM

Very nice work. Thanks for posting it!

Clinically Insane
Sep 22, 2008, 03:00 AM

Seems a bit complex.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

carterx  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 22, 2008, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Seems a bit complex.
I put a lot of detail into what needs to be done. It only takes a couple minutes after you have read this. Perhaps too much detail. Depends if you want to run more than one I guess.

Moderator Emeritus
Nov 12, 2008, 03:39 PM

Doesn't work right - I've got it using the separate prefs, the proper account, but it's showing the counter for the same account in both notifiers.

carterx  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 12, 2008, 04:29 PM

If you have separate prefs created and each of the two copies of the google app linked to the need pref, then once both are running, go into the application from the menu for one of them, log out, then fill in the user info for your other account.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 2, 2009, 06:32 PM

This was AWESOME! Exactly what I wanted to do! I even edited the no-unread email icons (screened back versions of the unread emails) so that I know which is which when I'm all caught up on mail.

MY QUESTION...
I want to set it so that on account goes to one browser...and the other account goes to another browser. When I change the setting in the preference for one of the notifiers, and the go to the other, it has changed it there. In Smultron it says "AskedForEmailApp_GMLastLaunchedPath#@g@

lio
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 19, 2009, 03:34 PM

Thank you very much for your tips and for the excellent presentation of them!

I wonder only if I do something wrong with the link that you have posted ( http://www.mactech.ca/gmail_osx_tips/unread_icon.zip ) for the unread icon..

I can not download it and it is such an excellent idea!

carterx  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 20, 2009, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by lio View Post
Thank you very much for your tips and for the excellent presentation of them!

I wonder only if I do something wrong with the link that you have posted ( http://www.mactech.ca/gmail_osx_tips/unread_icon.zip ) for the unread icon..

I can not download it and it is such an excellent idea!
Link has been fixed. It's the blue gmail unread icon.

carterx  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 20, 2009, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by commanderclif View Post
This was AWESOME! Exactly what I wanted to do! I even edited the no-unread email icons (screened back versions of the unread emails) so that I know which is which when I'm all caught up on mail.

MY QUESTION...
I want to set it so that on account goes to one browser...and the other account goes to another browser. When I change the setting in the preference for one of the notifiers, and the go to the other, it has changed it there. In Smultron it says "AskedForEmailApp_GMLastLaunchedPath#@g@
I have not tried it, but I'm sure it will work to have one go to the browser and the other to an app like mail. Don't think you can have one go to one browser and the other account to another browser as it goes to your default browser. Your issue is that your computer has one default browser.

lio
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 20, 2009, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by carterx View Post
Link has been fixed. It's the blue gmail unread icon.
Thank you my friend!

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 7, 2009, 04:47 PM

Carterx, you are a prince among geeks! I have wanted to do this for a long time (I have 3 accounts to control), and this worked beautifully! A million thanks for the very detailed and graphically-supported instructions!

carterx  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 12, 2009, 01:08 PM

Glad to hear others are able to use this

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 25, 2009, 09:07 PM

Thank you! ive wanted to do this for while and finally stayed on my butt and did it. i did a few different things: used text edit modify the .plist files, changed the 'nonewmail' icons to have a different tint matching the 'newmail' icons, changed the audio pitch of one of the accounts so i could tell them apart (kinda pointless i know but i like it). as far as loading up each account in different browsers, would you need to use different browsers if the browser used supported multithreading? im going to try this on safari 4 here in a minute

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 25, 2009, 09:18 PM

nope, doesnt work in multithreaded either. didnt think it would but i had a dream! again, great guide

Senior User
Apr 27, 2009, 12:54 AM

Can anyone post a sticky? If so, how?
Chris K.
White MacBook and iPod Nano 3rd Generation
Experienced Mac User
Don't hold me accountable for jokes-I have a lousy sense of humor!

carterx  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 30, 2009, 10:04 PM

Running 3 accounts myself now .... and yes I know I have a lot of unread mail

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 22, 2009, 05:10 AM

For me it works but impossible for keychain to remember passwords. Notifier always asks passwords at beginning of the session :-(. I looked in keychain list and there is no Google Service: Google Notifier line like there is when only use one standard notifier. It seems it disappear as soon as I launch two or more notifiers like in the procedure...

Clinically Insane
Dec 22, 2009, 10:16 AM

Wouldn't it be easier to setup multiple identities within a single GMail account?

Mac Elite
Dec 22, 2009, 07:53 PM

Gmail Notifr - you can have as many gmail accounts as you like!

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 8, 2010, 08:16 AM

IT WAS SAID "If you have separate prefs created and each of the two copies of the google app linked to the need pref, then once both are running, go into the application from the menu for one of them, log out, then fill in the user info for your other account."

I would appreciate knowing exactly HOW to link the google app to the needed pref.

Somewhere it said to "click on the application and goto 'show package contents". I could not see this when click on the application. I'm on a snow leopard mac, is this the problem?

ALSO, can you have 2 Notifier icons in the menu bar and one has a Save in Keychain and one doesn't, will the account that doesn't be treated separately?
I hope I have been clear. Thank you for your suggestions. Gracia.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 20, 2010, 06:36 PM

I've followed these instructions (exactly, I believe, but the images are no longer available for confirmation), and it largely works, except that the cloned account #2 doesn't save the credentials. I am prompted for the account and password every time. (account #1, the original instance of Google Notifier, works fine.)

For account #2, the account info is not saved to the preferences plist. It started with it (since I had cloned the original and updated it per the instructions). But each time I run GN, it gets removed. I put it back, run the app, exit, and it is removed again. So not only do I need to type the password each time, I need to type in the fully email address.

I can also see that the keychain is not updated. There is only one keychain entry, and it is for Google Notifier (account #1).

acct #1: Applications/Google Notifier (original, untouched installation), ~/Library/Preferences/com.google.GmailNotifier.plist
acct #2: Applications/Google Notifier II, ~/Library/Preferences/com.google.GmailNotifierII.plist, updated Info.plist to have Bundle identifier = com.google.GmailNotifierII (plus some updated icons in Resources)

I would really love for both accounts to auto-login. Any ideas are most welcome. Thanks in advance.

(SnowLeopard 10.6.3, GN version 1.10.6.879)

Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2010, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by roqn View Post
I've followed these instructions (exactly, I believe, but the images are no longer available for confirmation), and it largely works, except that the cloned account #2 doesn't save the credentials. I am prompted for the account and password every time. (account #1, the original instance of Google Notifier, works fine.)

For account #2, the account info is not saved to the preferences plist. It started with it (since I had cloned the original and updated it per the instructions). But each time I run GN, it gets removed. I put it back, run the app, exit, and it is removed again. So not only do I need to type the password each time, I need to type in the fully email address.

I can also see that the keychain is not updated. There is only one keychain entry, and it is for Google Notifier (account #1).

acct #1: Applications/Google Notifier (original, untouched installation), ~/Library/Preferences/com.google.GmailNotifier.plist
acct #2: Applications/Google Notifier II, ~/Library/Preferences/com.google.GmailNotifierII.plist, updated Info.plist to have Bundle identifier = com.google.GmailNotifierII (plus some updated icons in Resources)

I would really love for both accounts to auto-login. Any ideas are most welcome. Thanks in advance.

(SnowLeopard 10.6.3, GN version 1.10.6.879)
Originally Posted by Andy8 View Post
Gmail Notifr - you can have as many gmail accounts as you like!
Have you tried my suggestion yet?

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 20, 2010, 11:45 PM

I use the notifier for calendar events, not email. I use Mailplane for email, and it handles the multiple account thing, no problem. So Gmail Notifr doesn't help me. Thanks, though.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 22, 2010, 08:32 PM

7. With the info.plist file open, find com.google.GmailNotifier.plist. You want to rename this to the corresponding .plist file. Do the same step with the other Google Notifier Application to link it to it's corresponding .plist
I do not find com.google.GmailNotifier.plist inside the plist file. I've renamed my second application instance Google Notifier 2

4. Now go to "userhome"/Library/Preferences. Here you will see the file "com.google.GmailNotifier.plist". Make a second copy of this .plist and then rename with adding the same wording you used for the Gmail Application.
There were 2 unique plist files automatically, didn't have to copy and edit.

The second instance still asks for password. Is it possible the plist file format has changed? In the plist file there's a string for com.google.GmailNotifier2 listed, but without .plist after it. Not sure what to do.

I'm on Snow Leopard 10.6.3

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2011, 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by jeff loin View Post
The second instance still asks for password.
You should re-sign the second instance, details here How to re-sign a Mac Google Notifier for using for multiple accounts.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2011, 11:48 AM

Thanks. The directions were very clear and the prompting for user/password is finally gone.

Thanks again.

Forum Links
Forum Rules