Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Would Like To Stream Live TV.....

Would Like To Stream Live TV.....
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2008, 11:54 PM

Alright, so what I would like to be able to do is stream my eyetv online so I can watch it away from home. I don't need to be able to change channels or anything like that. Im looking for a web based online service that would allow me to do this. Or be able to access the stream via windows media player. VLC is not an option. Any ideas of what's out there??

Sep 21, 2008, 10:13 AM

mix123  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2008, 11:24 AM

Unfortunately that won't work with eyetv. Any other ideas?

Sep 21, 2008, 11:40 AM

Can eyetv output to s-video or regular video and stereo audio? I'm thinking you could output over those into a dv camcorder, which the QT options may be able to work with.

Otherwise, can eyetv save it to an external drive, or can you make an automator action to move from eyetv to a drive? I'm thinking you could then VPN into your network or access the LAN remotely to download the video files.

Just thinking out loud here. I'm not familiar with eyetv.

Sep 21, 2008, 12:18 PM

I don't know how much more money you want to spend, but a Sling box would probably be the best, easiest solution, even the cheapest Slingbox AV:

http://www.slingmedia.com

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

mix123  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2008, 12:35 PM

Unfortunately slingbox won't work. I am going to be setting this up to watch while I'm at work...working nights... I can't install any software like slingbox on the PC's. All I have access to is Windows Media Player and the web.

Moderator Emeritus
Sep 21, 2008, 01:24 PM

cytv used to let you do this with eyetv. The other thing you could do is get an HDHomeRun and do some port forwarding / dyndns.org setup and view it remotely without much issue.

http://www.lucid-cake.net/cytv/index_en.html

Clinically Insane
Sep 21, 2008, 01:39 PM

If you were interested in switching to MythTV, it definitely allows you to do that. However, you need a lot of upload bandwidth to do this without frames being dropped, and most residential ISPs definitely do not provide this much bandwidth within their base level package.

mix123  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2008, 02:03 PM

I think CyTv would probably be the best bet. I'm now just wondering if Windows Media player would be able to open the stream. Is it just a URL that CyTv provides you to enter into VLC?

Clinically Insane
Sep 21, 2008, 02:14 PM

If CyTv doesn't pan out, just FYI you would have the same interface remotely as you would at home with MythTV, because the client is multi-platform and identical across platforms. You would have to adjust your router and MythTV settings to allow traffic to pass through your router, but that is fairly easy to do.

mix123  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2008, 02:24 PM

Would I need to install some type of software on the remote PC to access it?

Clinically Insane
Sep 21, 2008, 02:31 PM

Who is that question directed towards?

mix123  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2008, 03:01 PM

You regarding the MythTv

Clinically Insane
Sep 21, 2008, 03:11 PM

You would need to change your whole backend obviously, and the MythTV backend does not run under OS X. The frontend runs under Linux/Windows/OS X, but you would have to install the frontend/client on whatever machine you wanted to use to watch TV on. I'm presuming that EyeTV doesn't work under Linux, where MythTV works best, so you'd need a new capture card. The Hauppauge cards are the most common there.

Alternatively, MythTV also includes a module called MythWeb that allows you to download any of your recorded programs through a web interface. It doesn't support live TV though.

Obviously ditching EyeTV may be too drastic of a change for you, but if the live TV thing is really the name of the game for you and you have the upload bandwidth, MythTV will do this quite nicely.

Forum Links
Forum Rules