Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > SugarSync vs. DropBox

SugarSync vs. DropBox
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 7, 2008, 04:10 AM

Anyone care to weigh in one which of the two online backup/sync service (SugarSync or DropBox) you think is better (and more importantly, why you think one outweighs the other)?

All comments and opinions would be greatly appreciated... Thanks!

Oct 7, 2008, 01:05 PM

I'm interested in this question also. Plus, I couldn't figure out how to subscribe to the thread without posting???

Professional Poster
Oct 7, 2008, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by bpnkrtn View Post
I'm interested in this question also. Plus, I couldn't figure out how to subscribe to the thread without posting???
you can click on the wrench in the upper right corner of the first post in the thread to get the thread tools options.

I use dropbox and like it so far, but I will have to give sugarsync a try before I say which is better.

so far I can say: dropbox has a free option, sugarsync has monthly/yearly plans. sugarsync has iphone support (dropbox is still working on it).
ATT iPhone 4; 13" MBP; MDD G4.
http://twitter.com/SSharon27

Oct 8, 2008, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by SSharon View Post
you can click on the wrench in the upper right corner of the first post in the thread to get the thread tools options.
SSharon ... thanks for the info

Posting Junkie
Oct 11, 2008, 02:03 PM

Dropbox just works.

Oct 13, 2008, 11:47 AM

I am trying Dropbox ... all of a couple days now. I will add that it does seem to "just work" ... and I'm not very computer savvy ... so far, so good ...

m021478  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 13, 2008, 01:34 PM

Of course dropbox "just works"...but sugarsync also "just works"

anything else?

Oct 13, 2008, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by m021478 View Post
Of course dropbox "just works"...but sugarsync also "just works"

anything else?
Bit tacky there my friend

But I guess I understand your statement. I have not used SugarSync, so I can not compare. A major need of mine is to sync my bank information between work and home computers (I use iBank). In my testing so far DropBox is handling the file/database just as advertised. I've made changes in the database on both computers with no problems ... can't say the same for iDisk when I tried it. Sorry my original post just stated the obvious ...

Clinically Insane
Oct 13, 2008, 02:20 PM

Dropbox FTW.

2GB is FREE.

-t

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 14, 2008, 10:23 PM

I use both products and for different things.

Personal: I use SugarSync for my personal file syncronization for my wife and I to mutliple computers. I paid for the 30GB plan at $49/yr. This is after I lost all of the data on my wife's MacBook to a TSA agent dropping her laptop at the security checkpoint. Anyways, In my setup I have 3 folders defined for SugarSync to sync...His, Hers, Ours (not really called that, but you get the picture). So on our home desktop all 3 are synced and on each computer we use (laptop, work, etc.) just his & ours, or hers & ours are synced. We both have access through the handy-dandy iPhone app and it's all "set it and forget it" simple.

Sharing: I use Dropbox to collaborate with others. I have a few side businesses and have folders that encompasses the documents need to share with my partners and outside consultants providing additional help....like my marketing/art guy. Dropbox is also "set it and forget it" simple, and is much easier to use in a sharing situation. I love the growl support. BUT with only 2GB of storage, it can't replace my SugarSync account.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 14, 2008, 11:40 PM

I'm a paid user of SugarSync ($25 for 10GB), but I keep depending more on my free Dropbox account. The biggest benefit of dropbox: you can visually see from the icon whether the file has been sync'd or not. The sugarsync client is a bit of a dog...you have to pull it up, then select View: File Transfer Status to see what's pending for upload or download.

On dropbox, as soon as you change a file, you have immediate visual feedback that it's being sync'd, and get a nice growl notification when sync is complete. They are definitely much more mac-savvy.

Also, dropbox has active user forums. The SS forums are just sad.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 24, 2009, 05:08 PM

There is a lot of noise around this topic. I found a good breakdown on this topic at LinkedIn Answers: http://www.linkedin.com/answers/tech...ry=TCH_ITS_IST

Clinically Insane
Aug 24, 2009, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by ajonque View Post
There is a lot of noise around this topic. I found a good breakdown on this topic at LinkedIn Answers: http://www.linkedin.com/answers/tech...ry=TCH_ITS_IST
A lot of noise where ?
The link you provide offers exactly ONE(!) opinion.

-t

cgc
Professional Poster
Aug 24, 2009, 07:48 PM

I have used DropBox in Mac, Windows, and Linux and have never had any issues at all. For online storage I can't recommend DropBox enough. You're asking for a side by side comparison but why don't you do it as well since only you know what you need. When I look for software I read reviews then try them for myself and uninstall the programs I don't need or want.

Posting Junkie
Aug 26, 2009, 07:46 PM

DropBox is a great and free solution. If you have needs above what the free version of DB has to offer I'd probably go for Sugar Sync as it seems to be a more robust solution (especially in the way that it can sync any folder)

Of course, if you do sign up for DropBox, doing it through this link will give you and extra 250MB on top of your 2GB for free (as will I).

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Forum Links
Forum Rules