Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Super Flexible File Synchronizer vs SuperDuper - general update on backup universe

Super Flexible File Synchronizer vs SuperDuper - general update on backup universe
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 22, 2008, 08:08 AM

I have been a very happy user of SuperDuper for many years - and have recommended it widely but I have run into a limitation that has made me look elsewhere.

To be specific what I was looking for was a detailed way to run backups not just on a schedule (which SD can do if registered) but if a scheduled backup is missed then at the next earliest opportunity.

Furthermore, I wanted to be emailed with a summary of the backup success or failure - and emailed if the backup had not run at all.

All of these items and many more I have found in the app Super Flexible File Synchronizer.

However, and this is the big but - has anyone had any long term experience with this app and what are your thoughts of using it following a restore.

How does it play with large package format files on a Mac such as Aperture & iPhoto Libraries?

Also, does it copy file attributes with anything like the success of SuperDuper - check out this article for an in-depth examination of what I am really trying to get at: plasticsfuture Blog

All thoughts gratefully appreciated...

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 23, 2008, 01:31 AM

You could look at both ChronoSync and Synk Professional for the email feature.
Missed backup runs? I haven't tested that much, but -- what with launchd built
into OSX -- i'd say any utility could (potentially) satisfy that requrement.

That plasticsfuture blog needs updating... i'm pretty sure both Carbon Copy Cloner
and ChronoSync are up to SuperDuper's snuff, where tracking metadata is concerned.
-HI-

Clinically Insane
Nov 23, 2008, 02:23 AM

cue Besson suggesting rsync.

*SCNR*

-t

Forum Links
Forum Rules