Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iWeb: Local data lost. Can I recover form MobileMe?

iWeb: Local data lost. Can I recover form MobileMe?
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 11, 2009, 02:45 PM

My wife's iWeb data somehow didn't make it into her Time Machine backups. The website is still up and running on her MobileMe account. Is there a way to download or import the data that is on MobileMe back to her hard disk?

Thanks.
10.7.1 on Mac Pro 8x2.8

Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2009, 03:53 PM

Have you looked in Users/XXXXXXXXXX/Library/Application Support/iWeb
??
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 | 4GB | 128GB SSD ~ 500GB+2TB Externals ~ iPhone 4 32GB
Canon 5DII | EF 24-105mm IS USM | EF 100-400mm L IS USM | 50mm 1.8mkII
iMac | Mac Mini | 42" Panasonic LED HDTV | PS3

Mac Enthusiast
Sep 11, 2009, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by richwig83 View Post
Have you looked in Users/XXXXXXXXXX/Library/Application Support/iWeb
??
As stated before, the data stored locally was lost.
10.7.1 on Mac Pro 8x2.8

Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2009, 03:02 PM

iWeb has huge black hole regarding importing sites back in. All your website data is held in the App support folder in a package called Domain.

You could try searching your hard drive for files called Domain. You never know.

If you set up time machine to exclude system and all related files then it will exclude your libraries folder and thus your iWeb domain file.

[edit - this is wrong - this only excludes the library folder at the root level, not the one in the user folder, sorry. You would have to manually exclude the user library folder to not backup your Domains package]

So far there are no work arounds that I know of for importing html back into iWeb, you may have to either start from scratch or look at another app (maybe Freeway) which can import.
( Last edited by Doc HM; Sep 12, 2009 at 04:15 PM. )

Mac Enthusiast
Sep 12, 2009, 03:43 PM

That stinks. To high heaven.

I suppose at this point a call to Apple Support is vain?
10.7.1 on Mac Pro 8x2.8

Clinically Insane
Sep 12, 2009, 04:09 PM

It doesn't help now, but in the future, I would highly recommend Time Machine. This problem would be totally trivial if you had a backup.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2009, 04:13 PM

He did have time machine, but as I mentioned it looks like he had excluded his library folder.

Clinically Insane
Sep 12, 2009, 04:19 PM

Oh. Whoops. Sorry.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Mac Enthusiast
Sep 12, 2009, 05:38 PM

The Time Machine backups were corrupted. I believe this occurred because the backup drive (1 TB) was equal in size to the startup disk (1TB). My wife has a tendency to fill up her startup disk, and once the drive got to be over 900GB full, Time Machine got confused and crapped out. She typically doesn't let me know when something stops working on the computer(... or the car, or the house, or anything else).

Anywho, lesson learned: I'm getting a 1.5 TB for her startup and a 2TB for her TM backups.

My Sunday afternoon will be spent trying to rebuild her website from scratch in iWeb, since it's really the only web software she is interested in using at this point.

The funny thing is I doubt I'll be getting any bonus marriage points for this. This just counts towards the bare-minimum standard.
10.7.1 on Mac Pro 8x2.8

Clinically Insane
Sep 12, 2009, 06:07 PM

You could wget the site from the server, have you thought of doing that?

Mac Enthusiast
Sep 12, 2009, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
You could wget the site from the server, have you thought of doing that?
Is "wget" computer lingo, or is it a typo. I'm not sure how I would retrieve the site from the server and then import it into iWeb. What would be the procedure for this? Thanks.
10.7.1 on Mac Pro 8x2.8

Clinically Insane
Sep 12, 2009, 06:17 PM

it's a Unix command that downloads complete sites to a directory. I don't know if/how you could import the site back into iWeb though, I don't use iWeb.

Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2009, 03:22 AM

iWebs problem is that it isn't actually an html editor. You design on screen, it uses it's own internal code and when you're ready it spits out (weird) html.

Your uploaded site is html. iWeb doesn't understand how to read this and has no way of parsing the html back into iWebese. If iWeb was an html editor you would have no problem. I would imagine the challenge of writing code to parse html back into whatever iWeb can understand is pretty formidable, hence no import.

The only advantage of downloading the site would be that you would get a head start on the graphics used since these are normal png and jpeg files that you can re use in your layout. Plus you can cut and paste your text back into the pages. To download the site you will need your server's log in details plus an ftp app such as cyberduck or fetch to pull the site off the server.

Clinically Insane
Sep 13, 2009, 03:40 AM

I doubt that MobileMe uses insecure FTP, and I doubt that the ports and server hostname/IP that MobileMe uses to publish sites is public knowledge. Isn't iWeb basically just "publish to MobileMe", and *poof* it's done without you knowing any of the details how this happened? Hence, my wget suggestion.

I also disagree that these files will be useless to iWeb. iWeb just generates static HTML files. Somehow it knows how to delineate the regions and various blocks/sections of the page, and my guess is that it uses HTML comments to do this like Dreamweaver does. At any rate, when you download the files again, they should be exactly as they were uploaded, so it should just be a matter of pointing iWeb back at your site once you've downloaded it to your local disk. I have no idea whether this part will work or not, but I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that it won't. There is nothing technically preventing this from working.

You'll need to look at the flags for wget to tell it to ignore the robots.txt file used for search engine spiders, and you'll need the -r flag to tell it to traverse through your entire site structure. There are probably wget GUIs for OS X, I've never bothered to look.

If you send me the URL to the site I can download it myself and host a zip file of your site you can download, if you are comfortable with me doing this. Wget is not included in OS X, you'll have to Google "wget OS X" for some dude's binary installer, or install it via Darwinports/Fink. I can host a binary installer of wget for you to download and install too, if you are comfortable with that.

Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2009, 10:03 AM

Why would anyone use wget when you can simply drag and drop from your iDisk?

Either way, retrieving the exported HTML is of very limited use. iWeb doesn't work like Dreamweaver. It uses a custom representation of the web site that is stored in a custom format in the Domain file. That's what editable with iWeb. It then exports this into HTML. That's a one way procedure. There is no way to reimport HTML back into iWeb (similarly like it's not possible to import a PDF back into Word).

Clinically Insane
Sep 13, 2009, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
Why would anyone use wget when you can simply drag and drop from your iDisk?
Because you're besson and haven't actually used a Mac since your sister visited your house on Thanksgiving 2007 with her 400 MHz PowerBook running 10.2?

But you can compile a DNS from scratch on RedHat in under five minutes with the screen turned off!

Clinically Insane
Sep 13, 2009, 02:46 PM

Spheric: is that attack really necessary?

Tetenal: I didn't know that the iWeb site would be available via WebDAV/iDisk, I guess that makes life easier. Drag that iWeb can't do a damn thing with these files though. I just got a new Mac with iWeb 09, and I opened it up just to satisfy my curiosity. It's very odd that it has Google AdSense support, but not something as simple as an import/export function. Did older versions of iWeb have this? I can't remember what version I had on my old Mac, but I could have sworn that this was possible in earlier versions...

Oh well, sorry that my idea didn't pan out, original poster.

Forum Links
Forum Rules