Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Migrate iCal to Outlook 2011

Migrate iCal to Outlook 2011
Thread Tools
cgc
Professional Poster
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Down by the river
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 27, 2010, 05:00 PM
 
Does anyone know an easy way to migrate calendars from iCal to Outlook 2011? I can think of a few ways but they're definitely not straightforward and I'd like something simple if possible. Why can't iCal export a .csv?
"Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes." Frank Drebin, Naked Gun 33 1/3: The Final Insult
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: 888500128, C3, 2nd soft.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 27, 2010, 05:29 PM
 
Turn on syncing in Outlook's preferences?

Or did they remove that feature in 2011?
     
cgc  (op)
Professional Poster
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Down by the river
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 27, 2010, 06:24 PM
 
Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Turn on syncing in Outlook's preferences?

Or did they remove that feature in 2011?
That only synced the Outlook's Addressbook with the OSX one.

"Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes." Frank Drebin, Naked Gun 33 1/3: The Final Insult
     
cgc  (op)
Professional Poster
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Down by the river
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 27, 2010, 08:27 PM
 
Found the solution:

1. Export iCal calendars as .ics files
2. Go to the Calendar in Outlook
3. Drag and drop the .ics file on to the Outlook calendar and it imports it

If Apple wrote Outlook I'd have expected this behavior...good job MS (but it still should be in the Import dialog thing...sheesh).
"Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes." Frank Drebin, Naked Gun 33 1/3: The Final Insult
     
Banned
Join Date: Feb 2008
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 10, 2011, 05:54 PM
 
Originally Posted by cgc View Post
Found the solution:

1. Export iCal calendars as .ics files
2. Go to the Calendar in Outlook
3. Drag and drop the .ics file on to the Outlook calendar and it imports it

If Apple wrote Outlook I'd have expected this behavior...good job MS (but it still should be in the Import dialog thing...sheesh).


-No, this doesn't work. Does anyone have a real working solution to export iCal calendars to Outlook 2011, since iCal seems deliberately written to make migration/export difficult?
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: 888500128, C3, 2nd soft.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 10, 2011, 05:57 PM
 
Actually, in my experience, it's always been Outlook that tries its very damndest to discourage people from actually using it.
     
cgc  (op)
Professional Poster
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Down by the river
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 10, 2011, 08:00 PM
 
Originally Posted by mrrwthird View Post
-No, this doesn't work. Does anyone have a real working solution to export iCal calendars to Outlook 2011, since iCal seems deliberately written to make migration/export difficult?
This works like a champ; I've done it numerous times and I just did it again. I think you're overlooking the fact it's added as "uncategorized" and the calendar is not ticked or active. Once you add the calendar by dragging the .ics file onto the actual (monthly) calendar in Outlook 2011, you need to go to the calendar listing on the left-hand column and check the box next to "uncategorized" and it should show up. I can make a screen recording if you'd like but it should be simple once you look at the right spot.
     
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Apr 2011
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 23, 2011, 05:19 PM
 
Originally Posted by cgc View Post
This works like a champ; I've done it numerous times and I just did it again. I think you're overlooking the fact it's added as "uncategorized" and the calendar is not ticked or active. Once you add the calendar by dragging the .ics file onto the actual (monthly) calendar in Outlook 2011, you need to go to the calendar listing on the left-hand column and check the box next to "uncategorized" and it should show up. I can make a screen recording if you'd like but it should be simple once you look at the right spot.
Thank you for this post, but I would love some more help. After dragging the .ics files into the calendar grid/list, I knew it worked due to some alarms that popped up. But I cannot find the place to select "uncategorized" events. Could you please let me know where this is located. There is no option on the left hand column for me.
     
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Apr 2011
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 23, 2011, 05:25 PM
 
You have to make sure you have not checked the option to Hide the "On My Computer" folders. Once you make them visible, the .ics files you drag/dropped will appear.

Outlook > Preferences > General
Make sure to uncheck the box next to "Hide On My Computer folders".
     
cgc  (op)
Professional Poster
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Down by the river
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 24, 2011, 09:00 AM
 
If you install the Office 2011 Service Pack you can sync iCal and Outlook. Syncrospector should be in your Utilities folder...
     
   
Thread Tools
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:55 AM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2015 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2