Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > How do I stop preview and such from ever opening recently closed files.

How do I stop preview and such from ever opening recently closed files.
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 2, 2011, 08:31 PM

Is there a preference somewhere where I can stop the Lion behavior in some apps that opens files I did not manually close before quitting the app such as Preview? Is this the auto save feature? I would also like to turn that off also if it is a separate thing. I do not use time machine so I dont think the auto save is on but cant find a specific setting in the pref panes.

I put this is Apps because I dont know if it an OS thing or app level thing.

I realize I can just close the file before quitting the app, but i dont want to as I have never had to before Lion. If I want a recent file i will got to the file menu and use "open recent".

Thanks

Professional Poster
Sep 2, 2011, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by BigWheel88 View Post
Is there a preference somewhere where I can stop the Lion behavior in some apps that opens files I did not manually close before quitting the app such as Preview? Is this the auto save feature? I would also like to turn that off also if it is a separate thing. I do not use time machine so I dont think the auto save is on but cant find a specific setting in the pref panes.

I put this is Apps because I dont know if it an OS thing or app level thing.

I realize I can just close the file before quitting the app, but i dont want to as I have never had to before Lion. If I want a recent file i will got to the file menu and use "open recent".

Thanks
There is a preference for that, however it is for all applications so unless you use a "defaults write" terminal command it's all or nothing. If you don't want to turn it off for any apps, just make sure all the windows are closed before quitting the app.

If you want to turn it off for all apps, go to the General panel of System Preferences and under the "Number of recent items:" section uncheck the box next to "Restore windows when quitting and re-opening apps."

If you want to turn it off for only some apps, then follow the instructions posted here.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 2, 2011, 09:57 PM

Thank you. that's exactly what I was looking for. I do want it off for all apps.

Mac Enthusiast
Sep 3, 2011, 06:53 AM

RestoreMeNot may be the answer. Well, at least a partial answer.

I have not yet tested it, but accruing to the developer:
"...one might not want the windows of a certain application to be restored when launching it. Unfortunately window restoration can only be disabled system-wide and not on a per-application basis.

This is where RestoreMeNot comes in and provides a simple preference pane for disabling window restoration for individual applications."

Should anyone give this a go, please post your findings/review.

P.S. I have now been running RestoreMeNot for 1 day and am pleased to report that AFAIK, it works as advertised.
( Last edited by pendragon; Sep 3, 2011 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Additional data)
Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.10.3), iPhone 5 (iOS 8.3)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2011, 04:04 PM

What about some "Close all open windows" option in the menu, Apple? sometimes I'll close an app just because it has too many windows and I don't want to close them one by one.. I would piss me off if they would all reopen when I relaunch the app. Safari comes to mind.

Addicted to MacNN
Sep 4, 2011, 01:30 AM

Resuminator by Erica Sadun.

Addicted to MacNN
Sep 4, 2011, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by FireWire View Post
What about some "Close all open windows" option in the menu, Apple? sometimes I'll close an app just because it has too many windows and I don't want to close them one by one..
Command-Shift-W

Forum Links
Forum Rules