Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > APC UPS Mac software?

APC UPS Mac software?
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2011, 10:36 AM

I'm looking to get an inexpensive UPS for my Mac Mini set-up.

The main requirement in that there be a way to disable any beeping alarm that the unit makes when it goes to battery mode and that it function well with the built-in Energy Saver-UPS settings in System Preferences for shutting down the Mini.

The APC website doesn't even seem to mention any Mac software (which I assume I would need use at least once to turn off the beep settings...)

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2011, 05:17 PM

Thanks. I didn't even know I could do this. I don't have a Mac solution, but I'm going to install the software on my Windows laptop to shut off the beeps. It's pretty jarring at 3 in the morning.

Professional Poster
Sep 20, 2011, 08:13 PM

I have a APC ups, lets say its not new. It has a USb connection works just fine with energy saver. Can't stop the beeping though. I just let the machine shutdown then turn off the UPS.

Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2011, 09:11 PM

I also didn't know this was an option. I think I'll leave the beeping on (knock on wood), but I did discover this that might help you:

Use a third-party APC UPS management tool for more control - Mac OS X Hints

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 23, 2011, 11:59 AM

Since you haven't bought anything yet, another option is to just spend a little more and get a unit with an LCD panel and control buttons. No additional software needed. These buttons allow you to mute the unit. Both my Cyberpower and APC units with LCD screens have this feature. (I'm still gonna have to run that Windows software to set the mute on my LCD-less units though.)

The other benefit of spending a bit more is that the battery is usually bigger on the LCD units as compared to the cheap LCD-less units.

Just wait until your local shop or online store puts them on sale. I just picked up a Cyberpower 850 VA unit with LCD from Dell Canada for $79.99. I missed the $68 sale on this unit by mere minutes.

My APC 1300 VA unit cost significantly more though. It was $139.99 last year at Future Shop on sale.

Clinically Insane
Sep 23, 2011, 04:26 PM

I've been wanting a new UPS for some time but always seem to miss out on sales. I wonder if there's any particular period in a year where they get discounted.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Mac Enthusiast
Sep 23, 2011, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
I've been wanting a new UPS for some time but always seem to miss out on sales. I wonder if there's any particular period in a year where they get discounted.
I always miss out on everything... I am cheap, but not a very good bargain hunter.

The LDC control panel option looks like a good choice - not having to deal with any additional software.

I actually have a half decent CyberPower UPS sitting in my closet. Every time I would turn it on it would give off a plastic/chemical smell. I never got around to exchanging it.

-Q-
Sep 23, 2011, 05:36 PM

APC used to make a Mac-compatible version of their PowerChute software but it looks like it only works on pre-Snow Leopard versions. I do recall using it to make the beep on my cheap APC UPS become silent. Looks like APC directly said to use a Windows PC (or older Mac) to do more advanced management functions: Snow Leopard, UPS, and a missing PowerChute | Accessories | Mac 911 | Macworld

Administrator
Sep 24, 2011, 09:09 AM

I've resorted to using a PC laptop to disable the alert sounds on all my APC UPS units. Aside from that, I like everything about their products. OS X manages everything else about the UPS for you, so the only real issue is switching off that annoying beep. Too bad they don't have a mechanical switch for that, like their earlier models had.

I tend to over-spec my UPS choices. If I expect to "need" 350 volt-amps, I buy a 500 VA unit. etc. Just a couple of weekends ago I bought a new Back-UPS 550ES to replace an ancient 500VA model. Best Buy was selling these for $59, with their 650VA version at the same price-but there was a catch: the 650 had less surge suppression and didn't even offer telephone line protection. In this case, I went with the more capable unit (that is still above minimum requirements for my application). They have a 350VA unit for a bit less: $55... Yeah, that was a hard decision to make.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 24, 2011, 12:02 PM

If you need 350 VA and buy a 500, with most lower priced units that might only give you 3-4 minutes of of backup. For some usage that's OK but for other usage that's not. I have that 850 VA hooked up to only a VDSL2 modem, a 24-port Gigabit switch, and a cable TV signal amplifier. Total power usage 20 Watts or 34 VA according to the LCD. However according to the unit, it should last well over an hour if the power goes out. I find that some units overestimate their battery life but even if so it means I should still have at least about 45 minutes of internet access if the power goes out.

The other benefit of the mid end consumer units is that they include data line surge suppression. I run my DSL line (before the modem) through the UPS, with no degradation of the speed (25 Mbps down / 7 Mbps up) and no reduction of the sync reliability.

Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 27, 2011, 01:46 PM

I have had an APC device for a few years. I did use Power Chute initially but I do not recall any option to silence the beeping. This may just be my device. It has been years since I used the APC software as OS X took over management seamlessly. I have reason to need the UPS as my power supply is not reliable. It shuts down nicely and on reboot opens everything as it was on shutdown. Except for silencing the beeping I can recommend it.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 27, 2011, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
I have had an APC device for a few years. I did use Power Chute initially but I do not recall any option to silence the beeping. This may just be my device. It has been years since I used the APC software as OS X took over management seamlessly. I have reason to need the UPS as my power supply is not reliable. It shuts down nicely and on reboot opens everything as it was on shutdown. Except for silencing the beeping I can recommend it.
PowerChute (which is Windows only) does indeed support silencing of the beep. I've silenced it with two different (LCD-less) APC units now. But as you said, it may depend on the particular model.

Administrator
Sep 27, 2011, 10:21 PM

Some older models aren't supported by any available version of Power Chute, and others connect via hard to find cables (like one that plugs into an RJ45 socket on one end and a D9 comm port on the other...) so even using a Windows computer to change the settings doesn't guarantee success. But any relatively current model will be amenable to "silencing"with a Windows computer and the correct cable. Most current models use a cable that's RJ45 on the UPS end and USB on the computer end.

Mac Enthusiast
Jan 2, 2012, 04:08 AM

So, I ended up getting a CyberPower CP850PFCLCD UPS 850VA mini tower.

The thing gave off such a bad plastic/chemical smell that didn't go away within a week so I sent it back.

Are there any consumer UPS's that don't give off a chemical smell?

I have another UPS with the same issue. but I have just been using it as a power strip because whenever I turn it on and it starts to get warm it still gives off a caustic smell (and this is after having it sit out for over 3 years!).
In fact, I just turned it on a few hours ago and it's giving off a damn smell even now...

This whole UPS situation is insane,
I need a UPS because the power in my area is so f*@&ing bad - it goes off for a few seconds at least twice a month (just long enough to shut everything down.)
But every modern UPS I try is unusable!

I have been using an ancient Belkin unit that doesn't really even do anything - it just turns itself off whenever there is an outage which is the same as if it wan't there at all. And today, it totally stopped supplying any power at all (even as a power strip).

I guess this is my punishment for having a desktop rather than a laptop.

Administrator
Jan 2, 2012, 07:33 AM

I've never had an odor issue with an APC unit. Their current packaging includes ONE plastic bag that encloses the unit, the rest being cardboard and formed pulp. No odor. I like both the warranty and track record APC bring to the game over anything from almost any other UPS maker. The one exception is TrippLite which has been at this for a little longer than APC and has comparable warranty coverage. The only down side is that it's much harder to find TrippLite units where I shop and shipping an UPS is expensive.

Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2012, 09:27 AM

I have in mind to buy the APC BE700G. I am fine with OS X supporting it out of the box, so lack of software doesn't matter to me. I intend to use it with an iMac 27", this review suggest is a good choice.

Anyone has any experience with this APC model ?

Mac Enthusiast
Jan 2, 2012, 02:34 PM

I can't even comprehend how this chemical smell could persist after 2+ years.
I am so mad about this that I am ready to move into a shack with no lights/appliances/computers!

A search for 'APC UPS chemical odor' yields a few posts. (my issue isn't the 'rotten egg smell', it's more of a generic chemical/plastic smell)

Maybe some of us are more sensitive/aware of it than others?

Addicted to MacNN
Jan 11, 2012, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
I have in mind to buy the APC BE700G (…)
So I bought the APC BE700G. It does work out of the box with OS X (running Lion here) as seamlessly as Jonesy asserts.

Forum Links
Forum Rules