Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > I recorded a show via my DVD recorder. How do I get it onto my iMac?

I recorded a show via my DVD recorder. How do I get it onto my iMac?
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 6, 2012, 10:09 PM

I recorded a show on my brand new Toshiba DVD & VCR recorder/player. I finalized the DVD disc. I can play the DVD disc and watch the show on my brand new Toshiba DVD & VCR recorder/player, but when I put the disc into my iMac it shows up as a blank disc w/nothing on it.

Where is the file? Why does it not show up on my iMac? I want to edit a little bit out of the show and post it on YouTube. What am I doing wrong?

I have an iMac w/OS 10.6.8... I have iMovie & iDVD but have never used them.

(FYI this is my first home DVD recorder so I am pretty ignorant about this video stuff. I just want to take my appearance on a TV show and put it on YouTube.)

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 6, 2012, 11:11 PM

Which DVD recorder?

Does it play in other DVD players?

Sometimes these recorders make non-standard DVDs.

Addicted to MacNN
Jan 6, 2012, 11:26 PM

Check the manual that shipped with your Toshiba recorder. It probably tells you how to get shows onto a computer. If there isn't a special way to do it, you'll probably have to rip the DVD into a quicktime file. There is lots of help on the web covering how to rip DVDs.

If the DVD is a standard DVD, it should play in your Mac.
If it's not a standard DVD, then the recorder probably used a special format. In that case, there has to be an option to have the machine create a standard DVD.

tpicco  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 6, 2012, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Which DVD recorder?

Does it play in other DVD players?

Sometimes these recorders make non-standard DVDs.
um... i only have one DVD player... I will have to visit friends...

Addicted to MacNN
Jan 6, 2012, 11:57 PM

If the iMac is reading it as a blank DVDR then it either doesn't like that particular brand of media or it has an issue with its drive. I have seen this happen before. Its worth trying it again before coming to either of those conclusions. Run updates and reboot the iMac and maybe even burn another copy if you can. If two copies show blank but work fine in a DVD player then I'd say there is a fault with the iMac DVD drive.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 7, 2012, 12:55 AM

Not necessarily. Years ago I had a Panasonic DVD recorder than would burn finalized discs that worked fine in all the standalone DVD players I tried, but wouldn't work in my Macs. It was an OS X compatibility issue.

Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2012, 01:14 AM

Does it show up in a DVD ripper such as Handbrake? Even though it doesn't show in the osx system, you might try downloading Handbrake, a free DVD ripper and seein if it can see the DVDs contents

Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2012, 01:24 PM

If OS X doesn't see it all, thats one thing. If its recognising a burned disc as a blank one, its usually a fault. Replacing the DVD drive usually fixes it, I've seen it many, many times. DVD drives can develop all sorts of weird faults. If a disc works in all drives but yours, there is something wrong with your drive. I wouldn't call that a compatibility issue. If it doesn't work in any Mac, then its a compatibility issue.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Clinically Insane
Jan 9, 2012, 02:59 AM

You have to ensure, first of all, that you're finalizing the disc before trying to play it on a Mac or any other device besides your recorder. There's a menu command that does it. Otherwise, it will only play on your recorder. Once it's finalized, it should show up just fine on your Mac, and you'll be able to copy the VideoTS file(s) right over to your hard drive for further software editing/manipulation.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Forum Links
Forum Rules