Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Problems with Handbrake

Problems with Handbrake
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 31, 2012, 04:12 AM

Last year a person here posted this: "Why is it that whenever I try to convert one of my movies on Handbrake I get the popup window saying "put down that cocktail" before the movie is even converted?"

Well, I'm having the same problem. I'm not tech savy enough to be able to find the activity logs, but I have tried deleting and installing both the 32 bit and 64 bit versions of Handbrake and VLC, but I have the same problem: when I try to convert a DVD, no matter what type, I get the popup window telling me to put down the cocktail" before anything is converted.

I've tried other conversion problems all night, and none of them are nearly as good as Handbrake. I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

Addicted to MacNN
Jan 31, 2012, 04:30 PM

I had that problem before, and in my case the destination folder was not writable. The program didn't bother telling me why it wouldn't write there, it just ended the process.

You can look in the system log in addition to the Handbrake log. The system log is viewed in the program: /Applications/Utilities/Console.app. The Handbrake log is viewed in the "Activity Window" which is the second toolbar item on the right in the Handbrake app window (next to "toggle presets"). Have both these windows open, and see if anything new gets printed when you click "start".

Posting Junkie
Jan 31, 2012, 09:30 PM

Post the encoding log (from the encode, not the scan) so we can see what you're doing.

"Put that cocktail down" is just their stupid message to say your queue has completed, success or failure.

Forum Links
Forum Rules