Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Photoshop: How do you like the look, really?

Photoshop: How do you like the look, really?
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2013, 07:05 AM

Hello,

I don't know if you will find this a viable Topic of debate, but I just switched my mum's Photoshop from a pretty old version (for teachers) to a new version of Photoshop Elements, and so there is 'new' look of Photoshop, apparently the look for a few years now. Do you really like it?

It's a bit over-modern, then it feels pretty retro sometimes, then it feels a bit careless, then good again. It may well be true we'll just get used to it over time, but eben though, I think it looks rather strange.
However: Wasn't it made to be color-neutral? It feels like this a bit, to have a more consistent Workspace, in a way.

Any opinions? I looked around and I couldn't find any settings to at least adjust this a bit. Some discussion feels helpful, hmm.

Greetings,
PeteParker

Clinically Insane
Jan 6, 2013, 08:30 AM

It is completely obvious that Adobe decided a while ago not to give a flying **** about how the Mac works, and what a Mac application should look and work like.

Whoever is responsible for those weird overlay/underlay interface elements and window arrangement buttons and wizards (good lord! - wizards!) needs to be taken out back, beaten to a pulp, and buried in the landfill where they dumped the remaining Apple Lisa stock.

Jan 6, 2013, 08:39 AM

Comparing the look of an old version of Photoshop to the latest version of Photoshop Elements is a bit silly. It's two different animals. Heck, Elements doesn't look much like the current version of Photoshop itself. Now, had you replaced the old version of Photoshop with the latest Photoshop, you'd have found enough similarity to feel more-or-less right at home. The UI in Photoshop is customizable, too, so you can arrange things to feel more familiar.

That's not to excuse Adobe's overall UI experience. They've long ignored many Mac standards, opting to go off on their own path. Their installers, for instance. Even Microsoft employs a standard OSX installer UI.
OMG!!! We did it!!!!

Jan 6, 2013, 10:34 AM

yep, elements is different.

We just upgraded to CS6 and I'm really wondering why bother. CS3 was actually pretty good, and I don't remember using many of the new features of CS4 or CS5.

Also, is this the place where I gripe about the neon icon colors? Dreamweaver is especially painful in the dock.

Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2013, 11:16 AM

So why did upgrade to CS6 when you think you wouldn't really use the Features...? Uh?

Other than that, hmm, I know it's a bit of an over-change from an older PS to a very new PS Elements, even though, this whole look is not so unsimilar. Btw, what can you really configure in these things in Photoshop? Curious...

Jan 6, 2013, 11:26 AM

Usually, you upgrade for the sake of compatibility. I don't think CS3 is compatible with OS X 10.8. So, if andi*pandi was upgrading her Mac to 10.8, she might also have had to upgrade her Adobe apps. That's really the only reason I upgrade my Adobe apps.

In Photoshop, the big UI adjustments are whether you work full-screen or in a more traditional mode. You can also keep whatever panels you need visible and hide the rest, and make that the default workspace.
OMG!!! We did it!!!!

Jan 6, 2013, 12:23 PM

Work upgraded. Usually they are very slow to upgrade (we kind of mushed cs4 and 5 together) but we upgraded to 10.7 and they gave us cs6 at the same time.

Forum Links
Forum Rules