Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Recover deleted User

Recover deleted User
Thread Tools
Forum Regular
Join Date: Mar 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 6, 2013, 07:58 AM
 
Hi everyone,

I normally have 2 users on my computer. I saved some documents on one of the user that I don't use too often. I don't know what I was thinking when I deleted one of the user as a method to clear more hard drive space. Not sure why I've done that. Is there's a way just to recover that user? I tried several software that can recover everything I've deleted in the past. (some 100GB), it will take me forever to get through these datas and I bound to miss some important datas.

I also had look at the deleted users folder, there is nothing in that folder.

Thank you everyone.

Cheers
Nathan
iMac 24 Inch, 2.93 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, 640 GB Hard drive, 256 MB NVIDIA
iPhone5 64GB Black
1TB Time Capsule
     
Moderator
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: inside 128, north of 90
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 6, 2013, 10:12 AM
 
do you use time machine or any other backup?
     
Forum Regular
Join Date: Mar 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 6, 2013, 07:55 PM
 
Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
do you use time machine or any other backup?
Not really, I forgot to back up everything on that user.
iMac 24 Inch, 2.93 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, 640 GB Hard drive, 256 MB NVIDIA
iPhone5 64GB Black
1TB Time Capsule
     
Administrator
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: California
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 6, 2013, 08:05 PM
 
Your only real choice is the file-recovery method then.

If you can afford it, get an external HD, and install/clone your system onto it. Boot and work from the external while recovering files from the main drive.

Reason: deleted files are not protected. The less you use the internal drive, the more files you'll be able to recover. Also, since you're short on HD space, you need workspace to recover files to. So get an external, and make it at least 2x the size of the internal.

Once you've recovered all the files you want to (might take a few weeks of free-time work), copy them back to the internal drive. The external will become your Time Machine volume. So this doesn't happen again.
     
Forum Regular
Join Date: Mar 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 7, 2013, 08:16 PM
 
Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
Your only real choice is the file-recovery method then.

If you can afford it, get an external HD, and install/clone your system onto it. Boot and work from the external while recovering files from the main drive.

Reason: deleted files are not protected. The less you use the internal drive, the more files you'll be able to recover. Also, since you're short on HD space, you need workspace to recover files to. So get an external, and make it at least 2x the size of the internal.

Once you've recovered all the files you want to (might take a few weeks of free-time work), copy them back to the internal drive. The external will become your Time Machine volume. So this doesn't happen again.
Thank you, I have a very basic question, how do you install/clone my system onto the external hard drive?
iMac 24 Inch, 2.93 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, 640 GB Hard drive, 256 MB NVIDIA
iPhone5 64GB Black
1TB Time Capsule
     
Moderator
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Hilbert space
Status: Online
Reply With Quote
May 7, 2013, 09:01 PM
 
Originally Posted by nathanxu View Post
Thank you, I have a very basic question, how do you install/clone my system onto the external hard drive?
The easiest way is to start using Apple's Time Machine which comes with the operating system. Plug in the external hard drive, go to the System Preferences > Time Machine, switch on Time Machine and select the external hard drive for Time Machine backups.

After an initial backup (which may take some time), it will just copy the changes and keep old files for a while. As long as you keep your external hard drive plugged in, Time Machine will back up automatically. That's all you need to remember

Just one thing to remember when you buy the drive: the external hard drive has to be big enough, I'd say twice as big as the hard drive you're backing up. You can also use the Time Capsule that you mention in your sig instead of an external hard drive.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
     
Forum Regular
Join Date: Mar 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 7, 2013, 09:21 PM
 
Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
The easiest way is to start using Apple's Time Machine which comes with the operating system. Plug in the external hard drive, go to the System Preferences > Time Machine, switch on Time Machine and select the external hard drive for Time Machine backups.

After an initial backup (which may take some time), it will just copy the changes and keep old files for a while. As long as you keep your external hard drive plugged in, Time Machine will back up automatically. That's all you need to remember

Just one thing to remember when you buy the drive: the external hard drive has to be big enough, I'd say twice as big as the hard drive you're backing up. You can also use the Time Capsule that you mention in your sig instead of an external hard drive.
Thank you for your reply. Can I just clarify that I thought Time Machine can only get things back for the part you've backed up in the past. I have never backed up anything under that user. So I am trying to recover something I've never backed up before.
iMac 24 Inch, 2.93 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, 640 GB Hard drive, 256 MB NVIDIA
iPhone5 64GB Black
1TB Time Capsule
     
Administrator
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: California
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 7, 2013, 10:40 PM
 
To clone to another drive, fire up Disk Utility. It would be better if you did this from the OSX Install disk rather than booted from the drive you're cloning.

In Disk Utility, select the new drive in the left pane. Click on the Partition tab. Make sure it's an HFS+ (Mac OS Extended) volume, and the partition map scheme (shown at bottom of DU window) is GUID. If not, set Volume Scheme to 1 partition, click on (Options...) button to select GUID partition table, and partition.

Click on the Restore tab.

For your Source, choose the internal drive. The new external will be the Destination. Click the "Restore" button to clone the drive to the external.

Optional step: rename the external to easily tell them apart.

To reboot into the clone, System Preferences -> Startup Disk -> (select external)
     
Moderator
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Hilbert space
Status: Online
Reply With Quote
May 8, 2013, 09:56 AM
 
Originally Posted by nathanxu View Post
Can I just clarify that I thought Time Machine can only get things back for the part you've backed up in the past. I have never backed up anything under that user. So I am trying to recover something I've never backed up before.
You're right, it will not get back any of the data you've lost now, but it offers protection for the future. Sorry, I should have made that clear.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
     
Forum Regular
Join Date: Mar 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 8, 2013, 05:46 PM
 
Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
To clone to another drive, fire up Disk Utility. It would be better if you did this from the OSX Install disk rather than booted from the drive you're cloning.

In Disk Utility, select the new drive in the left pane. Click on the Partition tab. Make sure it's an HFS+ (Mac OS Extended) volume, and the partition map scheme (shown at bottom of DU window) is GUID. If not, set Volume Scheme to 1 partition, click on (Options...) button to select GUID partition table, and partition.

Click on the Restore tab.

For your Source, choose the internal drive. The new external will be the Destination. Click the "Restore" button to clone the drive to the external.

Optional step: rename the external to easily tell them apart.

To reboot into the clone, System Preferences -> Startup Disk -> (select external)
Thank you for your help.

I did all the above. I then restarted from the Startup Disk. However, I still couldn't see the deleted user. How do I recover deleted user from here?

Thank you again
iMac 24 Inch, 2.93 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, 640 GB Hard drive, 256 MB NVIDIA
iPhone5 64GB Black
1TB Time Capsule
     
Moderator
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Hilbert space
Status: Online
Reply With Quote
May 8, 2013, 08:40 PM
 
Originally Posted by nathanxu View Post
I did all the above. I then restarted from the Startup Disk. However, I still couldn't see the deleted user. How do I recover deleted user from here?
You can't, cloning is just one to protect yourself against hard drive failure (although regular backups provide much more protection). The only piece of software that can recover files at this point is something like Data Rescue.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
     
Forum Regular
Join Date: Mar 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 8, 2013, 08:55 PM
 
Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
You can't, cloning is just one to protect yourself against hard drive failure (although regular backups provide much more protection). The only piece of software that can recover files at this point is something like Data Rescue.
Thank you, does this software have the ability to sorting through files for that user only? I have tried on other software a where is recovered almost 220GB of files.(all the files I have ever deleted on muiltple users. I only need to recover files on one of the user.
iMac 24 Inch, 2.93 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, 640 GB Hard drive, 256 MB NVIDIA
iPhone5 64GB Black
1TB Time Capsule
     
Administrator
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: California
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 8, 2013, 09:12 PM
 
Use whatever recovery software you are happy with. But boot and work from the external clone in the meantime. You don't want to do *anything* on the internal HD until you've recovered all the files you plan to.

The more you use a drive, the more of those deleted files will get overwritten as their space gets reused. Hence cloning to an external and booting from there until all recovery is finished.
     
   
Thread Tools
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:20 PM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2015 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2