Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Does remote desktop still exist?

Does remote desktop still exist?
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2013, 04:34 AM

Howdy,

have been away for a few years, well, somehow... My parents have iMacs running 10.8, can they use some sort of Remote Desktop app (Timbuktu it was in the past, I think) to see the other's screen over the network? Does this work online so I could get a MacBook Air and do remote support for them?

Greetings,
PeterParker

P
Jun 29, 2013, 11:49 AM

Yes, it's built-in to the OS these days. Apple calls it Screen Sharing. You have to enable it on each Mac in the Sharing control panel (including a special setting to enable remote control), and then you connect to it in the Connect to Server... box in the Finder. If there are no firewalls or NAT routers in the way, it should work over the internet.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2013, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Yes, it's built-in to the OS these days. Apple calls it Screen Sharing. You have to enable it on each Mac in the Sharing control panel (including a special setting to enable remote control), and then you connect to it in the Connect to Server... box in the Finder. If there are no firewalls or NAT routers in the way, it should work over the internet.
So, what's a NAT router? We have a normal router, but, honestly, I haven't heard of anyone without a router for many years, at least in Germany. So doesn't this work if my parents - two iMacs - are behind a router? Hmm.

Clinically Insane
Jun 30, 2013, 03:46 PM

If you have a router with NAT, you would have to use Port Forwarding to make it work.

At that point, the better route to go is using the free LogMeIn Hamachi to create a VPN that includes all of your family's computers.

-t

P
Jun 30, 2013, 04:06 PM

NAT = Network Address Translation. Basically, you're given one IP number for the entire network and then you have a NAT router that makes one internal network and routes signals from the computers inside to the outside internet. The problem is when there is a new connection from outside, something that starts outside without a connection having been made form the inside first. Then the router doesn't know where to send the incoming connection and will simply drop it. The alternative to this is that you simply have a switch and each computer on the inside is exposed to the outside network with its own number.

Since just about any router on the market can be made to run as a switch as well, especially those included in a modem from an ISP, you have to check what your IP number is. Go to System Preferences and click Network. If your IP address begins with 192.168. or with 10., you are behind a NAT. If it is something else, you are on the big bad Internet.

To make this work with NAT, you either have to set up port forwarding on your parents' router or make a VPN as turtle suggests, but check the number first.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Clinically Insane
Jun 30, 2013, 04:36 PM

It may be easier to just use Remote Desktop. They sell it in the Mac App Store. I use it to run my headless Mini Servers.

I'd check to see what it costs, but since I have it I'm guessing it won't tell me.

Clinically Insane
Jun 30, 2013, 05:25 PM

Remote Desktop does NOT solve the NAT issue. It's just another (more capable) client for screen sharing.

There is another alternative to get no hassle VPNs that create full Bonjour capability: check out Slink from slinkware.com

-t
( Last edited by turtle777; Jun 30, 2013 at 08:39 PM. )

Clinically Insane
Jun 30, 2013, 06:33 PM

Whoops... Misread his post.

Forum Links
Forum Rules