Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Smart Preference Settings for Safari?

Smart Preference Settings for Safari?
Forum Regular
Aug 23, 2013, 08:28 PM

The way I use Safari when I begin the day is to open a segment of tabs for sports/news then a second segment for Apple-related news. Recently, I installed Memory Clean and noticed that my working memory drops from around an initial 2GB to a couple of tens of MB working this way--which makes for a sluggish Safari. So I've taken to quitting Safari after finishing each segment of tabs to get back to the 2GB level.
Is this the way Safari works? Or is there a Preference setting for tabs I need to change to maintain a reasonable level of memory without having to quit the software each time? Would reducing the number of tabs in each segment be the answer? Or What?

Clinically Insane
Aug 24, 2013, 03:31 PM

I would uninstall memory clean, you don't need something to "manage" your memory, and you don't need to worry about the memory consumption numbers, that's the OS X kernel's job to fuss over.

High memory usage is nothing to be concerned with providing you aren't using virtual memory. In fact, high memory usage is often a good thing - it demonstrates that the app is using the memory that is available to it for caching and performance optimization.

When performance seems sluggish, it may be the sign of a memory leak, or in other words, application bugs. Some third party memory management utility will not fix or work around a leaky application, the only fix for that is for the vendor to fix the app (or, perhaps, in some cases, Apple to fix OS X).

Your best bet is to try another browser, keep on quitting Safari periodically like you have been, wait for Apple to fix this, add more RAM, or install an SSD if you don't already have one. You aren't going to find any third party software that will improve Safari performance for you.

Clinically Insane
Aug 25, 2013, 04:51 AM

If you have free RAM, your computer is wasting resources.

Clinically Insane
Aug 25, 2013, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
If you have free RAM, your computer is wasting resources.
Well, that's not necessarily true. There are jobs that simply can't make use of excessive amounts of RAM because they simply don't require much in the way of resources.

Clinically Insane
Aug 25, 2013, 06:11 AM

Not normally, though, and certainly not when running Safari.

Clinically Insane
Aug 25, 2013, 06:20 AM

Not normally, though, and certainly not when running Safari.
If you have 32 GB of RAM Safari is simply not going to use that much to display a single webpage in a single tab containing nothing but the words "hello world" on it.

Clinically Insane
Aug 25, 2013, 07:21 AM

So, is there a conceivable usage scenario where that might be the case, or are you just hell-bent on proving me wrong for posting what I consider a good rule of thumb for people trying to second-guess OS X's memory management?

Clinically Insane
Aug 25, 2013, 12:19 PM

I'm modifying your rule of thumb to include an important caveat: this rule applies only up to a particular point.

Clinically Insane
Aug 25, 2013, 01:28 PM

Clinically Insane
Aug 25, 2013, 01:57 PM

Is everything okay? What's with this unnecessary aggressive behavior?

Forum Links
Forum Rules