Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Safari is asking for flash

Safari is asking for flash
Thread Tools
Mac Elite
Join Date: May 2001
Status: Offline
Jul 8, 2014, 03:15 AM
 
This is real odd because Safari was opening flash websites fine before. I just did the new OS upgrade, yet that did not solve it so I'm stumped. Software updates says everything is current. and I did the flash update too. thanks.
     
Professional Poster
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Hamburg
Status: Offline
Jul 8, 2014, 10:23 AM
 
Originally Posted by jeff k View Post
thanks.
Welcome.
And your question is?

I guess now that flash isn't working anymore after you updated the OS to 10.6.8 like your signature is saying, or to OS 10.?.? ...and you updated flash to version ?
Does this website work with Firefox or Chrome/Chromium (they have build in flash and don't need the plugin)?
Do you maybe have any Safari plugin installed that might prevent flash from working - like "clicktoflash"?
***
     
jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Join Date: May 2001
Status: Offline
Jul 8, 2014, 01:32 PM
 
Thanks Badidea, to clarify. Flash is working fine. Firefox, Chrome, no problem.
Have no idea why Safari is asking for flash. I even installed it again. I've never heard of clicktoflash.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: 888500128, C3, 2nd soft.
Status: Offline
Jul 8, 2014, 02:12 PM
 
Make sure you install the LATEST VERSION of Flash.

Safari will block any outdated version for security reasons.
     
Banned
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Kent, Washington (Up in God's Country!)
Status: Offline
Jul 8, 2014, 02:38 PM
 
Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Make sure you install the LATEST VERSION of Flash.

Safari will block any outdated version for security reasons.
That's excellent advice! On a daily basis (at least 3 or 4 times a day), I visit Apple Mac OS X Software & Apps - Discover & Download : MacUpdate to see if there are any software updates for products I use. Yes, one can try and rely on programs to tell you that a newer version is available, but that's not always the case.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: 888500128, C3, 2nd soft.
Status: Offline
Jul 8, 2014, 05:51 PM
 
Originally Posted by akent35 View Post
On a daily basis (at least 3 or 4 times a day), I visit Apple Mac OS X Software & Apps - Discover & Download : MacUpdate to see if there are any software updates for products I use.
Three or for times A DAY? That's positively neurotic.
     
jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Join Date: May 2001
Status: Offline
Jul 8, 2014, 11:29 PM
 
S,
But I just downloaded from the link that came up to download flash provided!

Anyway update: is was not current. Now it is, but Safari says it's not current, — Firefox and Chrome say it is current.
( Last edited by jeff k; Jul 9, 2014 at 01:11 AM. )
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: 888500128, C3, 2nd soft.
Status: Offline
Jul 9, 2014, 03:55 AM
 
Please do not EVER download things directly from pop-up warnings in Safari. You really don't know what you're downloading, and faking other software to trick people into downloading and installing malware is a common attack vector that has been used on OS X in the past.

For Flash, go into system preferences and in the Flash panel, click "check for updates".
     
Banned
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Kent, Washington (Up in God's Country!)
Status: Offline
Jul 9, 2014, 08:55 AM
 
Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Three or for times A DAY? That's positively neurotic.
But, it's not an example of "Stupid is as stupid does". Such examples I leave for you.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: 888500128, C3, 2nd soft.
Status: Offline
Jul 9, 2014, 09:05 AM
 


I honestly have no idea what it is with you, but you make me laugh.

Thanks.
     
Banned
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Kent, Washington (Up in God's Country!)
Status: Offline
Jul 9, 2014, 09:33 AM
 
Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post


I honestly have no idea what it is with you, but you make me laugh.

Thanks.
And, you make me smile everyday, with continuing to exhibit "Stupid is as stupid does". Since this is the 20th anniversary of that excellent movie "Forrest Gump", your timing is impeccable. Also, I have been seeking out examples of this behavior over the past 5 months or so. Thank you so, so much for providing numerous examples.

As Clint said: "Go ahead, make my day". Thanks for doing that for me everyday! :I know I can count on you to do this!
     
Moderator
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: inside 128, north of 90
Status: Offline
Jul 9, 2014, 11:51 AM
 
ahem, not everything needs to be a p!ssing match.
     
jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Join Date: May 2001
Status: Offline
Jul 9, 2014, 01:55 PM
 
S, thanks, ok did the check in system prefs, it's up to date, FF and Chrome are ok. Yet Safari still says it needs flash. Stumped.
     
Banned
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Kent, Washington (Up in God's Country!)
Status: Offline
Jul 9, 2014, 02:22 PM
 
Originally Posted by jeff k View Post
S, thanks, ok did the check in system prefs, it's up to date, FF and Chrome are ok. Yet Safari still says it needs flash. Stumped.
jeff, I "occasionally" using Safari 7.0.5, and I just visited a site, clicked on a video that uses flash, and it worked fine. (It did not play in Firefox, but that's another issue. On quite a few other sites, videos play fine in Firefox). In fact, that Safari test I did was with the prior version of Flash. I just installed the newest version (14.0.0.145) on my MacMini (did it last night via my Mac Book Air), just ran the test again, and it worked fine.

Maybe you should uninstall, and then re-install Safari (not sure what the latest version is for Snow Leopard). V7.0.x requires Mavericks, and 6.1.x is for Lion and Mountain Lion. V14.0.0.145 of Flash is compatible with OS 10.6 and later, and Safari V5.0 and later.
( Last edited by akent35; Jul 9, 2014 at 02:44 PM. )
     
jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Join Date: May 2001
Status: Offline
Jul 9, 2014, 03:10 PM
 
Safari says 7.0.5

I think Flash is ok, other two browswers says it's up to date.
     
Banned
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Kent, Washington (Up in God's Country!)
Status: Offline
Jul 9, 2014, 03:57 PM
 
Originally Posted by jeff k View Post
Safari says 7.0.5

I think Flash is ok, other two browswers says it's up to date.
Hmm, I thought you are using OS 10.6.8, the last version of Snow Leopard. If that's the case, surprised if Safari V7.0.5 works at all for you. Yet, the latest version of Firefox (30.0) and Chrome (35.0.1916.153) both work for OS 10.6 and later.

From doing a google search about this, this link (on apple's site) contains numerous "articles" about Safari V5.x:

http://support.apple.com/kb/index?pa...Safari%205.0.5

Hopefully, that will help you.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: 888500128, C3, 2nd soft.
Status: Offline
Jul 9, 2014, 04:23 PM
 
Check in Safari's preferences whether the Flash plugin is blocked.
     
jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Join Date: May 2001
Status: Offline
Jul 9, 2014, 04:32 PM
 
thanks S, that solved it!
Allow plug ins (which I'd never noticed before, and never touched), was unchecked.
     
Banned
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Kent, Washington (Up in God's Country!)
Status: Offline
Jul 9, 2014, 04:33 PM
 
Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Check in Safari's preferences whether the Flash plugin is blocked.
Not sure that even doing that will help. How can V7.0.5 run successfully under Snow Leopard? Maybe something "spooky" is going on!
     
Banned
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Kent, Washington (Up in God's Country!)
Status: Offline
Jul 9, 2014, 04:34 PM
 
Originally Posted by jeff k View Post
thanks S, that solved it!
Allow plug ins (which I'd never noticed before, and never touched), was unchecked.
Hmm, that's a surprise! Oh well, learn something new everyday.
     
Professional Poster
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Nashua NH, USA
Status: Offline
Jul 9, 2014, 04:37 PM
 
At least they default to off when they add a control for the potentially harmful thing.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: planning a comeback !
Status: Offline
Jul 9, 2014, 07:07 PM
 
Originally Posted by akent35 View Post
Hmm, that's a surprise! Oh well, learn something new everyday.
It seems you should listen to the "stupid", there's a lot you can learn from them.

-t
     
Banned
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Kent, Washington (Up in God's Country!)
Status: Offline
Jul 10, 2014, 12:50 AM
 
Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
It seems you should listen to the "stupid", there's a lot you can learn from them.

-t
Only when it makes sense to do so.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: planning a comeback !
Status: Offline
Jul 10, 2014, 01:03 AM
 
Originally Posted by akent35 View Post
Only when it makes sense to do so.
For you, it makes a LOT of sense.

-t
     
Banned
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Kent, Washington (Up in God's Country!)
Status: Offline
Jul 10, 2014, 02:42 AM
 
Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
For you, it makes a LOT of sense.

-t
You don't make ANY sense at all. But, given who you are, why am I not surprised?
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: 888500128, C3, 2nd soft.
Status: Offline
Jul 10, 2014, 03:48 AM
 
When in a hole, stop digging.
     
Banned
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Kent, Washington (Up in God's Country!)
Status: Offline
Jul 10, 2014, 04:35 AM
 
Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
When in a hole, stop digging.
I'm not in a hole. I'm WAY above it. It's others that are in a huge hole. And, looks like some more examples of "Stupid is as stupid does". Good, as they make me smile!
( Last edited by akent35; Jul 10, 2014 at 04:46 AM. )
     
Professional Poster
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Hamburg
Status: Offline
Jul 10, 2014, 08:21 AM
 
Originally Posted by jeff k View Post
Safari says 7.0.5

I think Flash is ok, other two browswers says it's up to date.
I think you need to update your signature? You're not on 10.6.8 anymore, right?

akent35 - your signature needs an update as well!
***
     
Administrator
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: San Antonio TX USA
Status: Offline
Jul 10, 2014, 08:21 AM
 
The only reason to check for updates manually, let alone frequently, is when a mission critical system is giving you problems. If there is a security issue with an OS X app, Apple usually is the first to notice and publish it, along with (usually) a fix or workaround. I'm not saying that Zero Day events don't happen, but they are exceedingly rare, especially with OS X.

Updates by publishers are most often tweaks or minor bug fixes - to bugs most users are never aware of - with important ones like major new features or security fixes being very well publicized and not requiring users to check manually. And release-day updates are more likely to break other things than "create a new and exciting user experience!!!" because no publisher (Apple included) can possibly test any app against the nearly infinite possible variations in users' systems and installed software. Being too eager to install updates can (not always, but can) cause havoc and cost you a lot of time just figuring out what happened.

If one wants to spend time manually checking for updates, that's a personal preference. But from a security and software management perspective it's not a very efficient use of one's time.

Anyway it looks like the OP's question is answered, his problem is solved, and he's going to live happily ever after. Unless there is some other technical issue that is apropos Jeff's question, I think we're done here.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: 888500128, C3, 2nd soft.
Status: Offline
Jul 10, 2014, 10:23 AM
 
Originally Posted by akent35 View Post
I'm not in a hole. I'm WAY above it. It's others that are in a huge hole. And, looks like some more examples of "Stupid is as stupid does". Good, as they make me smile!
One of us fixed the original poster's problem.

The other checks for updates for all his software three times a day.

Your call.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: planning a comeback !
Status: Offline
Jul 10, 2014, 12:29 PM
 
This has got to be another sock puppet. Unreal.

-t
     
Banned
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Kent, Washington (Up in God's Country!)
Status: Offline
Jul 10, 2014, 12:32 PM
 
Originally Posted by badidea View Post
akent35 - your signature needs an update as well!
Why? I do post maturely, and on topic. It's when others make inappropriate posts directed at me that requires action.
     
Banned
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Kent, Washington (Up in God's Country!)
Status: Offline
Jul 10, 2014, 12:42 PM
 
Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
If there is a security issue with an OS X app, Apple usually is the first to notice and publish it, along with (usually) a fix or workaround.
For Apple apps, yes. But, for most 3rd party apps, that is not always the case.

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Updates by publishers are most often tweaks or minor bug fixes - to bugs most users are never aware of - with important ones like major new features or security fixes being very well publicized and not requiring users to check manually. And release-day updates are more likely to break other things than "create a new and exciting user experience!!!" because no publisher (Apple included) can possibly test any app against the nearly infinite possible variations in users' systems and installed software. Being too eager to install updates can (not always, but can) cause havoc and cost you a lot of time just figuring out what happened.
For those apps that state the update should be installed as soon as possible (usually security updates), that is what I do. For OS updates from Apple, I definitely wait a day or two. For other apps, sometimes I install them right away, sometimes I wait. I have never had an issue.

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
If one wants to spend time manually checking for updates, that's a personal preference. But from a security and software management perspective it's not a very efficient use of one's time.
Wow, it takes all but one click to select the bookmark for Apple Mac OS X Software & Apps - Discover & Download : MacUpdate, and then look at it! All of that might take me 30 to 45 seconds. That seems like good management of my free time.

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Anyway it looks like the OP's question is answered, his problem is solved, and he's going to live happily ever after. Unless there is some other technical issue that is apropos Jeff's question, I think we're done here.
True, and I am going to live happily ever after. Yes, we are done.
     
Banned
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Kent, Washington (Up in God's Country!)
Status: Offline
Jul 10, 2014, 12:46 PM
 
Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
This has got to be another sock puppet. Unreal.

-t
Yeah, one of these is you:

https://www.google.com/search?q=sock...w=1440&bih=722

I think it's this one:

https://www.google.com/search?q=sock...2F%3B475%3B284
     
P
Moderator
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Status: Offline
Jul 10, 2014, 01:17 PM
 
I think we're done.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.
     
   
Thread Tools
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:47 PM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2015 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2