Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Contacts wont update fully

Contacts wont update fully
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2014, 12:35 PM

I have 600 contacts on my laptop (imported with V cards the other day)

On my desktop there are 444, but the icloud seems to have stopped there at 444. Any ideas? thanks.

P
Aug 25, 2014, 03:12 PM

IME, Apple's sync programs have a tendency to try to merge contacts with similar names. If you e.g. have one named "John S" and another named "John Smith", it will merge them into one contact. There is also contacts that have been exported by mobile phones, where John Smith's mobile phone will be named "John Smith/m" and similar for other contacts, which it will merge freely.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2014, 05:10 PM

Thanks P, well there is no merging (I think) as I cleared both the laptop and the desktop before starting.

Then I dragged 600 to the laptop, and the next day the desktop had about 444 but that's it. (maybe I did not understand).

Now I could delete them all again, and just drag the 600 into both so they are a mirror pair and see how that goes. What think?

I want to see exact numbers always match on each machine. you would want that too right?

PS, I would never want merging done without my approving that. Those two Johns are probably different people... anyway to disable that?

P
Aug 25, 2014, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by jeff k View Post
PS, I would never want merging done without my approving that. Those two Johns are probably different people... anyway to disable that?
If you find one, let me know. I hate that feature.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2014, 11:43 PM

Yes, that's a very dangerous feature. You are saying even later when things are matched, I add a contact call Joe, and it merges with another Joe? Is there a field you can enter that could shield that contact to make it 100% unique and prevent that?

For now, do you agree I should delete everything, start over and then import the 600 cards to each machine so everything is at least starting out matching? I did not do that.

Administrator
Aug 26, 2014, 07:16 AM

There are other issues that turn up in Address Book. I have contacts I am still finding that were imported from cell phones 15 years ago, and they have all sorts of "extra" content that Address Book doesn't like but is happy to point out. If I don't have a duplicate of that contact already, I typically copy the content that I want, excluding the "extras", and delete the weird contact.

This gets to be a challenge when you have your contacts backed up and shared in iCloud. To get around this, you have to turn off iCloud contact sharing first, then go through ALL your contacts on ALL your devices to delete the odd/duplicate/broken contacts, and then turn sharing back on. Unless someone has a way to just fix one "master" version of one's contacts and "push" that through iCloud to all the other devices, this is the only way I've found to rid myself of oddball and duplicate contact entries.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2014, 03:33 PM

Oh sorry GH, I just posted to other thread to you about this! Did not see your post yet here. So we'll keep this subject here.

As I said there, I'm going to just add the 600 to both machines at once, and start from there. I just did that with Firefox syncing (for bookmarks etc) -- I put the same FF toolbar on both machines and started that way. It seems to be going fine so far. You agree that is the smartest way to start?

What I'm worried about then is what happens later? If I add a Joe, will the Cloud merge that Joe with another Joe? I want all my new contacts to not ever merge.

Administrator
Aug 28, 2014, 07:16 AM

I haven't seen this "merge" behavior, but my contacts are all pretty well unique namewise. I have duplicate contacts for some individuals, but no merged contacts at all. Most likely, unless names of different contacts are very close, you won't have any issues. If they are really close (Joe Jones and Joe Jonee, say), you may want to enter the newer name as "Joseph" Jonee instead of just Joe to avoid any ambiguity.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules