Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Converting a m2v file?

Converting a m2v file?
Forum Regular
May 5, 2016, 05:17 AM

I have been going through some old video files created with iMovie and iDVD many years ago. I have a lot of files in m2v format and separate audio files in aif format. I have been trying to find a way to merge the audio and video and export to mp4 (not really fussed what format I export to). Does anyone know how I can do this? A google search brings up a couple of free apps that do it but when I download them they don't recognise the video file.

May 5, 2016, 11:49 AM

Does Quicktime still recognize the video files?

P
May 5, 2016, 05:09 PM

M2v is MPEG2 video, AKA what you have on a DVD. Playing MPEG2 video happens to be a little tricky, because of licensing - QuickTime plays it only if you have a special plugin installed, IIRC.

The general answer for converting video is Handbrake, which will move it to H.264 video in an MP4 container, much more viable today.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Forum Regular
May 5, 2016, 06:29 PM

I have no problem playing it in Quicktime - I just get the video but not the audio though. I wanted to find a way to combine them. Are you saying I should convert the video using Handbrake to mp4 and then combine the audio. If yes, Is there an app you could recommend to do that? Also I've tried converting it and adding it to iMovie to do it but iMovie won't recognise it when I convert it to either.mov or .mp4. Not sure what my settings need to be if iMovie is the best option.

Forum Regular
May 5, 2016, 06:54 PM

Sorry - made an error - I can't play it in Quicktime. I can in VLC.

Administrator
May 5, 2016, 06:54 PM

Handbrake will import .m2v and convert to .mp4 or .mkv, but it doesn't accept .aif audio files, and can't seem to merge two file sources.
MKVToolNix does merge multiple tracks. It will import .m2v and export as .mkv, but .aif isn't recognized.

QuickTime can export .aif to .m4a
iTunes can convert .aif to .mp3

Both .m4a and .mp3 import fine into MKVToolNix. So it would take a 2-step process, converting the audio tracks first.

Posting Junkie
May 6, 2016, 04:01 AM

I think ffmpeg is able to handle MPEG-2, isn't it? That's probably the first thing I'd try.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Forum Links
Forum Rules