Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Itunes: Move a Song easily in Playlist?

Itunes: Move a Song easily in Playlist?
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 3, 2017, 01:02 AM

I updating a lot of playlist with remastered songs. Problem is itunes drops the new version down at bottom of 15, 000 songs and only way to get it to replace old version is dragging up for 4 minutes. Anyway to just move it to a new song# in playlist? Thanks.

Feb 3, 2017, 10:44 AM

You could try replacing the original files via the finder?

kevs  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 3, 2017, 12:47 PM

Andi, well the file is deleted in Library, and new one imported into Library, btw I don't see wod LIbrary anymore, just songs /artists..

So I did the replace ok... but playlist substituting that is tougher... with long drag...

Feb 3, 2017, 01:02 PM

No, if you had replaced in the finder you wouldn't need to update playlist at all. (as long as files were named the same)

select song in library. right click and select show in finder. You'll see a folder of songs by that artist (hopefully by album). Just override the songs there with your new better quality songs.

kevs  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 3, 2017, 01:26 PM

Will hold onto this idea Andi thanks. But for situations where maybe I do need to move a song on a playlist, is dragging it only option?

kevs  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 16, 2017, 11:51 PM

Andi, almost worked, I went to one of my 800 playlists, which is the real organizational tool use. Each playlist has hours of music. I right clicked the song to upgrade, and it was there in the finder.

I then right clicked on the song, the upgraded version, I just imported by CD, and it was called #10 in "unknown album".

I then selected song name in playlist, "More than This", and copied that text to track #10 in unknkown album -- and draged the upgrade to the playlist and clicked replace.

It replaced fine the playlist, but song, for some reason in the playlist is named still #10.

Feb 19, 2017, 05:36 PM

Well, for this to work I think the songs have to be named the same.

kevs  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 19, 2017, 08:24 PM

But they are not named the same. The upgrade just comes in from a copy I made, and it comes in as a generic track 10.

But it could just manually type in the new info.

Feb 19, 2017, 08:25 PM

Or copy and paste.

kevs  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 19, 2017, 08:26 PM

Yes, will do. Thanks Andi!

kevs  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 15, 2017, 11:29 PM

Has anyone actually been in the trenches doing this a lot.

It's really making my head spin. I import, replace, but then the song name does not carry over. I do type in manually the song. But then the original track numbers are still at bottom of songs, so I have to manually delete those out. But then itunes wlll say the songs are now in the trash.. It really make ones head spin. I'm wondering if Andi or anyone else can help with procedure of this.

itunes is very glitchy and bizarre, it thinks songs are where they are not. It remembers song being somewhere and reference that. It hard to get rid of a song once it's been in library..

PS, is there a way to import songs from a CD straight to desktop so they never go in the library?

This may not be possible. Once you have a CD in library, and in songlist, and then upgrade that CD or a few songs get an upgrade.... maybe one cannot replace those ones.

In short:

Update: I have been trying to do replace old/ new in finder, but very hairy for some reason. Anyone gone to battle doing this? Repleacing old songs with updates/ remasters?
( Last edited by kevs; Mar 16, 2017 at 12:20 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules