Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > network error -3155

network error -3155
Nov 28, 2001, 12:50 PM

It keeps disconecting while I'm on the internet. How could I go about fixing this error???

Thanks for any help.

Forum Regular
Nov 28, 2001, 06:46 PM

how about a little more info?
•modem
•dsl/cable
• OS ?

dandare  (op)
Nov 29, 2001, 08:35 AM

The operating system is 9.1, on a G4 Powerbook. The modem is an internal 56k. It disconects quite a lot. I've tried deleting the prefs (explorer folder and internet cache) but that hasn't seemed to have helped.

Any ideas???

Mac Elite
Nov 29, 2001, 09:19 AM

Check the clarity of your phone line.
What kind of speeds do you usually connect at? do you get consistent download speeds? if not, it probably IS your phone line.

<Dom Tyler>
Dec 1, 2001, 07:42 PM

I'm getting a -3155 error when I try to send e-mail with an attachment from OE5.0.3. The message data gets about 75% uploaded to the smtp and then the whole kaboodle bugs out and the connection is dropped. I use a B+W G3 OS9.1 and a Swann macsurfer USB 56kbs modem. I could believe the phone line hypothesis but the glitch seems pretty constant while download times vary.

My ISP tech support have had a couple of similar reports but have no idea how to remedy the situation, does anybody?????

Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2001, 03:16 AM

Originally posted by &lt;Dom Tyler&gt;:
<STRONG> I could believe the phone line hypothesis but the glitch seems pretty constant while download times vary.

My ISP tech support have had a couple of similar reports but have no idea how to remedy the situation, does anybody?????</STRONG>
try a different phone line maybe.
is that problem just with OE?
you might also want to try using 'connect strings' i dont have info on strings right now, but searching these forums might help.

Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2001, 11:40 AM

I wouldn't bet on it being your phone line. I posted this same problem here a long while back and we weren't able to come up with anything that actually worked.

I used to get "Sorry a network error has occurred -3155" in IE5 all the time, and the messages would always travel in pairs, if not in threes, so I'd have to click next until the message went away.

I complained to my ISP and they did their usual 'have you tried this, tried that...." so I screamed at them some more. This went on for nearly two months, on all sorts of pages and sites.

Then one day it mysteriously stopped. All on its own. I didn't do anything to the machine or my setup. My ISP however said they had been carrying out some 'upgrading work' on their network. Unfortunately they weren't able to give me any more info than that, which is fairly typical of them.

Maybe try putting a bit more pressure on your ISP?
MI5 doesn't do evil. Just treachery, treason and armageddon.

<Dom Tyler>
Dec 5, 2001, 12:05 PM

Thanks for the advice guys.

I'm still trying stuff but after reinstalling each part of the software puzzle including open transport and mac tcp/dnr, testing on another modem, testing on other ISPs and having my phone company test my phone line I am still no nearer being able to send any attachment over 2kb. Luckily (if that's the right word) the problem is specific to OE for me. I did find an article on the apple Knowlege base (number 19791) which identified network error -3155 as an open transport error, something to do with wrongly sequenced data. Not a great help.

For now I'm admiting defeat and looking for an alternative. This glitch seems perfectly suited to the "support-line shuffle" as everyone from apple to microsoft to ISP to phone company confidently passes the buck knowing how difficult it is to identify the root cause!!!

Best wishes
Dom

Forum Links
Forum Rules