Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Alias Maya Unlimited 7.0 Student Bundle

Alias Maya Unlimited 7.0 Student Bundle
Senior User
Oct 21, 2005, 11:37 PM

ok first off, I know nothing on the use of this program. but heck at this price I'm willing to learn.
What is the major difference between this one
http://www.journeyed.com/itemDetail....=28136476Y6999
and the full price version. (besides the obvious price difference)

Senior User
Oct 22, 2005, 12:15 AM

Well there is also the PLE version which is free for everyone to use, but output is restricted or something. I tried v6 in the summer and did some of the tutorials and it wasn't a hard thing to get into.

In September I ended up taking a modeling/animation class at school and while it was taught on 3DS the concepts I learned just from the Maya6 PLE tutorials helped me immensely.
Yose.
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

Senior User
Oct 24, 2005, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Yose
Well there is also the PLE version which is free for everyone to use, but output is restricted or something. I tried v6 in the summer and did some of the tutorials and it wasn't a hard thing to get into.

In September I ended up taking a modeling/animation class at school and while it was taught on 3DS the concepts I learned just from the Maya6 PLE tutorials helped me immensely.

thanks for the info

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2005, 04:56 PM

Does anyone know how much RAM/processing speed a computer needs for regular rendering in Maya?

Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2005, 08:51 PM

Be careful with Maya.

I'm sure if you were to search the forums you would read of this--Autodesk as bought Maya. Audotesk is not exactly reputably friendly towards the Mac community. It has not been confirmed or denied whether or not they will kill the Mac version, but it is a possiblility. I would wait until I hear a definite "yes" or "no" from Autodesk on the matter before making an investment of any kind.

Just as a matter of interest, how much experience have you had in 3D in general? Because I would not reccomend starting out on Maya...

I have used the PLE, and I must say it is not the easist thing to learn. Expect to expand your vocabulary quite a bit. (I'm still not sure what an Isoparm is, but that could be stupidity or lack of effort on my part). The only way it is limited that I know of is a tiled watermark over all renders. This is fine for learning purposes, but it can be distracting if you operate any of your viewports in OpenGL shaded mode, as the watermark even appears in these. (Typically, I like to have the Perspective viewport shaded).

The only thing that I did not like about Maya was how massive it is, and I found the modeling tools to be a little under expectation as far as useability. Also, (and this is a minor point) I wish the controls and window background could be darker, similar to other high end apps.

On a side note, I don't mean to spam or derail or whatever, but I have been using Lightwave for a while now and am quite impressed. It has its disadvantages, (mostly with regards to the UI) but overall I have been very satisfied, particularly with the graph editor and Modeler. The only other thing I really don't like about it is its dynamic solver, especially with particles and trying to mimick CFD. But most people use a separate program or plugin for CFD anyway...

The other alternative I was considering was Cinema 4D... I've heard that it has a very nice UI, but produces more shiny-looking, less realistic renders. (That said, I have seen examples made with C4D that are pretty much photoreal. Its still mostly how you set up and light the scene I guess.)

anyway, good luck!

PS--Don't take my word for any of this; I am biased towards LW mainly because I like very much SubDs (which LW excels at), can't stand polygons, and had a less-than-fortunate experience with NURBS in Maya... (hence my dissatisfaction with its modeling tools) your experiences and prefrences may not be the same as mine.

"In a world without walls or fences, what need have we for windows or gates?"

Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2005, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by SecretX
Does anyone know how much RAM/processing speed a computer needs for regular rendering in Maya?
Oops, kind of missed your post there...

To answer your question, ...well, thats difficult. What constitutes "regular?" Do you mean Raytraced and Raytraced only? I would say that just about any modern system configuration could handle simple Raytrace-only renders at DV resolution fairly easily. If its HD or if its for print, expecet your render times to easily double. But I can't imagine anyone spending money on a 3D app and not taking it all the way with radiosity, caustics, etc etc. Obviously, Monte-Carlo radiosity will be more expensive than interpolated radiosity, but higher quality. How many indirect bounces? Also, use of custom shaders may add to render-times. And then theres antialiasing. How much AA do you consider "regular?" There are also tricks you can do to help reduce render times (one such tick is the aforemetioned interpolated radiosity.)

And then there are the things that you don't mess with in your render setup that affect render times. Whats your polycount? What's your framerate? How many lights do you have in the scene? Do you have volumetrics? If you have any complex dynamics that need to be solved, they don't add to render time per-se, but you must spend time calculating them. Sometimes this can compare to render time. (but that's typically only with very complex solutions, such as CFD which I mentioned above. I'm pretty sure Maya has some form of CFD)

Really, unless you explain exactly what it is you want to do, I don't think I, or anyone else can be much help, aside from providing this link:

http://www.alias.com/eng/products-se...irements.shtml

remember, those are the bare minimums, so that may even be without Raytraced shadows, transparency, refraction, etc.

"In a world without walls or fences, what need have we for windows or gates?"

Forum Links
Forum Rules