Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Ergonomic mouse for graphic design?

Ergonomic mouse for graphic design?
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 4, 2005, 11:03 PM

I've got horrible carpal tunnel from 15 years of heavy mousing. Can someone recommend an ergonomic mouse that also offers a great deal of precision and control?

Posting Junkie
Nov 5, 2005, 03:20 AM

Logitech's Optical Trackman. Wireless and unless you have small hands, it's great. It's very ergonomic and offers precise control that other trackballls don't (You use your fingers to control it not the thumb). I have one for home and work (Photoshop, among others, is a breeze). Very configurable and it takes about 30 minutes to really feel comfortable. My wife even likes it and she had never used anything but a standard mouse before.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 5, 2005, 03:21 AM

Have you thought of a graphics tablet, with a pen?

Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2005, 05:47 AM

I will probably always reccomend the MX series from Logitech. I really like the button placement and the shape of the mouse. (The one I have, MX500, is shaped very similarly to the above pictured Trackman) Very comfortable. The MXLASER is nice, but its a wee tad heavier. It is more precise though, and wireless.

I've read of something called RazerPRO, designed by the people who made the Razer Diamondback, which was really popular with gamers. The RazerPRO is targeted towards a more professional market. They claim to have very good ergonomics, but I cannot claim to have any first hand experience with the mouse.

The tackball is probably a better idea though. I really don't know anything about carpal tunnel, but it seems to me that minimizing wrist movent might help.

"In a world without walls or fences, what need have we for windows or gates?"

Posting Junkie
Nov 5, 2005, 09:58 AM

A graphics tablet can be good but not if you're trying to minimize movement.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2005, 11:05 AM

As much as I hate to recommend anything that has a Microsoft label on it, I've been using theTrackBall Explorer for several years, and it has helped a lot with previous carpal tunnel problems. I bought it because I got tired of waiting for Kensington to release an optical trackball, so you may want to check them out, too.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

Forum Links
Forum Rules