Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Recomend DVD burning software

Recomend DVD burning software
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 27, 2006, 11:45 AM

I'm running into the 120 min limit in iDVD so I need some software to burn DVD's. What would you recomend? Popcorn? Toast? Something free? Thanks....

Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2006, 02:22 PM

ffmpegX probably allows the most flexibility. For the absolute longest video DVD disc, you can burn VCD-spec MPEG-1 streams (half-frame) in a VIDEO_TS folder and get about 10 hours on a disc. Another option for authoring if you already have the files encoded is Sizzle (then burn with Disk Utility).

Forum Regular
Jun 27, 2006, 10:17 PM

Toast is just so reliable and flexible, it's hard to imagine living without it. Once I got flashy animated menus and such out of my system (or ego) Toast was like a breath of fresh air. For example, you can author disks with attractive, simple menus (SL or DL) out of multiple VOBs with virtually no encoding time. It will also author disks of mixed video and still sets with very functional menus and much, much quicker encoding than iDVD.
Dual 1.8 G5 tower w/ Pioneer 112, 4 gb RAM, 500 & 200gb HDs
MacBook Pro 2.16 gHz Core 2 Duo, 4 gb RAM, VM Ware Fusion & Boot Camp installed with Win XP Pro (Previously used Parallels)

Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2006, 04:38 AM

....DVD Studio Pro?

d'oh! "something free."

*sigh*

Well don't know of anything free but Toast sounds like a good idea

"In a world without walls or fences, what need have we for windows or gates?"

Clinically Insane
Jun 28, 2006, 05:45 AM

Toast is a good thing. I finally gave in and got it from Amazon, and I'm happy. One really nice thing about Toast is the standard installation apparently gives Quicktime an AVI plugin so that the Finder (as well as Quicktime Player) is able to handle AVIs properly.
( Last edited by Big Mac; Jun 28, 2006 at 05:57 AM. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

EnVoy  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 28, 2006, 11:59 PM

Well, tried out ffmpegx. Doesnt seem to result in a usable file, probably user error, still figuring it out. I'm trying to go from a .mp4 to a dvd but the resulting _TS wont play either in DVD plater or VLC.

Does anyone know if ffmpegx leaves large cache files in the system? Before encoding an mp4, my system hard drive had 88GB, after it had 110mb left! I use a second 250GB drive for all the video files/encoding, so the space is not taken up by the resulting encoded file(s).

Addicted to MacNN
Jun 29, 2006, 03:32 AM

It should never take 88 GB to encode a DVD, so something's wrong. Most wrong things are logged to the Console (/Applications/Utilities/Console.app). Also, VLC should be able to play the VOB files as soon as they are created (incomplete). Does your VIDEO_TS folder have vob files, and are they playable? What size are they? Lastly, try doing a spotlight search for files that are over 1 MB and were created in the last day.

You might want to try encoding your file to an MPEG program stream, then authoring the disc with that using Sizzle or another DVD authoring app.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 29, 2006, 06:51 AM

Toast!

EnVoy  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 29, 2006, 11:35 AM

Fixed the space prob, the drive somhow got an invalid block count.

Anyway, I'll give Sizzle a shot. Thanks..

EnVoy  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 30, 2006, 03:22 AM

encoding your file to an MPEG program stream
Exactly what settings in ffmpegx would I use? Cant seem to get it to work...

Mac Enthusiast
Jun 30, 2006, 04:45 AM

VisualHub
http://www.techspansion.com/visualhub/

claims up to 18h on a dvd-r (ok, what quality..???)

Addicted to MacNN
Jun 30, 2006, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by EnVoy
Exactly what settings in ffmpegx would I use? Cant seem to get it to work...
MPEG2. There's a preset for DVDs. If that's giving problems, uncheck the "author DVD" box in the last pane. Honestly, if this doens't work for you, get Toast. It's great. It will be well worth the cost in your time on this project alone. The whole reason for software like iDVD and Toast is that it means you don't have to learn all the specs in order to make things just-work™.

Forum Links
Forum Rules