Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Zooming in a quicktime movie.Here's what I'm trying to do...

Zooming in a quicktime movie.Here's what I'm trying to do...
Sep 9, 2001, 04:51 PM

Here's what I'm trying to do...

I want to take an existing Quicktime movie and zoom into one corner of it so that the portion I zoomed into fills the screen and save it for others to view it as a quicktime movie with the zoom-in as well.

I'm basically trying to make a "close-up" after the video has been taped.

Thanks for the help.

- Chad Hinkson
Chad Hinkson

Sometimes the magic works, sometimes it doesn't...

iMac 2.0 GHZ Intel / 1.5 Gb
MacBook 2.0 Intel / 1.0 mb
OS 10.4

Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2001, 05:22 PM

Well, it ain't cheap, but After Effects could do that.
OS X: Where software installation doesn't require wizards with shields.

Mac Enthusiast
Sep 9, 2001, 06:25 PM

Use a layer mask on the video track that covers the area you want to "zoom", then resize to your heart's content.

Mac Enthusiast
Sep 10, 2001, 02:19 AM

By request, here are some more detailed instructions. Adobe Photoshop is used here to create the mask, but any graphics applications like GraphicConverter, ColorIt!, or even ClarisWorks/AppleWorks can do the same thing.

1. Copy a frame of the current video for reference
Open up the movie in the QuickTime Player, scrub to any frame of the video, then select Edit:Copy.

2. Create a new image in Adobe Photoshop
Launch Adobe Photoshop, and select File:New. The dimensions will already be filled in with the frame size of your video. Once the new document is created, paste in the video frame.

3. Create a 1-bit mask
In Photoshop, create a new layer. Then, using any tool you like, fill in the area that you want to keep with black. I suggest using the rectangular marquee with an aspect ratio matching your video (probably 4 to 3).

4. Export the mask
Turn off the layer containing your video image. You should now have a black and white (transparent) image of just the mask. Select File:Save As Copy... and the mask as a flattened PICT file.

5. Apply the mask
Return back to the QuickTime Player with your movie. Select Movie:Get Movie Properties, then select your video track in the left pop-up, and Mask in the right popup. Hit the Set button, and select the mask file you saved.

6. Resize the resulting movie
I'm sure you can figure this one out.

Forum Links
Forum Rules