Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > project computer screen onto my wall?

project computer screen onto my wall?
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 30, 2001, 09:15 PM

I think I want a projection screen that will project on my white wall. How much do you think it costs to get a projection screen that has about 1024 x 768 resolution and makes a bright picture on the wall that is about 8 feet wide?

then I'd like to put some 400 watt 5.1 speakers in there, and watch movies and play games. I'd be set for life.

thanks

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 1, 2001, 01:59 AM

Originally posted by coteesh:
<STRONG>I think I want a projection screen that will project on my white wall. How much do you think it costs to get a projection screen that has about 1024 x 768 resolution and makes a bright picture on the wall that is about 8 feet wide?

then I'd like to put some 400 watt 5.1 speakers in there, and watch movies and play games. I'd be set for life.
</STRONG>
Man, wouldn't that be ! I've been wanting to do that forever, but unfortunatly every time I get the urge I take a look at projector prices and it goes away quick. They were always in the +$1k range.

I haven't check recently however. If the prices are related to the prices of other kinds of LCD displays, then they may have gone down a bit in the past year.

Ebay's another possibility. Haven't checked. Of course this would really shine for watching movies, and since my iMac has no DVD/DiVX playing capabilities, I'd hold off till I get a decent computer first.
We hope your rules and wisdom choke you / Now we are one in everlasting peace
-- Radiohead, Exit Music (for a film)

Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2001, 12:32 AM

How to watch a movie:

On a warm summer evening, attach a white bedsheet to the side of the garage. Borrow 1300 lumen projector from the office, add powerbook, monsoon speakers, favorite DVDs.

Break out the lawn chairs and beer cooler, invite friends over to your personal drive in. Beats watching movies indoors anyday.

If only the powerbook had 5.1 output.....

Oh yeah- plan on spending at least $1500 for a projector you'll like. And know they're hot and noisy.

It's better to have a job where you're the sysadmin, and you can do that kind of thing.
OS X: Where software installation doesn't require wizards with shields.

Mac Enthusiast
Dec 6, 2001, 08:38 AM

Also know that the bulb lasts from 500 - 1000 hours and can cost hundreds of dollars to replace

Borrowing one from the office is definitely the best idea.

Perhaps this would improve the audio.

Posting Junkie
Dec 6, 2001, 11:02 AM

NOT TRUE: You can buy a:
&lt; $200 overhead projector USED
&lt; $200 LCD overhead projecter LCD brick (before the days of LCD prjectors) USED

But remember, these things weren't high res. so you get what you pay for. And the color wasn't great, and can have horable motion...

I would buy a BIG TV and just pump it through there... Sony 36" TV's are app $700

Forum Links
Forum Rules