Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Neons, Ca$h!

Neons, Ca$h!
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2002, 11:34 PM

SO, a got a ride in a neon yesterday, hurm, let me just say one thing, I have a whole new respect for the neon, it is an econobox, but it is quite zippy. it IS powerful, but not the best looking car. give the headlites a tweak and change the rear bumper and that car would have the chance for a spot on my driveway...

so let it be known that I retract what I said about noens sucking, because they dont suck, too hard.... but still.. there NOT the coolest thing out there...

P.D.

Forum Regular
Aug 2, 2002, 11:44 PM

Ca$h, i also retract what i said about neons. I got to ride with PD in this neon. it had a 16 valve DOHC engin. it was only a 4 door. honestly when i got in it, i was exspecting performance like my camry (16 valve in-line 4). but seeing as how i can only get a sqweek out of my tires off the line, and this kid did what my car does when he shifed from 1st to 2nd. all and all, i think yes it doesn't look as cool as some, but when you want something fun as hell to drive, and somthing cheep, you are correct, Neon is very very good "Bang for Buck"! and i think i may actully have a future with Neons. It sucks that PD dosn't share our views.
PZ
"'don't touch me 'what will you do?' 'i will touch you back'"-bruce lee

Baninated
Aug 3, 2002, 07:43 AM

You know you all want one

Addicted to MacNN
Aug 3, 2002, 09:27 AM

Some people need to get out more!
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Banned
Aug 3, 2002, 06:26 PM

:|

Haven't I been saying that for oh, 3 years straight or so? Just don't get an automatic. Blech.

- Ca$h

Addicted to MacNN
Aug 3, 2002, 06:49 PM

Originally posted by Ca$h68
Haven't I been saying that for oh, 3 years straight or so? Just don't get an automatic. Blech.
High percent of people who own manual are having neck problems

Addicted to MacNN
Aug 3, 2002, 06:54 PM

Originally posted by Adam Betts

I know: I rode in one once, and it damn near snapped my neck with all that power, while the driver was shifting! I had to call my lawyer to sue for damages. My lawyer works for Dewey, Cheatham, and Howe!
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Forum Regular
Aug 4, 2002, 03:25 PM

Originally posted by Ca$h68:
:|

- Ca$h
I wouldn't ever buy a automatic in any car. If i bought a fullsize truck, than it would be an auto, but other wise it maunal all the way!
PZ

Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2002, 03:34 PM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:

thats why you raise the headrest so if you do get thrown back in your seat you have a pad, and if they are raised whiplash is almost not a problem if you get in an accident.... or at least they reduce the severity....

yeah, but my next car will hopefully be a Subaru WRX STi! ummm yummy... (I just have to wait for them to come to the states...

and as Phazer said, I will also Not EVER buy an automatic unless it is a van/large truck/bus/et cetera....

P.D.

Aug 4, 2002, 03:37 PM

I will never retract what I said about Neon's

And about Manual/Auto: manual all the way, but for long rides a automatic transmission is quite comfortable (or in the city), the best you can get is a auto-trans with manual shifting mode.

Forum Regular
Aug 4, 2002, 03:40 PM

hey Ca$h, just wondering, what kind of mods do you have on you Neon, what year is it, and engin size? I think i head somthing about a pipe of some sort, and i know its got some other **** on it. Just wondering
PZ

Senior User
Aug 4, 2002, 09:15 PM

Originally posted by phazertwo:
Ca$h, i also retract what i said about neons. I got to ride with PD in this neon. it had a 16 valve DOHC engin. it was only a 4 door. honestly when i got in it, i was exspecting performance like my camry (16 valve in-line 4). but seeing as how i can only get a sqweek out of my tires off the line, and this kid did what my car does when he shifed from 1st to 2nd. all and all, i think yes it doesn't look as cool as some, but when you want something fun as hell to drive, and somthing cheep, you are correct, Neon is very very good "Bang for Buck"! and i think i may actully have a future with Neons. It sucks that PD dosn't share our views.
PZ
With a manaul transmission, i could squeel the tires on my Geo Metro from first to second. Also, the tires on my automatic Accord squeek on the shift from first to second. Not a big feat. Many cars may seem quick because a manual transmission provides that "racer" feeling and because they ride rough. It gives you the feeling that you are going faster than you are.
It I want your opinion, I'll beat it out of you.

Senior User
Aug 4, 2002, 09:16 PM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:

Then they freakin' need to learn to drive. I actually agree with Cash on this one, save auto for family cars, trucks, and vans.
It I want your opinion, I'll beat it out of you.

Posting Junkie
Aug 4, 2002, 09:54 PM

There is no doubt about the Neons above average powerplant.

I have driven a Plymouth Laser RS, its got the same 2.0 DOHC inline 4 as does the Neon that ca$h has, I was able to chirp the tires in 2nd gear going about 20-25. Torquey too, but I will always hate Neons since they are poorly built. Maybe if the rest of the car was as good as the engine I'd get one

Forum Regular
Aug 5, 2002, 01:10 AM

Originally posted by PowerMatt:

With a manaul transmission, i could squeel the tires on my Geo Metro from first to second. Also, the tires on my automatic Accord squeek on the shift from first to second. Not a big feat. Many cars may seem quick because a manual transmission provides that "racer" feeling and because they ride rough. It gives you the feeling that you are going faster than you are.
well, i can't get my camry to sqweek, and if your accord does it than you need to think about new tires. And i bet you metro has a new clutch in it, or its not very old/used. because clutchs that were taking care of, or are new will do that because the grip so well.
PZ

p.s. d i head that they got takin' out of some big race because no one could beat them, i don't remember withc race he said, and he could easly be blowing smoke up my ass, so i don't know, but that thing hauled ass, and with a small amouts of mods, it would be a fricking awsome ride.

Moderator Emeritus
Aug 5, 2002, 02:07 AM

well, i can't get my camry to sqweek, and if your accord does it than you need to think about new tires.
Do you think Camry's are supposed to be able to "sqweek" ?? Heh, that's funny.

You remind me my wife… why you laugh? She dead. | sasper at gmail dot com

Banned
Aug 5, 2002, 02:21 PM

I have a SOHC 2.0. The only mods I have are stiffer motor mounts (cleaner shifts), DOHC muffler (reduced back pressure), and thats it. I still even have the restrictive intake on it. I didn't really mod it for a few reasons:

1. Its fast enough
2. Spending 1000 to go 1 second faster is lame
3. 2.4 swaps are a cooler way of spending money

Anyway, it isn't the same engine as the Talon, Laser, Eclipse, it DOES share the same bore and stroke, but the head design is reversed and a few other differences.

Anyway, congrats on finally seeing the light. Neons= fast and cheap. If you don't care about NVH they rule.

- Ca$h

dav
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2002, 02:33 PM

Originally posted by PowerMatt:

some claim the maxima will chirp tires in 3rd, but i haven't been able to do it - must be a 2002+ model.

manual transmissions ride rough?? huh?

Banned
Aug 5, 2002, 02:36 PM

Forgot to mention:

I do have some suspension mods: KYB GR2 high perf struts, nice aggressive pads, and aluminum strut brace on front and rear.

Any car can squeak the tires, but squeaking the tires from the 1-2 shift is harder. On the accord, I'm guessing its a combination of underinflated tires, and the pathetically cushy ride causing weight transfer to the back, so the front tires are clawing for traction.

- Ca$h

Forum Regular
Aug 5, 2002, 03:39 PM

Originally posted by speramint0:

Do you think Camry's are supposed to be able to "sqweek" ?? Heh, that's funny.
no i don;t think Camrys are supost to "squeak", i am saying i don't belive that he can get his geo metro to "squeak", if i can't get my Camry to "squeak"
PZ

Banned
Aug 5, 2002, 04:03 PM

Look, with a MTX, any car can squeal the tires. I drove a stickshift ford fiesta and it squeal the tires.

>:|

- Ca$h

Banned
Aug 5, 2002, 04:23 PM

i can't squel my tires anymore.. not because of a lack of power, but my current tires are just that sticky... potenza s0-3's baby

Banned
Aug 5, 2002, 04:25 PM

I want some Falken Axenis next.

- Ca$h

Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2002, 04:47 PM

I have a Neon ES, and a Durango SLT. Love them both.

The Durango only gets to play on the weekends (and when the wife and boys need to go somewhere) since the MPG doesn't work well with my 35 mile commute.

But, this will be my next Neon.

Gonna order it as soon as they start taking orders.

Then, my friends, we will all know how much fun Neons really are!

Banned
Aug 5, 2002, 05:11 PM

I've sat in one of those, they rolled out an SRT4 prototype for the neon convention. It smoked a Firebird WS6.

- Ca$h

PS: NYG ACRs are cooler.

Forum Regular
Aug 5, 2002, 11:29 PM

Well, i have "Jumped on bored" I now want a Neon, the new STR-4 WOW! that is a frickin car! 215HP stock! that thing would tear **** up! I don't know the exact MSRP on the STR-4 (if anyone does let me know) but they said under 20k that is do'able. And, i found a nice neon, with a 2L!! and a nice system! i never thought i would feel the way i do about a neon!! there is a good chance that it will be my next car!
PZ

Baninated
Aug 6, 2002, 12:39 AM

I've sat in one of those, they rolled out an SRT4 prototype for the neon convention. It smoked a Firebird WS6.

- Ca$h

PS: NYG ACRs are cooler.
Nicer than the SRT? Are you joking? Heh

I want one too, but I can't afford it now.

Banned
Aug 7, 2002, 09:27 AM

They ALL have 2 liters. Unless you live in brazil.

- Ca$h

Aug 7, 2002, 02:26 PM

I have a SOHC 2.0. The only mods I have are stiffer motor mounts (cleaner shifts), DOHC muffler (reduced back pressure), and thats it. I still even have the restrictive intake on it. I didn't really mod it for a few reasons:

1. Its fast enough
2. Spending 1000 to go 1 second faster is lame
3. 2.4 swaps are a cooler way of spending money

Anyway, it isn't the same engine as the Talon, Laser, Eclipse, it DOES share the same bore and stroke, but the head design is reversed and a few other differences.

Anyway, congrats on finally seeing the light. Neons= fast and cheap. If you don't care about NVH they rule.

- Ca$h
Hey, what's a DOHC muffler. (Is 'DOHC' a brand name, because the term DOHC doesn't really apply to mufflers).

Regarding your points.
1. Nothing is ever fast enough. (It's like having enough money).
2. If I could go 1 second faster for 1000, I would do it in a second (probably 2 or 3 times).
3. Do you mean swapping out to a 2.4L engine. NOT a cool way to spend money. You're usually better off trading up to whatever car has that engine in the first place - unless the engine is unavailable in your car, and it will have huge benefits you cant get anywhere else (unlikely). (It CAN be the way to go in certain situations, but by and large engine swaps are not. The newer the car, the worse of an idea it becomes.)

Jeremy

Banned
Aug 7, 2002, 02:34 PM

Originally posted by Swancoat:
Hey, what's a DOHC muffler. (Is 'DOHC' a brand name, because the term DOHC doesn't really apply to mufflers).
DOHC= Dual Over Head Cams. Neons came with 2 engine flavors: SOHC and DOHC. The SOHC has more torque down low but only 132 hp with 130ft/lbs of torque. The DOHC engine has 150 hp with 150 ft/lbs of torque (I think). Anyway, all the DOHC equipped neons had a different muffler, it has TWO tips instead of just one. The SOHC muffler is VERY restrictive, and swapping over to a DOHC muffler will give you about 5hp and improve your gas mileage.

Originally posted by Swancoat:
Regarding your points.
1. Nothing is ever fast enough. (It's like having enough money).
2. If I could go 1 second faster for 1000, I would do it in a second (probably 2 or 3 times).
3. Do you mean swapping out to a 2.4L engine. NOT a cool way to spend money. You're usually better off trading up to whatever car has that engine in the first place - unless the engine is unavailable in your car, and it will have huge benefits you cant get anywhere else (unlikely). (It CAN be the way to go in certain situations, but by and large engine swaps are not. The newer the car, the worse of an idea it becomes.)
Yes, actually it IS a cool way to spend money. The 2.4 liter engine found in Strati, minivans, and cloud cars has the same dimensions as the neons 2.0. In fact, externally, the blocks are almost identical. The engines even have the EXACT SAME HEAD. So basically, the only difference is it has a shorter stroke, and bigger pistons. The 2.4 doesn't rev as high, but instead makes a lot more torque, 170 ft lbs. This doesnt seem like much, but considering it responds EXTREMELY well to modifications, it can make a LOT of power. And the engines are the same price. So if your engine is tired, or you want more performance, the question is why NOT switch to 2.4?! The block is the same size, the head is the same, the PCM is the same, the transmission is the same. It makes a lot of sense.

- Ca$h

Aug 7, 2002, 04:27 PM

DOHC= Dual Over Head Cams. Neons came with 2 engine flavors: SOHC and DOHC. The SOHC has more torque down low but only 132 hp with 130ft/lbs of torque. The DOHC engine has 150 hp with 150 ft/lbs of torque (I think). Anyway, all the DOHC equipped neons had a different muffler, it has TWO tips instead of just one. The SOHC muffler is VERY restrictive, and swapping over to a DOHC muffler will give you about 5hp and improve your gas mileage.

Yes, actually it IS a cool way to spend money. The 2.4 liter engine found in Strati, minivans, and cloud cars has the same dimensions as the neons 2.0. In fact, externally, the blocks are almost identical. The engines even have the EXACT SAME HEAD. So basically, the only difference is it has a shorter stroke, and bigger pistons. The 2.4 doesn't rev as high, but instead makes a lot more torque, 170 ft lbs. This doesnt seem like much, but considering it responds EXTREMELY well to modifications, it can make a LOT of power. And the engines are the same price. So if your engine is tired, or you want more performance, the question is why NOT switch to 2.4?! The block is the same size, the head is the same, the PCM is the same, the transmission is the same. It makes a lot of sense.

- Ca$h
I guess my main point is that in doing an engine swap, you do have to go out and BUY another engine. (If your current one is dead, and you need to replace it anyway - well that's a different story) So then you'll have paid for two engines. One when you bought the car - another when you replace the engine. Secondly (I am not a Neon expert - so this may not be completely true), but generally when you swap out an engine (especially to one that is not available in that car normally) a lot has to be done to make it work. Intake/exhaust, etc sound like they won't be a problem for you, since the engine is dimensionally the same. But there are a plethora of 'computer' based hurdles to overcome, getting the ECU to run the new engine correctly without any emisions issues (OBD II sucks!!) (Again, this varies car to car - on my particular car an engine swap cost $$$ like you wouldn't believe - I looked into it a bit).

I may have been a little to hasty in saying that an engine swap is NOT a good way to spend money. I still believe that if power is what your after, it's probably cheaper to spend your money on a turbo, I/C, cams, etc., although these kinds of mods will give you no where near the kind of reliability that a factory engine would have.

I guess this kind of discussion can go on forever (personal preferences, etc...) If you are seriously planning an engine swap - good luck, I'd be interested in hearing how it works out and what the final costs and stuff were.

Jeremy

ps. Calling Stratuses 'Strati' is hilarious.

Banned
Aug 7, 2002, 04:51 PM

Nope. Like I said its pretty sweet. The 2.4 and 2.0 use the same head. Since they use the same head, the neon intake and exhaust also bolt right up and fit perfect. The ECUs are the same, you use the pre-existing PCM to control it. The 2.4 is basically a 2.0 that's been punched out, with a lil different internal parts, but it uses the same firing order, the same head, the same electronics, etc etc etc etc etc. I'll do the complete swap for about 2000 bucks. Including a new engine, performance clutch, al flywheel, bolt ons, and maybe a mild port/polish job.

- Ca$h

Baninated
Aug 8, 2002, 07:10 AM

The DOHC is also faster. Esp the DOHC/5spd pairing. Fastest stock Neon before the SRT.

Banned
Aug 8, 2002, 09:34 AM

Not necessarily. The SOHC has a lower powerband, it's a much more torquey engine. So if a SOHC and a DOHC were on a freeway, the DOHC would have a lot more pull. But if they were at a stoplight, the SOHC would be in the lead for a while. And the fastest pairing is the DOHC engine with 3.94 5spd (R/T or ACR, reg highlines have different gear ratios). Also, the 1995 neons were a bit faster, they had slightly different cams which gave them about 5 more hp.

- Ca$h

Baninated
Aug 9, 2002, 03:18 AM

The sohc's have a bit more torque and are less peaky than the dohc's, but for top end and horsepower the dohc rules.

Banned
Aug 9, 2002, 09:25 AM

Thats what I just said.

Aug 9, 2002, 07:02 PM

Ca$h how the hell are you going to deal with an engine management system that isn't designed for a 2.4 but for a 2.0 ?

Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 10, 2002, 12:26 PM

Hey Ca$h what do you think of the SRT-4? Personally, I love the front end look but I hate the fact that it has 4 doors. They should have kept the Neon Coupe. Maybe they should have "factory riced" the Stratus Coupe instead. But the Stratus is kind of big so maybe it would have cost more to really get that thing movin'. But I might end up getting an SRT-4 anyway.
-THIS SPACE FOR RENT-

Banned
Aug 12, 2002, 10:07 AM

Vanquish: Are you mentally handicapped? I SAID you use the 2.0 ECU on the 2.4. Know why? Its the SAME ENGINE, just bigger pistons and bigger stroke.

F*cking idiot. Go drink tea.

- Ca$h

Banned
Aug 12, 2002, 10:15 AM

Originally posted by usedmac:
Hey Ca$h what do you think of the SRT-4? Personally, I love the front end look but I hate the fact that it has 4 doors. They should have kept the Neon Coupe. Maybe they should have "factory riced" the Stratus Coupe instead. But the Stratus is kind of big so maybe it would have cost more to really get that thing movin'. But I might end up getting an SRT-4 anyway.
This issue was addressed at the 'SRT4 presentation' I witnessed at the neon plant. I also have the dyno sheets on my dv cam, even though I shouldn't have done that (illegal). However, the problem is coupes just don't sell well. The 1st generation neons, the coupes were SUPPOSED to be about half of all neons sold. However, they ended up being like only 15% of all neons sold. So since consumers don't buy neon coupes, they aren't making neon coupes. Coupes rule though. Instead of the SRT-4, you could just buy a 1st gen Neon Coupe and drop a 2.4 in it yourself (like I'm going to do). Its cheaper, but not as fast. To go real fast you'd have to drop in a built 2.4 with turbo, and then MAYBE you could keep up with the SRT-4, but I doubt it. SRT-4s are MAD tuned.

- Ca$h

Forum Regular
Aug 12, 2002, 01:31 PM

Vanquish: Are you mentally handicapped? I SAID you use the 2.0 ECU on the 2.4. Know why? Its the SAME ENGINE, just bigger pistons and bigger stroke.

F*cking idiot. Go drink tea.

- Ca$h
No kidding, people on this forum need to listen!! or rather read
PZ

Banned
Sep 9, 2002, 03:20 PM

Hrm. Yeah. This topic is still amusing.

- Ca$h

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 9, 2002, 04:15 PM

Originally posted by KarlG:

I know: I rode in one once, and it damn near snapped my neck with all that power, while the driver was shifting

I can easily snap necks in my less than 120hp stock 96 (i'm not going to tell you what), and it has a slipping clutch! really, it doesn't take that much.
iBook G4-1.33/768 || B&W G3-450/640 || Beige G3-G4 450/352 || Beige G3-400/256 in Classic case || Beige G3-300/256 || PB 5300cs Pictureframe 100/24

Addicted to MacNN
Sep 9, 2002, 06:29 PM

its called down shifting to 2nd gear

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

Banned
Sep 9, 2002, 06:30 PM

Lothar, nobody cares what you think. So shut the **** up, kay? Good.

- Ca$h

Forum Links
Forum Rules