Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > OS 9 is dead - RIP

OS 9 is dead - RIP (Page 2)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2002, 09:07 PM

I plan to use Mac OS 9 till I get a new Power Mac, waiting for the G? PPC 970 with functional DDR!

Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2002, 09:08 PM

Originally posted by Re$iliant68:
OS9 is fast. I like it. It runs great on my machine. It does everything I could ask for in an OS. Why should I switch?

- Ca$h
One word: WebGrazer (formally AdultMediaFinder)

Nobody ever mentions my legendary sexual prowess.

dvd
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 28, 2002, 10:37 PM

windows xp on a 500mhz or so pc isnt as slow as mac os x.2 on a ..let see let me do the calculation for the mhz myth... on a 300mhz mac =\. I would have love a better os 9, but instead we got os x? wee.. eyecandy, weee lagging my computer. i have a ibook 700g3 with 384mb of ram and this is very sad. i use os 9 at times now, but i just leave os x.2 and try to suck it up and use the laggy machine.

Clinically Insane
Oct 29, 2002, 02:02 AM

Originally posted by Stogieman:

One word: WebGrazer (formally AdultMediaFinder)
OS9 has Diiva

Oct 29, 2002, 04:25 AM

strange, the main purpose of development the past 10 or more years is speed related, and now all of a sudden all the X users can live with a bit of a slowdown. I couldn't, not for a thousand characters file name.
-- --

Mac Enthusiast
Oct 29, 2002, 06:48 AM

Originally posted by Miniryu:

Its funny, I thought the big deal about Jaguar was that OS X was finally finished. I am using it now and I don't have any problems (other than the snappiness of OS 9 that I miss). I am willing to sacrafice this for the added stability.

Thats what they want you to think.....wait till 10.5 comes out,and you have to pay again for a finished product......

But serious,use whatever you like...for me,9.2 works like a charm,and it does what I want it to.

I'm sure I'm going to try X somewhere in the near future,but till that day,I'm perfectly happy with 9.
MOSTLY HARMLESS

http://www.macfreak.nl

Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2002, 08:13 AM

Here's a speed issue for you: Under OS 8-9.x- hang/ grumble/ reboot. Repeat.
OS X.x- no hang. No Grumble. No Reboot. No repeat. I just keep on working.

I'm going to pull your head off because I don't like your head.

Senior User
Oct 29, 2002, 09:10 AM

I can see why people stick with Mac OS 9.... I guess it is an extremely comfortable OS for people who have lived with the "Classic" Mac system for years and years. If it works fantastic on your machine, and you have no problems with the OS, or if your hardware does not support OS X, then I say do what you feel is best.

However, the people who insist that OS 9 is better than OS X, well, I personally think these people really need to go and do some thinking!

I have been using OS X since more or less day one.... from 10.0. The first machine I ran X on was an iBook 366 Indigo with 192MB of RAM..... and it worked fine for me, even in those early days.

I now run X 10.2.1 on my iBook 600 DVD with 384MB of RAM, and I think the system runs just great. I have had no speed related problems!

Sure, OS 9 may be faster, but then what do you expect? It was designed to run on hardware which is now 3 years old! Mac OS X is designed to run on current hardware...... and it is going to run at its best on the very highest level of surrent hardware!

I love Mac OS X.... but I do still use Mac OS 9 in Classic mode for a couple of apps which I cannot yet afford the latest versions of, such as PS 6, DW 4 and Office 2001. (And I don't even have speed issues with apps running in Classic, though I don't do any really high level stuff on them.... but then if I did I would have a PowerBook / Power Mac.)

Anyway, Mac OS X is definately the future!

Col
F is for Fooyork.

Posting Junkie
Oct 29, 2002, 12:06 PM

Originally posted by pete.z:

Thats what they want you to think.....wait till 10.5 comes out,and you have to pay again for a finished product......
Pay???

Jag is nice, its stable as all hell, a big sluggish, but hey.

I booted into 9 the other day to use Quark..... Holy crap It made me realize just how much faster 9 is than X, it was like the first day I used my new G4 after having my little iMac for 2 years.

Long live 9!!! (yes I do use X 99% of the time now, but fu*k it)

Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2002, 12:34 PM

Originally posted by sek929:

I booted into 9 the other day to use Quark..... Holy crap It made me realize just how much faster 9 is than X, it was like the first day I used my new G4 after having my little iMac for 2 years.

Long live 9!!! (yes I do use X 99% of the time now, but fu*k it)
I'm with ya.

9 is dead! Long live 9!

Where did you notice 9 speed when you used it? Are you running X.2 on that g4? Specs? Just curious.
i look in your general direction

Posting Junkie
Oct 29, 2002, 01:14 PM

Originally posted by pliny:

I'm with ya.

9 is dead! Long live 9!

Where did you notice 9 speed when you used it? Are you running X.2 on that g4? Specs? Just curious.
G4 (Quicksilver) 733, 1024MB RAM, nVidia GeForce 2 MX. Main OS, 10.2.1

In 9 the Finder FLIES! Programs start up quicker than I can react to.

Oh and for you 9 crash haters, my G4, before I switched to X, barely froze, let alone crashed. Yes X is more stable, but man, 9 is one lean mean operating system machine.

Now X.2 is a grand improvement over <shudder> 10.1.x. Now with Quartz Extreme I only wanna tear my hair out like twice a day, instead of 50.

Forum Links
Forum Rules