Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > How can i take my car off the road

How can i take my car off the road
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 12, 2002, 03:07 PM

hello all!

my old 88 nissan sentra finally gave up on me and since this was my first and only car, I want to know how i can take it off the road.

I mailed back my plate and registration to DMV, and i don't know what to do next. I heard few years back some guys from auto shop will pay you 100 buck and take your car but nowadays you have to pay them to take it away.

Well either way is fine with me and what should i do with my car's title?

i'm living in NYC by the way, any info will be appreciated!!!

G4Y
Banned
Nov 12, 2002, 04:10 PM

Park ti outside, set it on fire, and claim that someone else did. Collect the insurance $.

- Ca$h

Professional Poster
Nov 12, 2002, 04:21 PM

well, here's what the NewYork DMV hs to say about it...
http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/proove.htm
The short shall inherit the earth. Just you wait. You won't see us coming. We'll pop out from under tables, beds, and closets in hordes. So you're tall, huh? You won't be so tall when I chew off your ankles. Mofo

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 12, 2002, 04:23 PM

Originally posted by cheerios:
well, here's what the NewYork DMV hs to say about it...
http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/proove.htm
Thanks man! but i have read that beforehand and it did not say anything about the car. I might just well set fire on my car as g4y said...

Senior User
Nov 12, 2002, 04:31 PM

There are orginizations that take it for you like the Kidney foundation.

Call them up.

Professional Poster
Nov 12, 2002, 04:40 PM

I'm a chick

Well, I tried. I'd donate it... get the tax deduction. It's not TOO hard to find someone who will take it for parts or scrap. Or look into getting it recycled?

don't listen to Ca$h there, insurance fraud == bad mojo. He's just pissy 'cuz he was a d*ck and got banned again.

edit: I just googled "donate car charity." there are too many hits to post links to, but you may wanna peruse that... seems like a good deal.
The short shall inherit the earth. Just you wait. You won't see us coming. We'll pop out from under tables, beds, and closets in hordes. So you're tall, huh? You won't be so tall when I chew off your ankles. Mofo

G4Y
Banned
Nov 12, 2002, 04:48 PM

I'm not pissed off at the moment.

- Ca$h

Professional Poster
Nov 12, 2002, 04:49 PM

give it a few seconds. I'm sure someone will sneeze in your general direction, and all hell will break loose.

Professional Poster
Nov 12, 2002, 05:54 PM

See if you can find a scrap metal recycler in your area. When my 1981 VW Dasher Diesel needed to be put out to pasture, I found a place that crushed it for scrap steel. THEY PAID ME .. like $55 for its 2200 lbs. (I figured that this was my best option since the blue book value of the car was $400, but said "subtract $500 for diesel" .. so it was technically worth -$100 )

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 12, 2002, 06:15 PM

Originally posted by Krusty:
See if you can find a scrap metal recycler in your area. When my 1981 VW Dasher Diesel needed to be put out to pasture, I found a place that crushed it for scrap steel. THEY PAID ME .. like $55 for its 2200 lbs. (I figured that this was my best option since the blue book value of the car was $400, but said "subtract $500 for diesel" .. so it was technically worth -$100 )

Thanks for your advice. I rather donate my car to a charity, thanks for this wonderful suggestions by the way.

This might sounds stupid, but my car had treated me good in the last five years, it only failed me twice, all within this month. And when it died, it died on a safe place where i could not get harm...amen!

I was thinking hard of fixing it up despite it will cost couple of hundreds, but the place where i moved in earlier this year, is impossible to find a parking space. That's the only reason i am giving it up!

Professional Poster
Nov 12, 2002, 08:19 PM

Originally posted by hardcat1970:

This might sounds stupid, but my car had treated me good in the last five years, it only failed me twice, all within this month. And when it died, it died on a safe place where i could not get harm...amen!
True dat ! I bought my little VW when I was 17 and it served faithfully until 2 years out of college. I loved that car (despite it ugliness). That's why I had it cruhsed .. sorta the auto version of creamation. I didn't want to see it rusting in a junkyard somewhere or being driven around town by someone else. I took a coupla emblems off of it and then put it out of its misery quickly.

Forum Links
Forum Rules