Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > iTunes 4 = FTBT ?

iTunes 4 = FTBT ?
Mac Elite
May 17, 2003, 02:17 AM

apple surely had to know how simple it would be for the apple music to get hacked an cracked.

could it be a plot to draw attention like napster did? i know that may be a stretch to even suggest it, but it did take napster to a #1 household name. maybe not a quality name, but as popular as macdonalds regardless.

FTBT? (joke on FUBU only, nothing more)

"For Thieves By Thieves"
Technology, Computing & Creativity - www.clubmedia.com

Overflowing with Design Links - www.mixinvisuals.com

VW Sites.com - Links to the Volkswagen World - www.vwsites.com

Professional Poster
May 17, 2003, 05:18 AM

oh... has it been cracked? That's more likely to be a bad thing for Apple than good, as it may scare off the record labels.

Senior User
May 17, 2003, 01:16 PM

I'm curious too - what are you referring too? I have not heard anything about apple music being cracked...

Mac Enthusiast
May 17, 2003, 01:23 PM

Are you talking about the fact that you can capture streams through the sharing feature? Well, this is no different than free internet radio, which is perfectly legal, not to mention that you are limited to 5 users.

Apple has done nothing wrong - and nothing needs to be changed. The sharing feature is terrific.

Professional Poster
May 17, 2003, 01:32 PM

Originally posted by swsteckly:
Are you talking about the fact that you can capture streams through the sharing feature? Well, this is no different than free internet radio, which is perfectly legal, not to mention that you are limited to 5 users.

Apple has done nothing wrong - and nothing needs to be changed. The sharing feature is terrific.
Nope. I don't think he is talking about this directly.

There is a program out there (which shall remain nameless), that lets someone 'log into' your version of iTunes 4 through the 'sharing over IP' protocol, and turn it into a genuine p2p application... You are able to Download someones music direct from iTunes. No need for capturing streams etc, it is genuine p2p.

There have been a few theads about it posted recently, but thankfully they have been deleted...

If Apple doesn't sort it out, I could see the Music Store being under threat.

Peace,

Marc

Senior User
May 17, 2003, 01:37 PM

i wonder if respect for Apple can hold the piracy. let's hope so, because if someone wants to crack it, they will, eventually...
Ryan

Professional Poster
May 17, 2003, 01:38 PM

Yeah, I've read the reports about cracking the protection on the ACC tracks you download. It could bring a lot of name recognition ala Napster, but the difference is that Apple has made a more than reasonable attempt to thwart piracy. So it won't (IMO) bite them in the åss at a later date. But the cracks are supposedly easy, so it could be shared P2P. Just share the protected songs and let the person who downloads "unprotect" it.

The fact that it has been (by-and-large) legit so far gives me hope that Apple has a winning idea. We'll have to wait and see who copies, modifies, and repackages it (*cough* MS *cough*) before we'll know if it will stay an Apple gem.
( Last edited by boots; May 17, 2003 at 03:31 PM. )

If Heaven has a dress code, I'm walkin to Hell in my Tony Lamas.

Clinically Insane
May 17, 2003, 03:17 PM

I think Apple will just make it work only on your own subnet. Poof. No more problems.

Wasn't that how Steve pimped it at the introduction anyways?

Clinically Insane
May 17, 2003, 03:31 PM

Originally posted by boots:
But the cracks are supposedly easy, so it could be shared P2P. Just share the protected songs and let the person who downloads "unprotect" it.
But isn't even possessing this (let alone using/coding/distributing/etc) against the law?

That wont stop it of course, but it will have some (greater) effect than the illegality of using P2P to download copyrighted material.

At the very least it will bring to the fore the fact we live in a world where code is illegal.

Professional Poster
May 17, 2003, 03:35 PM

Originally posted by subego:
But isn't even possessing this (let alone using/coding/distributing/etc) against the law?

Yep. That's why I said it would be on the download side. That's were Apple's liability gets removed.

It is the fundamental difference between P2P as it stands now and P2P in the future. P2P can have some great advantages for a lot of things, but liability is on the service provider right now, as well as on the user. Something like this places it squarely on the shoulders of the user.

If Heaven has a dress code, I'm walkin to Hell in my Tony Lamas.

Clinically Insane
May 17, 2003, 03:50 PM

Originally posted by boots:
Yep. That's why I said it would be on the download side.
I was responding to Ryan1524, but I quoted you for some (no doubt stupid) reason.

I think I need to stop posting for awhile...

[lurkmode]

Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2003, 01:59 AM

Why would the labels care? You can copy a CD and P2P it too...

Clinically Insane
May 18, 2003, 05:01 PM

Originally posted by Superchic[k]en:
Why would the labels care? You can copy a CD and P2P it too...
I don't know whether you've noticed, but labels are kinda down on P2P lately.

And the thought that one of the first major forays into online marketing of music has been signed with a company that may be percieved to indirectly make piracy easily possible through the same software used to sell music...well, you don't think that this could be a problem unless cards are played VERY carefully?

No?

-s*

Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2003, 07:08 PM

Are you referring to iLeech?

1. iLeech is *not* illegal. If you claim that it is, please state under which law and why.
2. iLeech + iTunes is *not* P2P. It's Client-Server.

MacNN is considered an ISP under the DMCA and is not liable for copyright infringement or contributory copyright infringement as a result of what someone posts in these forums, unless they receive a takedown notice and do not act upon it.

Grizzled Veteran
May 18, 2003, 07:28 PM

Of course Apple should be worried about how they are going to enforce the DRM'd MP4s people buy.

Already people are doing their best to convert Music Store bought MP4s to MP3s, to move them onto CDs played on home stereos and in cars, and to share with friends.

If Apple were sneaky, they'd write software that hacks their own iTunes 4 scheme, and put it out on Version Tracker (using an alias name no one would trace back to Apple). It would make a log that Apple could see, with info about the users who's files are getting de-authorized every time it strips the DRM. What they do with the info is up to them, but it would let them see how many people are screwing their system.
"I stand accused, just like you, for being born without a silver spoon." Richard Ashcroft

Forum Links
Forum Rules