Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Arrested for Copying DVDs?

Arrested for Copying DVDs?
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 18, 2003, 04:41 AM

I'm having an argument with someone, and I wonder if you could help me out. Has anyone ever been arrested for owning copied DVDs? (ie DVD-Rs of movies that they don't have the original DVDs for). I've heard of people trying to sell them commercially getting into trouble, and of course there was the flap about the DeCSS, but I have never heard of anyone getting arrested for just owning some copied DVDs, and I'm not even sure that the law would allow that. Aside from the fact that it would be very unlikely that anyone in authority would ever find out about your secret cache of copied movies, could they do anything about it even if they (whoever "they" are) found out? I say no, but I don't really have any proof.

icruise  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 18, 2003, 05:19 PM

No ideas about this?

Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2003, 05:33 PM

Originally posted by Icruise:
I'm having an argument with someone, and I wonder if you could help me out. Has anyone ever been arrested for owning copied DVDs? (ie DVD-Rs of movies that they don't have the original DVDs for). I've heard of people trying to sell them commercially getting into trouble, and of course there was the flap about the DeCSS, but I have never heard of anyone getting arrested for just owning some copied DVDs, and I'm not even sure that the law would allow that. Aside from the fact that it would be very unlikely that anyone in authority would ever find out about your secret cache of copied movies, could they do anything about it even if they (whoever "they" are) found out? I say no, but I don't really have any proof.
I did read this earlier and thought someone might know more. I know it is definately illegal to copy DVD's even if it's just for home use. If you were caught with copied DVD's they could probably arrest you for it seeing as it clearly states on the DVD itself that copying it for any use unless given permission is strictly prohibited.
I don't have proof of nor have I ever heard of anyone getting arrested though. How would anyone know you had done it unless you circulated them on the internet or something?

Moderator Emeritus
Jun 18, 2003, 06:09 PM

Originally posted by lil'babykitten:
I know it is definately illegal to copy DVD's even if it's just for home use.
Really? You have a source?

Addicted to MacNN
Jun 18, 2003, 06:35 PM

I simply wouldn't do it in the first place. I am a grown man, and I still look over my shoulder, waiting for the mattress police to show up for all those tags I pulled off the furniture when I was little.

Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2003, 06:51 PM

Just like you are not suppose to copy VHS tapes...who or how would they stop you?

Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2003, 06:54 PM

Who said it was illegal to copy DVDs/VHS?

Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2003, 07:09 PM

the only way you do it and really get caught is to mass copy and sell them.

besides that. have at it. wear your burners out
Technology, Computing & Creativity - www.clubmedia.com

Overflowing with Design Links - www.mixinvisuals.com

VW Sites.com - Links to the Volkswagen World - www.vwsites.com

Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2003, 07:26 PM

"do not remove under penalty of law" usually means that until it's sold to the 'consumer' it can't be removed.

Anyway, yeah, I've removed them in stores too so O_o oh no!!! lol.

Now I'm not going to get any sleep. Maybe they'll find out about my tapes that I got off the radio and the fact we use cable splitters to watch cable tv on all of our tvs (even though the cable company installed them).

I'm scared! I wrote on a dollar bill one day too! Isn't that a federal offence? lol.

You people worry too much.
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

Addicted to MacNN
Jun 18, 2003, 08:36 PM

Originally posted by Mac Zealot:
"do not remove under penalty of law" usually means that until it's sold to the 'consumer' it can't be removed.

Anyway, yeah, I've removed them in stores too so O_o oh no!!! lol.
sshhh! Don't tell everybody!

icruise  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 18, 2003, 10:18 PM

Anyway, the point of my question is: has anyone ever gotten into legal trouble just for owning copied DVDs? Has anyone read any news items or anything like this? My position is that while it is illegal, they aren't going to prosecute an individual consumer.

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 18, 2003, 10:50 PM

I was watching one of those As Seen On Tv PC ads the other day.

Anyway, one of the features was the ability to make copies of dvd movies (for back up ofcourse).

Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2003, 12:00 AM

Originally posted by sideus:
Who said it was illegal to copy DVDs/VHS?
The DMCA. Crappy law that is. (It's not illegal per se but it IS illegal to break any form of electronic encryption which all DVDs are made with. Crappy CSS encryption. Same with Macrovision and VHS.)

Professional Poster
Jun 19, 2003, 04:55 AM

Originally posted by King Bob On The Cob:
The DMCA. Crappy law that is. (It's not illegal per se but it IS illegal to break any form of electronic encryption which all DVDs are made with. Crappy CSS encryption. Same with Macrovision and VHS.)
so, as long as you copy the encryption, there should be no problem.

-r.

icruise  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 19, 2003, 11:23 AM

Isn't the whole purpose of the encryption to make copying impossible? "Copying the encryption" doesn't make sense to me at all.

Addicted to MacNN
Jun 19, 2003, 01:07 PM

I think it's even a criminal offense to have the DeCSS software. Even linking to it on the internet is a criminal offense.

At least that was the case a while back with a couple of high profile cases. Perhaps there has been some legal precedents changing that since then. I'm not sure.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." -- Hunter S. Thompson

Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2003, 03:57 PM

Originally posted by Icruise:
Isn't the whole purpose of the encryption to make copying impossible? "Copying the encryption" doesn't make sense to me at all.
Encryption doesn't stop copying one bit.

Example: various people run 'number stations' around the world. (Don't ask me who's running these things: could be the US government, could be any damn body) These consist of radio broadcasts of encrypted messages. All you can hear is someone reading off a list of numbers. When decrypted, these numbers have meaning. Perhaps important meaning. But there's nothing inherent in the message that stops you from hooking a tape recorder to your radio and keeping a copy.

Someone who wanted to read it would. Even if they couldn't break the encryption instantly, if they might eventually break it, and it might nevertheless yield a useful message. (such as the identity of a spy, or the existance of a bug, or a clue that helps speed up the decryption of later messages, that kind of thing)

If you like a more practical demonstration, try this. Here is an encrypted message: GURFR PERGZ RFFNT RVFZL UBRIE PENSG VFSHY YBSRR YF. You have no idea what it says, and trust me, it does say something when decoded. Now go out and spray paint it on your neighbor's house. You just made a copy.

With regards to CSS encrypted DVDs, if you have the right equipment, you can just copy the DVD, encryption and all. A bit-for-bit copy. You still need a proper DVD player to play the thing, but you can get one of those pretty cheaply at the Walmart.

Encryption doesn't stop serious pirates. It just makes things mildly inconvenient. It DOES stop people from making players, however. You can see why people object to CSS as being monopolistic.
--
This and all my other posts are hereby in the public domain. I am a lawyer. But I'm not your lawyer, and this isn't legal advice.

icruise  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 19, 2003, 05:51 PM

My point was that all of the DVD copying methods that I know of (ie those that people might actually use on their computer) rely on decryption to make the copy. Otherwise the copied disk won't play. Sure, you can copy the encoded data, but there's no point.

Professional Poster
Jun 19, 2003, 07:30 PM

you can't make DVD images and do bit-for-bit copies of DVDs because you can't buy 9gb DVD-Rs to put them on to in the first place.
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 19, 2003, 07:39 PM

Not all DVD movies are 9 gigs.

Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2003, 08:02 PM

Originally posted by CollinG3G4:
Not all DVD movies are 9 gigs.
most commercial ones are...

Forum Links
Forum Rules