Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Anyone know how to get fiber glass out of your hand?

Anyone know how to get fiber glass out of your hand?
Senior User
Oct 19, 2003, 04:26 PM

Ok, I found a pole at a friends house, picked it up, started messing around and stuff.
I thought it was plastic, all the sudden my
hand is all glittery, and hurts/itches like crazy.
Fiber Glass.
How do I get the damn shards out?

Occasionally Useful
Oct 19, 2003, 04:30 PM

try strong tape. almost like a chick would wax her legs; just yank the tape off.

(and don't do it again)
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

Addicted to MacNN
Oct 19, 2003, 04:42 PM

Yup. Gaffa tape should do the trick.

Occasionally Useful
Oct 19, 2003, 04:47 PM

there's actually a plant in Queensland called the gympi-gympi, which can kill you if you touch it. gympi is the Aboriginal word for bad, so you get the picture. you get a load of what you described in your original post, and your body can go into shock. the plant's victim has to get waxed. i sh*t meself when the tour guide was telling me, as we were in a rainforest area at the time, and he pointed loads out. blergh, friggin' Aussies.
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

Moderator Emeritus
Oct 19, 2003, 04:53 PM

Let this be a lesson.
Don't touch your friends pole.

Clinically Insane
Oct 19, 2003, 05:19 PM

Originally posted by philzilla:
there's actually a plant in Queensland called the gympi-gympi, which can kill you if you touch it. gympi is the Aboriginal word for bad, so you get the picture. you get a load of what you described in your original post, and your body can go into shock. the plant's victim has to get waxed. i sh*t meself when the tour guide was telling me, as we were in a rainforest area at the time, and he pointed loads out. blergh, friggin' Aussies.
Yeah, those things are damn nasty... siliceous hairs that dig into your skin upon contact.

The pain can come back, much worse than before, randomly, up to two months after contact (maybe more).

People have been known to commit suicide after contact with these trees, due to the absolutely excruciating pain.

Oct 19, 2003, 05:32 PM

Use vegetable oil, massage it into your skin. BTW, vegetable oil also works if you get chewing gum in your hair etc.

Professional Poster
Oct 19, 2003, 07:33 PM

Originally posted by Back-to-Mac:
Use vegetable oil, massage it into your skin. BTW, vegetable oil also works if you get chewing gum in your hair etc.
Sounds considerably less painful than strong tape, in any event.
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2003, 10:22 PM

I second the oil, although baby oil was my salve. My family has the Snark, an old fiberglass boat that's strong enough to have four little boys turn it over in the lake and play king of the Snark. I tried it with multiple cousins, and it was the exact same boat thirty years later and had started coming apart...

Man, that hurt. It didn't hurt for about five minutes of heavy play, someone gets a bloody nose and we calm down for a second. As soon as I get out of the water, i realize that my chest, forearms, face are all burning. Baby oil was liberally applied, and King of the Snark was no longer played. It's a fine boat for two people wearing long pants.
Actual conversation between UCLA and Stanford during a login on early Internet - U: I'm going to type an L! Did you get an L? S: I got one-one-four. L! U:Did you get the O? S: One-one-seven. U: <types G> S: The computer just crashed.

Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2003, 10:25 PM

Originally posted by Myrkridia:
Ok, I found a pole at a friends house, picked it up, started messing around and stuff.
I thought it was plastic, all the sudden my
hand is all glittery, and hurts/itches like crazy.
Fiber Glass.
How do I get the damn shards out?
Take pictures.

Mac Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2003, 03:25 AM

rub panty hose over your skin....I worked as an insulator for a few years, it works great for fiberglass insulation.
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

Baninated
Oct 20, 2003, 03:28 AM

Originally posted by AKcrab:
Let this be a lesson.
Don't touch your friends pole.
Heh he was asking for that.

But seriously, buy some fiberglass remover.

They usually keep that right next to the wood stretchers.

Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2003, 11:17 AM

Originally posted by Ratspittle:
rub panty hose over your skin....I worked as an insulator for a few years, it works great for fiberglass insulation.
any excuse!

Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2003, 01:23 PM

Or, better yet… nah… nevermind.

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 20, 2003, 01:32 PM

"Hey son, you got a panty hose on your head."
Sizzling like an isotope.

Senior User
Oct 20, 2003, 05:47 PM

I tried a few of the tricks, the tape and veggie oil.
Then I just painted my hand with acrylic paint, let it dry and peeled it off, it seemed to work real well. Now I just have to wait for the little cuts to heal. Anyways, thanks for all your help and ridicule.
And I promise, from now one I'll only mess around with poles I'm familiar with.

Forum Links
Forum Rules