Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > do you still have to consummate a marriage for it to be legal?

do you still have to consummate a marriage for it to be legal?
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2003, 02:05 AM

or is that some bizarre old law?

Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Nov 2, 2003, 02:09 AM

Really, who would want to check if you did?

"Hello, what have we here?

Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2003, 02:25 AM

No. Are you trying to get out of one?

Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2003, 05:50 AM

No, but if you don't consummate it within 4 months, then one of the couple can ask for an annulment without having to get the other to agree.

Or something like that. I think it's a church thing.

Amorya
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2003, 05:54 AM

Even if the answer is yes, I don't think there are too many people out there in danger of their marriage not being legal.

Nov 2, 2003, 06:28 AM

Originally posted by scaught:
i'll do it for you...if she's ugly i'll have to charge you tho...

24 moosehead otta do it.

Mac Enthusiast
Nov 2, 2003, 01:16 PM

Originally posted by zigzag:
LOL that was the first thing that popped into my mind!

Clinically Insane
Nov 2, 2003, 02:03 PM

It may still be on the books in some places, but if so then it's one of those bizarre old laws that no one ever bothers to enforce because even most lawyers have forgotten them.

However, the idea of an unconsummated marriage being invalid does pop up in the courts from time to time, usually involving estate disputes. The Anna Nicole Smith case is a recent example of that; her husband's children saw her (probably rightly) as a gold-digger, and so when he left so much to her in his will, they were incensed and tried to fight it. The idea that they might not have consummated the marriage was one of the points they brought up; that her husband was basically manipulated into leaving her his estate while receiving none of the, erm, "benefits" of married life.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

scaught  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2003, 04:24 PM

Originally posted by zigzag:
no. not a personal question. however, if i were to have quantified my question clearly the thread wouldnt have been much fun now would it?

you were the person i was hoping would respond.

heres the story. a friend of mine got married. it probably should have never happened. according to him, after their wedding and the 6 months to a year or so before their status went to "seperated", they never "consummated" their marriage. i was under the impression that there was some legal clause in this. i figured you would know for sure. the wedding happened in vegas. they lived in detroit at the time.

Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2003, 04:33 PM

Marraige in the 20th century on was strictly a statement of incorperation for tax purposes so far as the law (eg government and judicial system) was concerned. When you get married, its the same as declaring two formerly seperate people are now a single corporate entitiy.

Donate your spare cycles - join TeamNN today!
Remember to check the Marketplace!

Professional Poster
Nov 2, 2003, 05:11 PM

One of my nephews friends was able to get out of a marriage because it was never consummated (the poor boy is gay, and he married whilst in denial).

BG

Banned
Location: Fertiliser for opium poppies outside of Kabul, killed as I was attempting to flee the American infidel wrath and their righteous pursuit of justice.
Nov 2, 2003, 05:42 PM

Originally posted by Zimmerman:
Marraige in the 20th century on was strictly a statement of incorperation for tax purposes so far as the law (eg government and judicial system) was concerned. When you get married, its the same as declaring two formerly seperate people are now a single corporate entitiy.
I don't see any government, judicial, or tax benefits to being married (unless you're a noncitizen married to a citizen, in which case it alters your immigration status and puts you on a faster track to citizenship--United States law, anyway).

maybe you could spell out some of the benefits for me.

Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2003, 05:46 PM

Originally posted by Mohammed Atef:
I don't see any government, judicial, or tax benefits to being married (unless you're a noncitizen married to a citizen, in which case it alters your immigration status and puts you on a faster track to citizenship--United States law, anyway).

maybe you could spell out some of the benefits for me.
Don't you simply pay less taxes over when your married?

Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2003, 08:08 PM

no. not a personal question. however, if i were to have quantified my question clearly the thread wouldnt have been much fun now would it?

you were the person i was hoping would respond.

heres the story. a friend of mine got married. it probably should have never happened. according to him, after their wedding and the 6 months to a year or so before their status went to "seperated", they never "consummated" their marriage. i was under the impression that there was some legal clause in this. i figured you would know for sure. the wedding happened in vegas. they lived in detroit at the time.
I'll PM you with some info.

Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2003, 08:10 PM

What if you only f*** her up the a**?
( Last edited by l008com; Nov 2, 2003 at 08:20 PM. )

Baninated
Nov 2, 2003, 08:20 PM

Originally posted by l008com:
Don't you simply pay less taxes over when your married?
Actually, you pay more taxes than single people.

You get bumped into a higher tax bracket.

Called "The Marriage Penalty".

Baninated
Nov 2, 2003, 08:22 PM

My brother received a divorce based upon it not being consummated.

It was a weird story. They lived together and a few months before their marriage she said she wanted to stop having sex until they were married. That way the wedding night would be more special. Last sex he ever had with her. Never had any on his wedding night or after.

EDIT:

Forgot to add. His marriage was legal in the eyes of the court hence the need to have a divorce.

But it is a reason for divorce.

There are historical records of the pilgrims granting the women divorces because the husband wouldn't have sex with her.

Professional Poster
Nov 2, 2003, 08:33 PM

how can making two people have sex to make their marriage legal moral? or even constitutionally correct?

Baninated
Nov 2, 2003, 09:04 PM

Originally posted by fireside:
how can making two people have sex to make their marriage legal moral? or even constitutionally correct?
Try finding marriage in the constitution.

Off Topic: You better get your keyboard fixed. The Shift key doesn't work. Well, it works on punctuation, but not letters. Weird.

Professional Poster
Nov 2, 2003, 09:07 PM

how can the state force someone to have sex to make something legal? how can the state force someone to do something legal (without probable cause)?

Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2003, 09:47 PM

Originally posted by l008com:
What if you only f*** her up the a**?
Then that's where the baby comes out.

"Do I need to draw a diagram for you then to tell you that nerdy 16-17 year olds, fat chicks and old men turn my crank then? Will you understand it then or don't you follow still chris." - Landos Mustache

Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2003, 10:08 PM

Originally posted by Misanthrope:
Yep. That's why some some girls during the prom every year give birth on the toilet... It's not until senior year until they let you in on the little secret

;-)

Originally posted by fireside:
how can the state force someone to have sex to make something legal? how can the state force someone to do something legal (without probable cause)?
Why not?
I always use protection when fscking my Mac... Do you?

Clinically Insane
Nov 2, 2003, 10:52 PM

Originally posted by Misanthrope:
DAMMIT, I WAS EATING CEREAL WHILE READING THAT AND MILK SPRAYED OUT OF MY NOSE! You BA$#@RD!!
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Mac Enthusiast
Nov 2, 2003, 11:07 PM

Originally posted by Kilbey:
My brother received a divorce based upon it not being consummated.

It was a weird story. They lived together and a few months before their marriage she said she wanted to stop having sex until they were married. That way the wedding night would be more special. Last sex he ever had with her. Never had any on his wedding night or after.

EDIT:

Forgot to add. His marriage was legal in the eyes of the court hence the need to have a divorce.

But it is a reason for divorce.

There are historical records of the pilgrims granting the women divorces because the husband wouldn't have sex with her.
Not an annulment?

I think this is an issue if you are a practicing Catholic. As I understand it, nonconsummation is one of the grounds for an annulment, which means the marriage never happened and you can get married again within the church.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 3, 2003, 02:59 AM

Originally posted by The Ginger Rat:
Not an annulment?

I think this is an issue if you are a practicing Catholic. As I understand it, nonconsummation is one of the grounds for an annulment, which means the marriage never happened and you can get married again within the church.
Quite right. My parents marriage was annuled on grounds of non-consumation, yet my brother, sister and I were ruled legitimate. They did eventually get around to it (sort of). but the wedding night counted for something. Go figure.
My mother could then re-marry (or marry given that the first one now never happened) in the church.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 3, 2003, 03:19 AM

doesn't necessarily have anything to do with Catholicism, my cousin had a marriage anulled due to lack of consummation but she is not Catholic....and this was within the last few years

Forum Links
Forum Rules