Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What does a magazine associate editor do?

What does a magazine associate editor do?
Posting Junkie
Jan 27, 2004, 05:34 PM

Maybe Lerk can answer this. I'm curious about what a magazine associate editor does. The reason is I'm being nosey about an aquaintance. I just found out that the Clay Risen whose articles I keep coming across is the same Clay Risen I took German classes with in college.

I haven't seen him in several years and now I find out that he's now an associate editor at The New Republic. I'm pretty impressed and maybe a little jealous. He only graduated about 5 years ago. So, am I right on thinking that the boy's done well? He's got a string of publishing credits to his name. Maybe a rising star? (If you can excuse the pun).

Addicted to MacNN
Jan 27, 2004, 05:36 PM

He is really just the editors bitch.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2004, 01:21 AM

I haven't seen him in several years and now I find out that he's now an associate editor at The New Republic. I'm pretty impressed and maybe a little jealous.
Sounds like this guy's got some talent. It sucks worse to see people you went to school with or worked with in the past doing well when you know they're idiots. I get to see my old freshman year college roommate on a nationwide talk show a couple of times a month and it makes me want to vomit with rage. Then I realize I'm just being a dick. Good for anybody who can "make it happen."
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2004, 09:06 PM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
He is really just the editors bitch.
A wee bit harsh maybe?

So, what does said post do?

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2004, 09:14 PM

Originally posted by DeathToWindows:
A wee bit harsh maybe?

So, what does said post do?
Harsh but that is how my friend the Associate editor called himself.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Professional Poster
Jan 29, 2004, 02:29 AM

Judging from their masthead he's pretty low on the totem pole. (And it looks like he's actually an assistant editor, which is a few rungs below associate editor.) Still, being published at all in The New Republic is pretty good for a guy who's (I'm guessing) not yet 30. I wouldn't mind having that on my resume.

Posting Junkie
Jan 29, 2004, 07:31 AM

Originally posted by CaseCom:
Judging from their masthead he's pretty low on the totem pole. (And it looks like he's actually an assistant editor, which is a few rungs below associate editor.) Still, being published at all in The New Republic is pretty good for a guy who's (I'm guessing) not yet 30. I wouldn't mind having that on my resume.
My mistake. You are right, I misread it.

Oh well, we'll have to go with saying he seems to write well and is getting widely published and quoted. That's good regardless of title.

Baninated
Jan 29, 2004, 07:33 AM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
Harsh but that is how my friend the Associate editor called himself.
Maybe he just liked the bitch title.

Professional Poster
Jan 29, 2004, 08:37 AM

When I was working (I'm on preggers leave) I was/am a content editor for online news/homepage. There are five of us. Each of us has "associate editors" that work with us. We had about 35 "associate editors" assigned to our division. I had them help with research, calling to check on sources, making appointments, making reservations, spell-checking, getting lunch, whatever was necessary to get through the day and get the job done. They kind of work as a liaison, also, between (in our case) the online content editors and the editors. Sometimes reporters and their editors want something on the web that is not legally or practically possible.

I wouldn't be jealous if I were you.

He could have slept his way into the position.

(Just joking.)

Posting Junkie
Jan 29, 2004, 09:03 AM

Originally posted by iWrite:

I wouldn't be jealous if I were you.
That depends. Have you considered what junior associates in large law firms do?

Of course, the pay scales are probably different.

Professional Poster
Jan 29, 2004, 09:08 AM

Well, maybe you're right.

Ours make about $27K to $34K a year.

But, our secretaries and personal assistants make about the same. Personal assistants make about $40K to $45K a year. (We usually share PAs though -- we don't each of us get our own.)

Forum Links
Forum Rules