Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > How long does it take food to turn into poop?

How long does it take food to turn into poop?
Professional Poster
May 30, 2004, 12:10 PM

So I was wondering the other day, how long does it take for the food that you eat to turn into the poop that falls into the can? It would be really useful to know this because then you would be able to tell what creates good shits and what makes bad ones.

Mac Elite
May 30, 2004, 12:15 PM

Originally posted by itistoday:
So I was wondering the other day, how long does it take for the food that you eat to turn into the poop that falls into the can? It would be really useful to know this because then you would be able to tell what creates good shits and what makes bad ones.
2-3 hours, I think.

Professional Poster
May 30, 2004, 12:17 PM

Originally posted by zachs:
2-3 hours, I think.
No way, can't be that soon because then we'd all be crapping a LOT more often, like every 4 hours.

Posting Junkie
May 30, 2004, 12:19 PM

Originally posted by zachs:
2-3 hours, I think.
I think you are full of crap.

I'm not sure. I'd wager anywhere between 3-5 hours—but that's just to turn in to crap. Hmm. I think I'm gonna have to make a deposit soon.... (I didn't time it, though.)

Professional Poster
May 30, 2004, 12:22 PM

Hmmm... I meant the time from entering the mouth to exiting the ass.

Posting Junkie
May 30, 2004, 12:25 PM

Hmm. Well, maybe 4-6 hours for ass exiting. I suppose it depends on what you eat, too. I've had to crap a lot faster than 4-6 hours, though. Sometimes I can go a whole day.

Mac Elite
May 30, 2004, 12:28 PM

Originally posted by MindFad:
Sometimes I can go a whole day.
That's talent!

Professional Poster
May 30, 2004, 12:28 PM

how long does it take for the food that you eat to turn into the poop that falls into the can?
As opposed to poop that falls into the refrigerator?

It would be really useful to know this because then you would be able to tell what creates good shits and what makes bad ones.
Eat some jalapeño; ambiguity gone.

Addicted to MacNN
May 30, 2004, 12:30 PM

So I was wondering the other day, how long does it take for the food that you eat to turn into the poop that falls into the can?
Jack-in-the-Box hamburgers are already converted. In most other cases, about 24-36 hours.

Professional Poster
May 30, 2004, 12:32 PM

Originally posted by dampeoples:
That's talent!
That's diverticulitis.

Mac Elite
May 30, 2004, 12:33 PM

Originally posted by zigzag:
Jack-in-the-Box hamburgers are already converted. In most other cases, about 24-36 hours.
It takes a few hours to digest the food. But, yeah, it's another 24 hours or so before it actually comes out, as it remains in the colon for a while.

Wow, what a wonderful topic for a lovely Sunday morning.

Professional Poster
May 30, 2004, 12:35 PM

Poo times: Cute.

Ok, there is more to poo times than putting a standard on an average person takes a poo 2-3, or 3-4, or 5-6 hours. This depends on a variety of factors such as how healthy your intestins are, amount of acid produced in digesting food, the quality of the food you eat, the quantity of food you eat at one sitting, and how often you eat at the same time every day. Consistency is a good thing. I used to eat only certain foods that were easily digested, were the highest of quality, only took pharmaceutical grade suppliments, and worked out religiously. For me, a healthy crap was only a few hours away after eating, was of a normal milk chocolate color, firm but not hard consistency and length. Of course this was the previous meal making it's exit. If this sounds a bit "anal", pun intended, I did it because I gave a sh!t about my health at the time...

Your poo can tell you a lot of how you eat, and what is going on in your body.

Maybe this was a bit more than you asked for?

Mac Elite
Location: to your right, if you are wearing bronze, to your left, if you are wearing silver
May 30, 2004, 12:37 PM

Jack-in-the-Box hamburgers are already converted....
ROFL

So keep on living And don`t start giving The devil good reasons To get you in the seasons of heartbreak Baby are you tough enough?

Professional Poster
May 30, 2004, 12:42 PM

LOL. Taco Bell is another exception to the 24-36 hour rule.

Professional Poster
May 30, 2004, 12:43 PM

BTW, just found this site:

http://poopreport.com

The freedom of all is essential to my freedom. - Mikhail Bakunin

Professional Poster
May 30, 2004, 12:45 PM

Originally posted by ghost_flash:
Poo times: Cute.

Ok, there is more to poo times than putting a standard on an average person takes a poo 2-3, or 3-4, or 5-6 hours. This depends on a variety of factors such as how healthy your intestins are, amount of acid produced in digesting food, the quality of the food you eat, the quantity of food you eat at one sitting, and how often you eat at the same time every day. Consistency is a good thing. I used to eat only certain foods that were easily digested, were the highest of quality, only took pharmaceutical grade suppliments, and worked out religiously. For me, a healthy crap was only a few hours away after eating, was of a normal milk chocolate color, firm but not hard consistency and length. Of course this was the previous meal making it's exit. If this sounds a bit "anal", pun intended, I did it because I gave a sh!t about my health at the time...

Your poo can tell you a lot of how you eat, and what is going on in your body.

Maybe this was a bit more than you asked for?
Nah, it was perfect

But does there exist and approximate "average" number for the entire cycle? Or is it, as you say, completely variable?

Professional Poster
May 30, 2004, 12:59 PM

I read somewhere that the average American hits the john four times a-day, one instance of which is for poop.

Professional Poster
May 30, 2004, 02:03 PM

Jack-in-the-Crack hamburgers are already converted. In most other cases, about 24-36 hours.
Fixed.

McDonald's too.....

Addicted to MacNN
May 30, 2004, 02:36 PM

Like others it is individualized on health, exercise, and what you are eating.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Professional Poster
May 30, 2004, 03:17 PM

Originally posted by Axo1ot1:
I read somewhere that the average American hits the john four times a-day, one instance of which is for poop.
You mean like to:

- Wash hands before eating breakfast, lunch or dinner?
- Take a shower or a bath?

So what does the average Euro-pee-in do and how many times for s/he?

Once? to crap, and no others to brush teeth or wash up?

Ameri-haters are so amusing.

Professional Poster
May 30, 2004, 03:19 PM

i learn so much here.
I tried to sig-spam the forums.
ADVANTAGE Motorsports Marketing, Inc. • speedXdesign, Inc.

Baninated
May 30, 2004, 03:20 PM

Yes, unlike the Europeans, we shower and brush our teeth.

Mac Elite
May 30, 2004, 03:22 PM

You mean like to:

- Wash hands before eating breakfast, lunch or dinner?

So what does the average Euro-pee-in do and how many times for s/he?

Once? to crap, and no others to brush teeth or wash up?

Ameri-haters are so amusing.
Your satire is highly amusing.

Dedicated MacNNer
May 30, 2004, 03:23 PM

Some food comes out the other end no different from how it went in - McDonalds.

Professional Poster
May 30, 2004, 04:01 PM

See for yourself if it's still on display. I saw this a while back in Popular Science. A pretty cool idea.

Citizen Science
A machine eats, digests, and—well, you know—all in the name of art. It's amazing, but it ain't pretty.

Odds are, you don't think about your digestive system much, except when it demands attention. But you're not likely ever to take your innards for granted again after you see a current exhibit at New York's New Museum of Contemporary Art. It's an in-your-face $200,000 simulation of the human digestive tract by Belgian artist Wim Delvoye. Called Cloaca (Latin for sewer), it grinds up restaurant meals and then digests them for 22 hours, eventually depositing a sausage of waste on a conveyor belt. Delvoye developed the machine with scientists at the University of Antwerp—and numerous plumbers. "I realized that it didn't have to look like a stomach," he says. "Once you imagine an abstraction, you can translate it into mechanical devices."

<snip>...

Cloaca, a simulation of the human digestive system, gets a takeout meal from a local restaurant twice a day, along with 2.6 quarts of water. In the first chamber, a garbage disposal and a meat grinder substitute for teeth. The food gets chewed up and mingles with acid in the first jar. When necessary, the level of acidity can be adjusted either locally or via the Internet from the artist's workshop in Belgium. In the second jar, the food mixes with the pancreatic enzyme pancreatin to break down fats, starches, and proteins. The third jar represents the beginning of the upper intestine. Bile is added to the mix. Jars 4 through 6 simulate the upper and lower intestines. Magnetic stirrers operating 24 hours a day mix the jars' contents. Rhythmic contractions of tubes that connect the jars force the digestive slurry from one jar to the next.

In the final chamber, liquid is drained into a waste bucket, and the machine deposits an artificial bowel movement on a conveyor belt—the results of which a museum staffer flushes down the toilet.
The only thing that I am reasonably sure of is that anybody who's got an ideology has stopped thinking. - Arthur Miller

Grizzled Veteran
May 30, 2004, 04:04 PM

www.ratemypoo.com

^ filthy, horrible horrible site! I just love it!

I'm so juvenile

You can't eat all those hamburgers, you hear me you ridiculous man?

Mac Elite
May 30, 2004, 04:06 PM

Originally posted by qnxde:
www.ratemypoo.com

^ filthy, horrible horrible site! I just love it!

I'm so juvenile
If you're linking to ratemypoo, then I guess I'll just have to post this one:

http://www.doodie.com/

Mac Elite
Location: to your right, if you are wearing bronze, to your left, if you are wearing silver
May 30, 2004, 04:10 PM

you take a shower in the john? so telling.

So keep on living And don`t start giving The devil good reasons To get you in the seasons of heartbreak Baby are you tough enough?

Professional Poster
May 30, 2004, 04:17 PM

And I say that study is skewed by the females of our species.

If Females Ruled the World:
The only thing that I am reasonably sure of is that anybody who's got an ideology has stopped thinking. - Arthur Miller

Professional Poster
May 30, 2004, 04:25 PM

Hehe, that looks like the entrance to the G.W. I was wondering what all the renovations were for...

Mac Elite
May 31, 2004, 12:32 PM

How long does it take food to turn into poop?
I hope those folks out there without Internet access know about all the wonderful intellectual discussions they're missing

Addicted to MacNN
May 31, 2004, 12:46 PM

Originally posted by f1000:
Eat some jalapeño; ambiguity gone.
ya. ive had some thai food that gave new meaning to the term "from the belly of the beast"

(it was goooooooood)

Addicted to MacNN
May 31, 2004, 05:45 PM

What about when you eat really bad food? Isn't that sh!t when it's still on the fork?
I always use protection when fscking my Mac... Do you?

Posting Junkie
May 31, 2004, 08:22 PM

So I was wondering the other day, how long does it take for the food that you eat to turn into the poop that falls into the can?
Lonely? Please stop wondering...

Professional Poster
May 31, 2004, 08:27 PM

Originally posted by phoenixboy:
you take a shower in the john? so telling.
In America we have showers and baths in our bathrooms. It makes it quite convenient you know, instead of having a seperate room for the toilet, the shower and the bath...

I understand your crude remark, but felt just in *case* you were a total idiot, and not being an a-hole...

How about a picture?:

See, it's all in the same room...

Professional Poster
May 31, 2004, 08:32 PM

In America we have showers and baths in our bathrooms. It makes it quite convenient you know, instead of having a seperate room for the toilet, the shower and the bath...

I understand your crude remark, but felt just in *case* you were a total idiot, and not being an a-hole...

How about a picture?:

See, it's all in the same room...
It is the toilet itself that is referred to as the 'john.'

How about give your computer to charity?

Professional Poster
May 31, 2004, 08:36 PM

It is the toilet itself that is referred to as the 'john.'

How about give your computer to charity?
We refer to the JOHN as the room where the toilet is, along with the shower and the bath.

How about give your brain to charity? Or better yet, I have some lint in my pockets...

Posting Junkie
May 31, 2004, 09:01 PM

Wasn't it pretty clear that Axo was referring to the toilet? The "john" can be in reference to the room or the toilet itself. Who "hits the john" to wash their hands?

Such hatred. Makes me want to whine on the Internet.

Professional Poster
May 31, 2004, 09:06 PM

Originally posted by MindFad:
Makes me want to whine on the Internet.
Isn't that what you do with you little signatures?

Posting Junkie
May 31, 2004, 09:13 PM

Isn't that what you do with you little signatures?
That's the spirit.

Wait, "little"? I can't make them any bigger, you know. 140x40 is the limit. Is that some intellectual superiority complex you let slip out? Or are my sigs really too small for you? Do you promise to cry about it?

Thx,

MF

Clinically Insane
May 31, 2004, 11:13 PM

On average, 4 to 6 hours. It depends on what you eat.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 1, 2004, 02:47 AM

We refer to the JOHN as the room where the toilet is, along with the shower and the bath.
If you refer to the John, wether it be the bathroom or the toilet, the intention is to excrete waste, not shower or wash up.

Addicted to MacNN
Jun 1, 2004, 03:40 AM

Originally posted by Will McGoonigle:
Some food comes out the other end no different from how it went in - McDonalds.
Corn is the other food that comes to mind.

Nobody ever mentions my legendary sexual prowess.

Professional Poster
Jun 1, 2004, 10:09 AM

Originally posted by Xeo:
If you refer to the John, wether it be the bathroom or the toilet, the intention is to excrete waste, not shower or wash up.
Read the whole thread. I didn't divert this, someone else did with a comment of Americans going 4 times per day, one of which to go poo. Paraphrase.

Baninated
Jun 1, 2004, 10:57 AM

Read the whole thread. I didn't divert this, someone else did with a comment of Americans going 4 times per day, one of which to go poo. Paraphrase.
Don't you know? It's not the person that originally derails the thread that gets scolded.

It's the person that replies further on down. Makes perfect sense doesn't it?

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 1, 2004, 11:11 AM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
Don't you know? It's not the person that originally derails the thread that gets scolded.

It's the person that replies further on down. Makes perfect sense doesn't it?
It does because the idiot who replies keeps it going because he can't stand not to prove his petty point, to the great annoyance of the people who were talking about poo.

Those cows won't know what hit 'em. They won't know what hit them even after it hits them, because they're cows.

Posting Junkie
Jun 1, 2004, 11:13 AM

Originally posted by Tulkas:
It does because the idiot who replies keeps it going because he can't stand not to prove his petty point, to the great annoyance of the people who were talking about poo.
Whooopaaah!

Professional Poster
Jun 1, 2004, 11:19 AM

"Pooh"

Professional Poster
Jun 1, 2004, 02:44 PM

i find it hard to believe that thats derailing the thread considering it was about pooping.

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 1, 2004, 02:56 PM

Read here: Bowel Transit Time Test

I can't believe anyone would think that just because they take a BM, it was their most recent meal. Seriously, there are major things wrong when you pass your food in under 12 hours without an enema...

"Short bowel transit times may be caused by certain medications and by many conditions, including inflammatory bowel disease, intestinal infections, lactose intolerance, or irritable bowel syndrome."
"I stand accused, just like you, for being born without a silver spoon." Richard Ashcroft

Forum Links
Forum Rules