Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Moving to Cambridge, MA, bad back, can anyone help?

Moving to Cambridge, MA, bad back, can anyone help?
Baninated
Sep 7, 2004, 08:33 PM

I have moved from my home in Chicago to Cambridge, MA to go to school. I'm wondering if there is any kind MacNNer out there that might be willing to donate (or sell) to a poor college student the following

* Desk for computer/studying
* Kitchen table
* Couple of chairs
* Small futon/sofa/love seat
* Shelves

I would be indebted forever and ever. I can come and pick it up and even give you a few bucks to help me move it in. I've got a bad back and have been on disability twice because of it.

If anyplace could help out a stranger, this is it!

Thanks!
( Last edited by bstone; Sep 7, 2004 at 10:59 PM. )

Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2004, 09:07 PM

Another option, if you don't get all you need through MacNN: If you're a student at MIT, Harvard, Suffolk or BU, you can buy cheap used furniture from the MIT Student Furniture Exchange in Cambridge: (617) 253-4293.

Professional Poster
Sep 7, 2004, 09:52 PM

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

bstone  (op)
Baninated
Sep 7, 2004, 10:57 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I guess my real need is for someone who can help me move it in. That person will go down in my book as a truely righeous person.

Professional Poster
Sep 7, 2004, 11:01 PM

If you were a chick you'd have a line of guys who would help. But since you are a guy and apparently have no friends in Boston you are SOL. Hire someone like everybody else who needs help moving. And don't bother crying poverty. A lot of people were once poor grad students and we dealt with it. Go over to the undergrad dorm and pay someone $25 bucks to help you out.

PS: your sig is very much in violation of the guidelines.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

bstone  (op)
Baninated
Sep 7, 2004, 11:06 PM

Originally posted by Captain Obvious:
If you were a chick you'd have a line of guys who would help. But since you are a guy and apparently have no friends in Boston you are SOL. Hire someone like everybody else who needs help moving. And don't bother crying poverty. A lot of people were once poor grad students and we dealt with it. Go over to the undergrad dorm and pay someone $25 bucks to help you out.

PS: your sig is very much in violation of the guidelines.
Mr Obvious,
As I wrote, I am more than happy to pay someone a few bucks to help me out in the moving. Reading my post makes that obvious. I have two back injuries which put me on disability so I am trying to find someone on these boards who lives in the area and might want to make a few bucks.

Both these things are obvious by a basic, 1st grader reading of English. They are, as your nick says, obvious.

P.S. How does a 4 line, text only sig qualify as "very much in violation of the guidlines"?

Professional Poster
Sep 7, 2004, 11:16 PM

- 4 lines of text maximum for a text only signature. this includes blank lines between text"
In a full screen Sarafi window at 1024 x 768 resolution this text:
"Sawtooth G4 800mhz (QS 2002 proc), ATI Radeon 8500 128mb, 1.5GB RAM, 120gig HD 7200rpm 8mb buffer on Sonnet Tempo ATA133, PCI 802.11g wireless"

Takes up two lines. Add the subsequent line of text that is equally as long plus your two blank lines and your sig occupies a total of 8 lines.

Anyway, stop being a dumbass and go find someone at your school to help you. If you can't make friends the first week of classes then finding someone to help you pick up your desk is the least of your problems.

bstone  (op)
Baninated
Sep 7, 2004, 11:20 PM

I'm trying to figure out if this sort of abuse is what one can expect the MacNN moderators to tolerate, espically from someone asking for help. Espically when that person is on disability and has major back injuries.

Professional Poster
Sep 7, 2004, 11:24 PM

Here you're gonna need this

bstone  (op)
Baninated
Sep 7, 2004, 11:25 PM

Originally posted by Captain Obvious:
In a full screen Sarafi window at 1024 x 768 resolution this text:
"Sawtooth G4 800mhz (QS 2002 proc), ATI Radeon 8500 128mb, 1.5GB RAM, 120gig HD 7200rpm 8mb buffer on Sonnet Tempo ATA133, PCI 802.11g wireless"

Takes up two lines. Add the subsequent line of text that is equally as long plus your two blank lines and your sig occupies a total of 8 lines.
Captain Obvious= cop of MacNN? who would have thunk!

Administrator
Sep 7, 2004, 11:29 PM

Captain, stop being such an ass. He asked for help, your "pick yourself up by the bootstraps, get some damned friends and stop your whining" routine is neither helpful nor necessary. Just don't post next time you have the inkling to do it again.

Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2004, 11:51 PM

Originally posted by bstone:
I'm trying to figure out if this sort of abuse is what one can expect the MacNN moderators to tolerate, espically from someone asking for help. Espically when that person is on disability and has major back injuries.
You've been here since 2000, I think we both know how things go around here. An lets face it: no one cares if you have a bad back. Thats a lot of lifting. But if you are actually moving just hire a mover like everyone else, don't go looking for some sucker to do it for a few bucks.

Addicted to MacNN
Sep 8, 2004, 12:14 AM

I used to live in Cambridge. Good luck with school.

Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2004, 12:28 AM

what happened to your back?

bstone  (op)
Baninated
Sep 8, 2004, 12:30 AM

Originally posted by rozwado1:
what happened to your back?
Injured at work during lifts. Even used the "right" methods of lifting with legs, not back, etc but all that hunching over and heavy people really ruined it. I get PT, chiropractic and work out regularly to make myself stronger.

Professional Poster
Sep 8, 2004, 01:12 AM

refua shlama on the back bstone, I know how it is working in Chicago.

If you still need someone call me and I will give you some names.

Forum Links
Forum Rules