Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Who's jumping ship?

View Poll Results: Leaving the platform?
Poll Options:
I'm leaving (I want a freaking stable platform!!!!) 45 votes (8.51%)
I'm sticking with Apple 484 votes (91.49%)
Voters: 529. You may not vote on this poll
Who's jumping ship?
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2005, 05:00 PM

Time to leave? Maybe you hate x86? Maybe you just want a stable platform? Maybe you love OS X so much you'll buy whatever hardware runs it?
Caffeinated Rhino Software -- Education and Training management software

Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2005, 05:03 PM

Iceberg ahead!

I'll only jump ship if Intel and Apple agree to paste big, obnoxious, and very ugly "Intel Inside" stickers on every new Mac...

Forum Regular
Jun 6, 2005, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by jcadam
Time to leave? Maybe you hate x86? Maybe you just want a stable platform? Maybe you love OS X so much you'll buy whatever hardware runs it?

Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2005, 05:04 PM

It would be stupid to leave. Most of us are here for the OS. We lived through Motorola, we lived through IBM, and we'll live through Intel.
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2005, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by ManOfSteal
Iceberg ahead!

I'll only jump ship if Intel and Apple agree to paste big, obnoxious, and very ugly "Intel Inside" stickers on every new Mac...
hopefully Ives took a stand on this one.

I'll stick around, i tend to have faith in Apple doing the right thing.

Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2005, 05:08 PM

Of course I plan to stay with Apple. There is no other real alternative. Apple is the best hands down.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Clinically Insane
Jun 6, 2005, 05:09 PM

I'm out.

OSX is good, but it's not good enough to justify the Apple tax all by itself. The superior hardware was what truly justified the price before now, and without it I may as well go with the next best thing: Linux/Intel. Hell; there are a few other PowerPC vendors out there; maybe I'll check them out with Linux/PpwerPC.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Posting Junkie
Jun 6, 2005, 05:10 PM

I plan to wait to see what's on offer when the time comes. If not to my liking, I'll get the best PM and PB available and hold out for as long as I can.
Until then, I'll hold off on predictions of doom.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Mac Enthusiast
Jun 6, 2005, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Stradlater
It would be stupid to leave. Most of us are here for the OS. We lived through Motorola, we lived through IBM, and we'll live through Intel.
Couldn't have said it better myself!

Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jun 6, 2005, 05:13 PM

Jumping ship? To what, x86?

Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2005, 05:17 PM

I really ought to buy a Windows PC to run Pro Engineer, that I use on my course.

The Intel thing is interesting if someone creates a WINE like product (DarWINE are mostly there aren't they?) that could run high end Windows apps - but I'm thinking the graphics card side of things would be crummy.

This stops me wanting to buy a new Mac for a while though, although a very cheap G5 might change my mind

Jun 6, 2005, 05:19 PM

Bye to all jumping ship. (you'll be back.)

Posting Junkie
Jun 6, 2005, 05:21 PM

As long as the mac offers the best user experience out there, I'll stick with it. I don't really care what hardware it runs on so long as it does what I want it to do in a reasonable way.

If, however, this switch allows Mac-on-Linux to work on any old x86 machine, I might have to just build my own PC and go with Linux and Mac-on-Linux (once my dual-2 GHz G5 is out-dated, anyway).

Posting Junkie
Jun 6, 2005, 05:22 PM

Today: Mac fan boys considers suicide. "Apple is dead. Woe is me." (Gnashing of teeth, rendering of garments).

June 2007: Mac fan boys: : "This new Powerbook rocks. I love Apple. Praise be to Steve Jobs. Ohh, Leopard is so cool."

Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2005, 05:22 PM

Staying put, I'm here for the Mac OS, not the processor that runs it. Just have to decide whether to stay with my powermac, keep in 'til IntelMac, or go for a Mac mini in the meantime.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Baninated
Jun 6, 2005, 05:24 PM

To those who are leaving, well goodbye ! Freedom of choice and all, ya know ?

Whatcha gonna do ? Run XP ? Run linux ? On what, a machine that uses the same processor as the one who are abandoning ?

As for myself, the only way I'd leave is if I hear those 4 intel notes, instead of the Apple chime, when I fire up a new Mac.

Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2005, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Millennium
I'm out.

OSX is good, but it's not good enough to justify the Apple tax all by itself. The superior hardware was what truly justified the price before now, and without it I may as well go with the next best thing: Linux/Intel. Hell; there are a few other PowerPC vendors out there; maybe I'll check them out with Linux/PpwerPC.
can you still moderate here then? You'll be an "other" going against the gospel of Steve.

Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2005, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Randman
Today: Mac fan boys considers suicide. "Apple is dead. Woe is me." (Gnashing of teeth, rendering of garments).

June 2007: Mac fan boys: : "This new Powerbook rocks. I love Apple. Praise be to Steve Jobs. Ohh, Leopard is so cool."

jcadam  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2005, 05:28 PM

meh, anyone who knows anything about computer architecture knows how horrible of an ISA x86 is. It is old (nearly the oldest ISA out there for microprocessors), it is antiquated. PowerPC and most other modern ISAs have been designed with the benefits of lessons learned and new design techniques devloped from experience with the first generation ISAs (like x86).

I'll be platform shopping. My current investment in my PM G5 will keep me with Apple for at least another year. Since I still want to run UNIX, maybe a nice SUN workstation would foot the bill?
Caffeinated Rhino Software -- Education and Training management software

Posting Junkie

I'm out.

I may as well go with the next best thing: Linux/Intel.
Yes, that'll be so much better than OSX/Intel.

Addicted to MacNN

Originally Posted by PacHead
Whatcha gonna do ? Run XP ? Run linux ? On what, a machine that uses the same processor as the one who are abandoning ?
Exactly.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN

i'm loving my 15" powerbook, and my 17" imac because they run os X. where os X is, that's where i'll be.

i'm sticking around.

Forum Regular
Jun 6, 2005, 05:30 PM

I'm out.

Your OS X experience won't change at all with an intel cpu. Apple's hardware was pretty good, but it wasn't "superior". Apple probably expects Intel to blow past IBM in the next couple of years... IBM's innovation (when it comes to CPUs) has really been slowing down lately....

Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2005, 05:31 PM

Well, I already have a Mac and a Wintel machine. Given that the OS X is what does it for me, come 2007 I'll also have a MacTel machine

Originally Posted by ManOfSteal
I'm sure it'll be the regular 1" by 3/4" "Intel Inside" sticker.
Yes, that'll be so much better than OSX/Intel.
If Apple hardware prices don't change, Linux/Intel will be a lot cheaper.

Senior User
Jun 6, 2005, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by PacHead
As for myself, the only way I'd leave is if I hear those 4 intel notes, instead of the Apple chime, when I fire up a new Mac.

Well said.
-Emily

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
Abraham Lincoln

Forum Regular
Jun 6, 2005, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by jcadam
meh, anyone who knows anything about computer architecture knows how horrible of an ISA x86 is. It is old (nearly the oldest ISA out there for microprocessors), it is antiquated. PowerPC and most other modern ISAs have been designed with the benefits of lessons learned and new design techniques devloped from experience with the first generation ISAs (like x86).

I'll be platform shopping. My current investment in my PM G5 will keep me with Apple for at least another year. Since I still want to run UNIX, maybe a nice SUN workstation would foot the bill?
You're on crack if you pick your computer by the architecture, when they're all within a few percent of each other in terms of performance. The operating system is 95% of your experience.

I'm typing this on a G3/400 iMac... and I have an athlon 3000 sitting beside it that I haven't used in a month.

Clinically Insane
Jun 6, 2005, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by brapper
can you still moderate here then? You'll be an "other" going against the gospel of Steve.
I've already resigned my moderatorship from Developer Center for that reason. I'll stay on for Web Developer -and possibly other platform-agnostic forums, such as Networking- if the staff doesn't object, but otherwise I'll resign those too. You're right; it would be hypocritical to moderate in a forum dedicated to a platform that I cannot in good conscience recommend anymore.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2005, 05:36 PM

( Last edited by sideus; Jun 7, 2005 at 03:41 PM. )

Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2005, 05:38 PM

I ain't jumping. I imagine the next two years being a bit rough in the sales department, but when those DP kagillion ghz Intels start shipping with OS X we'll finally see some decent frame rates in Doom3 + everything else. It would be beneficial for Apple to also price these desk rockets low enough to be a consumer no-brainer. OS X is amazing, but needs a lot of power to properly enjoy.

The transition is going to be painful to some, and it sure raises a lot of questions with regard to people's investments in current hardware/software. This won't be like transitioning from OS 9 to OSX, not even close. Too many questions...must have drink.

Posting Junkie
Jun 6, 2005, 05:38 PM

I've already resigned my moderatorship from Developer Center for that reason. I'll stay on for Web Developer -and possibly other platform-agnostic forums, such as Networking- if the staff doesn't object, but otherwise I'll resign those too. You're right; it would be hypocritical to moderate in a forum dedicated to a platform that I cannot in good conscience recommend anymore.
That's too bad. Just hope you don't change your mind after the initial shock wears off and you begin to see that OSX and Apple aren't going to change much.

Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2005, 05:40 PM

so much drama. there is no alternative to the mac. you switch to linux, and we'll see you when you start trying to get stuff to work. switch to windows, and good luck. if they keep the same standard of hardware/software integration, and can make the transition smooth enough, I'm happy. I have a dual 2.0 that will last me at least 2 more years. by then it will be clear if the Intel thing is going to work out or not, and we'll see what happens.

When they have garageband, itunes, and photoshop on Linux, I'll think about it.

Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2005, 05:40 PM

Well I guess we all better jump ship and buy Dell...gimmie a break, if you support OS X the processor shouldn't matter. As long a the 64bit Intel chip runs the software and system I say go for it. This was not a hostil buy out or threat. Steve Jobs planned this since OS X v.0. Relax and this is not the switch to the Dark Side. If IBM would do their job and make a fast chip Steve wouldnt protect his company like this.

So does this mean i can run XP or Longhorn on my PowerMac or run OS X on a Dell?
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2005, 05:41 PM

I'm not jumping ship, but I have this sickening feeling in my stomach. You know that feeling that you get when you hear bittersweet news. This is what I see myself and many of the Mac faithfuls go through for the next 2 years:

Shocked > Sad > Uncertain > Hopeful > Calm > Happy > Excited.

Right now, I'm still SHOCKED.

Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2005, 05:42 PM

Drama Queens I tells ya. I bet less then 2% of people who say they are jumping ship actually will.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2005, 05:42 PM

I'm out.

Well, hasn't it been established by now that Intel's stuff will be better than IBM's? If they were to stick with PowerPC, we would all have inferior hardware down the road. Now we're getting machines that are even more standards conformed and as fast as Macs could possibly be. The only reason to leave would be if you have some nostalgic tie to IBM/Motorola/PowerPC.

Posting Junkie
Jun 6, 2005, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker
Drama Queens I tells ya. I bet less then 2% of people who say they are jumping ship actually will.
Again, I agree with you.

Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2005, 05:47 PM

Heh, Millennium sure has a bug up his arse over this, doesn't he? The CPU will not change the "platform" in that the Mac OS will not change in any way other than normal development -- like we just went through with Tiger. How idiotic to "abandon" the Mac because it will be running off a superior Intel processor.

I'm a fan of IBM hard drives, so I guess I should have jumped ship when my Mac came with a Western Digital.

Let the drama begin...

"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Posting Junkie
Jun 6, 2005, 05:49 PM

Edit: It's not as funny not in all caps. Never mind.

Jun 6, 2005, 05:50 PM

Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2005, 05:52 PM

I was kinda kidding. I think you do a good job here, but yeah you'll no longer be a Mac guy.

Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2005, 05:53 PM

damn the flooded forums!

Clinically Insane
Jun 6, 2005, 06:00 PM

I am SO switching! I hate x86! It's sure a good thing that every viable competitor Apple has isn't also primarily targeted at x86. Otherwise it would be just stupid for me to reject Apple for a trait that all the competition shares.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2005, 06:03 PM

I've been using Macs since the original 128k. In my life I have used everything from a TRS-80 to serious DEC iron, and have used or dabbled with every OS from Apple DOS to all variations of Windows, many Unix variants, almost all Mac OSes since 1.0, several variations of NeXTStep, Dos, etc. In all that time my two favorite OSes were NeXTStep and OS X. Nothing else comes close to the combination of power and ease of use. I ain't going anywhere.

I also remember when Apple dropped the 68k and went to PPC. We were assured it was the end of Apple – the company would be dead within three years. . .

Posting Junkie
Jun 6, 2005, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
I am SO switching!
To what? Are you going to join Millennium with an XBox360 just cuz it's PPC?

Clinically Insane
Jun 6, 2005, 06:05 PM

OSX is good, but it's not good enough to justify the Apple tax all by itself. The superior hardware was what truly justified the price before now, and without it I may as well go with the next best thing: Linux/Intel.
You haven't even seen Apple's new hardware, Millennium. What are you talking about?
Chuck
___

Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2005, 06:05 PM

It doesn't bother me as long as OS X is OS X, and Apple hardware is secure and hassle free as always. Looks like it'll be a smooth transition anyways. PLus I could use some good frame rates in Doom anyways, and a cheaper Powerbook as well.

Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2005, 06:12 PM

What the **** choice does Apple have?!! I mean over a YEAR ago I started that thread saying IBM was just as bad a motorola. I mean they don't have a G5 laptop, the Current G5's need liquid cooling and the 3Ghz Steve promomised over a year ago still isn't hear.

Would you be happier at 2.7 GHz and G4 Powerbooks forever?

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Clinically Insane
Jun 6, 2005, 06:13 PM

To what? Are you going to join Millennium with an XBox360 just cuz it's PPC?

Should I have added a [/sarcasm]?
Chuck
___

Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jun 6, 2005, 06:14 PM

Love your new sig:

Senior User
Jun 6, 2005, 06:17 PM

Amazingly enough, I agree with you.

Forum Links
Forum Rules