Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > I Think I Hate Bowflex...

I Think I Hate Bowflex...
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2005, 05:37 AM

OK so... as a lot of you know... I've been working out for a while and junk... and I've lost a lot of weight, and more over a lot of fat! And I'm pretty proud of that fact and what not. But... honestly, all these home gyms and treadmills and junk that are pushed on TV... really frustrate me. They take good looking people, who are generally ripped beyond what you could possibly even get on their product, and present them as something people should expect to become.
That said, you're not going to loose that much fat with a bowflex, you're going to gain muscle sure... but... without cardio and stuff people are just going to be throwing down thousands of dollars for something they probably won't use much or will just drive them deeper into frustration.
As a former quite fat person, and now as a significantly less fat person I can say I'm really sick of companies pushing products like this without actually providing anything that is going to help people who really don't want to be the way they are.
Even in gym class and stuff like that in school... they'll go through all this crap and they'll teach kids how to play sports and junk and they expect that that is going to help. I don't think I heard once in school that I should be taking a multi vitamin. And the stupid food pyramid is still pushed up here...
I actually can say probably the only real reason I've lost any weight is because a friend this September took me to a gym near our school and didn't realize that a 15 minutes on an elliptical was killer for someone who's never done real physical activity. But honestly, I would have had no idea how to do any of the things at the gym if I hadn't have had someone to show me what to do until I felt comfortable enough to realize that all the machines had diagrams on them. So yah... I've kind of decided I hate a good chunk of the "fitness industry".
Though I have decided that in the future I'm going to encourage every person I know who isn't in good health to eat better, take supplements that actually will help them, and figure out a gym plan that works for them.

But yah... I dono exactly where I'm going... but how exactly is it that even the basics of heathy living aren't simply common knowledge? And why is it even OK to make so much money off the ignorance of people?

Mac Enthusiast
Aug 2, 2005, 09:00 AM

i highly recommend plonking down the cash for at least one session with a professional trainer. ask your gym, they are not as expensive as you may think. not only will they help you design a custom cardio / strength program for you, but they should sort you out with your current health stats vs. short / mid / long-term goals. plus they'll also show you the 'proper' way to use all those funky machines. the diagrams don't tell you things like keep your head / back / etc. flat against this or that pad, lock your elbows 'here' on this or that machine, etc etc. a session every three or four months with the trainer is a wise investment. they'll chart your progress and assist in updating your regular routine to match it.

12" iBook 1.2ghz / 1.2gb

Posting Junkie
Aug 2, 2005, 11:35 AM

Christians don't hate. They turn the other cheek.

Hate is sin.

Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2005, 12:09 PM

I remember seeing a show on all the health infomercials and products. And its pretty obvious that they hire these actors and models to represent their products because that look good... not 'cause they use them. Penn and Teller also did a Bullsh!t episode on gyms and exercises (hm.. may have been the same program) and how the some of the supplements at the gyms can kill you.... how they are "perscribed" by folks who are not Doctors or nutritionists and have no business recommending supplements to their clients.

Having said that... the bowflex chics have SUUCH damn hot bodies.

Baninated
Aug 2, 2005, 12:13 PM

I thought it was common knowledge..... do some something low impact but for an extended period of time like aerobics or running to burn up fat.... . and strain on heavy things to build muscle... and do repeated liftings of moderate weigth to build tone.

Also, losing weight is as simple as expending more calories than you consume. It's not flashy so it can't become a diet fad, but that's the way it's always been.

Addicted to MacNN
Aug 2, 2005, 12:17 PM

I hired a personal trainer for the next 3 months. Quite expensive, but he's kicking my a$$. (Just what I needed). He only let's me come to the gym at 5 or 6AM. (He wants to make sure i get up early). <-- I normally don't go to bed that early. <GRIN>

Anyway: Worth it for now. (Ask me in 3 months ... if I live that long)
- MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.3Ghz / 256SSD (Work laptop)
- iMac 3.2Ghz 1TB

Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2005, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Salty
That said, you're not going to loose that much fat with a bowflex, you're going to gain muscle sure... but... without cardio and stuff people are just going to be throwing down thousands of dollars for something they probably won't use much or will just drive them deeper into frustration.
duh

http://forums.macnn.com/89/macnn-lounge/177893/how-does-one-get-abs-steel/#post1595810

Even in gym class and stuff like that in school... they'll go through all this crap and they'll teach kids how to play sports and junk and they expect that that is going to help. I don't think I heard once in school that I should be taking a multi vitamin. And the stupid food pyramid is still pushed up here...
Sports do help. Being active in any way helps. The food pyramid is a basic framework for getting the point across that a balanced diet is the path to a healthier body. It is not meant to teach every person how to lose weight. If that is your goal you need to invest more time into it than just what the school has the resources to teach. And a multi vitamin doesn't hurt but it is not a miracle pill. In fact many of the vitamins are not even properly absorbed by the body. A balanced diet is far more important that taking any sort of pill.

Supplements should only be used in later stages of an exercise program. They should not be taken by people just starting out and they should not be taken with the expectation that will make miracles happen.
But yah... I dono exactly where I'm going... but how exactly is it that even the basics of heathy living aren't simply common knowledge? And why is it even OK to make so much money off the ignorance of people?
Because those people are lazy and want to hear that there are short cuts in life. It is their own fault they got that big and now those same people do not want to pay the price of their sloth by putting in the effort to repair the damage they have done. Therefore they are drawn to gimmicks that promise the most result with the least effort involved.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

Clinically Insane
Aug 2, 2005, 12:33 PM

Well worth a read: http://www.exrx.net/
(be careful - it's like the Tardis, you'll get lost in there)
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2005, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by analogika

Hate is sin.
Cheeky.

In toadys society we love a shampoo and hate a movie. Love and hate just aren't what they used to be.

cheers

W-Y

“Building Better Worlds”

Clinically Insane
Aug 2, 2005, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Weyland-Yutani
Cheeky.

In toadys society we love a shampoo and hate a movie. Love and hate just aren't what they used to be.

cheers

W-Y
He's not being cheeky, he's just being a d***. Like SWF, he really can't help himself.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Administrator
Aug 2, 2005, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by suvsr4terrorists
I thought it was common knowledge..... do some something low impact but for an extended period of time like aerobics or running to burn up fat.... . and strain on heavy things to build muscle... and do repeated liftings of moderate weigth to build tone.

Also, losing weight is as simple as expending more calories than you consume. It's not flashy so it can't become a diet fad, but that's the way it's always been.
It should be common knowledge, but so many diet and exercise "gurus" come out with "new breakthroughs" that a lot of people begin to believe that there is actually something mroe than aerobic exercise for fat burning (and cardiovascular conditioning) and weight training for muscle building. There are indeed new things being discovered, but they tend to be details on how the metabolism works or how muscles "learn" from workouts. For example, a relatively "new" finding is that it really is better to mix up your workouts so that you don't even necessarily do the same muscle groups in the same order; the body seems to notice these regular patterns and "plateaus" more easily when you do your workouts in the same order. The same is true for aerobic exercises, by the way-mix it up, run/bike/swim then walk HARD to keep things lively.

Losing weight can be abstracted to "expending more calories than you consume," but there is a bit more to it than that, which is why normally smart people seem to go with the "gurus." You have to consistently, and over an extended period of time expend more than you consume for the effect to work. Consistency is crucial, because it takes the body a while to discover the caloric imbalance. Further, you mustn't suddenly or extremely reduce your caloric intake, because we're built to handle sudden and serious famines; cut back gradually, but consistently. And don't kill yourself with additional exercise-build that up gradually too.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2005, 02:24 PM

Hate is sin.

Actually hate in of itself is not a sin.

We (Christians) are also supposed to hate certain things.
Wickedness,
evil
Sin

I can give the Bible passages if you wish that support this.

Mike

Baninated
Aug 2, 2005, 02:26 PM

Hate is sin.
Is there a need for this silliness really?

Baninated
Aug 2, 2005, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Maflynn
Actually hate in of itself is not a sin.

We (Christians) are also supposed to hate certain things.
Wickedness,
evil
Sin
Actually they hate a lot of things in the 'good book'.

http://www.blueletterbible.org/tmp_d...3579-3188.html

Forum Regular
Aug 2, 2005, 02:50 PM

Well, don't just blame Bowflex. Blame just about any advertiser. Geez, just look at fast food ads or visit a fast food establishment. The food you will get looks nothing like the beautiful, huge, juicy item that is pictured!

I believe the only realistic ad is one by Curves. They use real women -- not supermodels.

True story: I was eating in a Taco Bell once. A guy came in and placed an order. After he received his order, he walked back to the counter with item in hand. He then started yelling at the counter-person that the item was not as pictured. He wanted what was displayed on the signage, after all.

At the time, I thought he was being stupid. I mean, after all, who expects their fast food to look anything like what is pictured. After a while, though, I realized that he had a valid complaint. He paid for it, and he wanted the product as advertised. Oh, yeah: they did end up making one that looked like it did in the picture.
( Last edited by outsourced; Aug 2, 2005 at 02:59 PM. Reason: adding a true story)
Did Schroedinger's cat think outside the box?

Posting Junkie
Aug 2, 2005, 02:55 PM

I can't help myself ...
I am the doughnut that you hold up
And I never sold up in a pie,
The hoot boot's so fly,
I always try to beat the rest to impress,
I put my tongue in your trouser press,
I got the toots baby you got the fruits,
Fruit got the loot lady you got the boots,
Don't be a mook don't get the spook,
Don't be a cry baby I only said maybe,
Shmoozin
I was perusing
when like a catapult,
I did a somersault,
Going down the lazy river,
three fingers deliver,
I can't help myself...,
The reverb you just heard is resounding in the surrounding area,
It's getting scarier I've got the amp damp mangled,
got my tingle in tangle let me see what I can wangle,
In the bermuda triangle,
Gravity will be the death of me,
Terminal velocity follow the follow the vapour,
One hundred purcent proof caper,
Burst the barricades but don't drink the lemonade,
Martinis by beard man an artisan down at the can can,
And oh yes he can can...
Fat Freddies cat in seven lead boots whiskey for the whiskers the shot sure shoots,
She sells sea shells on the sea shore,
Is it true what mummy said you can't come back no more,
Oh no no no no singing a song about nothing,
Talk through my bell buttoms,
At the inn of seventh happiness more or less,
I found you on the floor saying more more more,
Peel back the skin sonar beats like quaver,
Small bananas selected for flavour,
I can't help myself....

Baninated
Aug 2, 2005, 02:57 PM

Said to the music of "I'm pretty"

Posting Junkie
Aug 2, 2005, 03:01 PM

Do check out the first Moloko album.

It's ****ing brilliant.

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2005, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
It should be common knowledge, but so many diet and exercise "gurus" come out with "new breakthroughs" that a lot of people begin to believe that there is actually something mroe than aerobic exercise for fat burning (and cardiovascular conditioning) and weight training for muscle building. There are indeed new things being discovered, but they tend to be details on how the metabolism works or how muscles "learn" from workouts. For example, a relatively "new" finding is that it really is better to mix up your workouts so that you don't even necessarily do the same muscle groups in the same order; the body seems to notice these regular patterns and "plateaus" more easily when you do your workouts in the same order. The same is true for aerobic exercises, by the way-mix it up, run/bike/swim then walk HARD to keep things lively.

Losing weight can be abstracted to "expending more calories than you consume," but there is a bit more to it than that, which is why normally smart people seem to go with the "gurus." You have to consistently, and over an extended period of time expend more than you consume for the effect to work. Consistency is crucial, because it takes the body a while to discover the caloric imbalance. Further, you mustn't suddenly or extremely reduce your caloric intake, because we're built to handle sudden and serious famines; cut back gradually, but consistently. And don't kill yourself with additional exercise-build that up gradually too.
Agreed, and the problem is most fat people see those oh so aggravating skinny people who eat all kinds of crap and yet are still super thin. And you tend to wonder, what must they know that you don't. Turns out they know jack... but whatever. Not to mention when you're always bombarded with infomercials and crap... honestly it's easy to just get confused and stop thinking straight.
It's actually really frustrating to think about it how many years I was miserable simply because I didn't know any better.

That said, as the child of a fad dieter, I can honestly say most of them are not as lazy as people think. Sure they're out of shape so if you put em for a run they'll pass out, but they'll spend way to much time listening and trying to soak in what the next moron with an infomercial is saying. My mom has spent so much time and money on Atkins it's not even funny. And she's actually convinced it'll work well for her because she had some early good results that have since gone back. I actually told her I spent 70 bucks on some metabolism boosters, and she flipped out on me saying that she had some atkins crap that she thought could do the same thing. I ignored her mainly because I know Atkins doesn't seem to strongly enforce that you should be exercising while on the program.

Addicted to MacNN
Aug 2, 2005, 05:47 PM

Did the metabolism boosters work?
- iMac 3.2Ghz 1TB

Moderator Emeritus
Aug 2, 2005, 05:59 PM

I learned all about fitness in school. Don't they teach physical education any more?

Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2005, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Weyland-Yutani
Toadies?

The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2005, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by driven
Did the metabolism boosters work?
I've taken them for about a week and a half now, they're Rev XP ones. That said I hate the name, but they do give me a fair bit more energy I think, though it's hard to say after this short of a time. I do now notice the days that I don't take my multi though I feel slugish. I think I'd notice more if I went off them for a few days. But yah, they're pretty good I think. Talk to me at the end of august and I can tell you if they helped at all.

Administrator
Aug 2, 2005, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by AKcrab
I learned all about fitness in school. Don't they teach physical education any more?
Not in public school. There are so many ways to get out of Phys Ed it's not funny, and most PE classes seem to be all about "playing" and not learning-not even learning anything about any particular game. It's sad.

In some colleges it's better, but you have to go out of your way to get such classes-and you'll be surrounded by jocks and exercise physiology majors; out of shape people stick out like a sore thumb in such classes, so they don't sign up much.

Addicted to MacNN
Aug 2, 2005, 06:07 PM

I've taken them for about a week and a half now, they're Rev XP ones. That said I hate the name, but they do give me a fair bit more energy I think, though it's hard to say after this short of a time. I do now notice the days that I don't take my multi though I feel slugish. I think I'd notice more if I went off them for a few days. But yah, they're pretty good I think. Talk to me at the end of august and I can tell you if they helped at all.
Do you have a link?

My metabolism is crap. I work out 6 days a week and still struggle ....
(Pretty much anything is worth a try at this point.)
- iMac 3.2Ghz 1TB

Moderator Emeritus
Aug 2, 2005, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
Not in public school. There are so many ways to get out of Phys Ed it's not funny, and most PE classes seem to be all about "playing" and not learning-not even learning anything about any particular game. It's sad.
WTF? I think we've found the problem.

Administrator
Aug 2, 2005, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by AKcrab
WTF? I think we've found the problem.
"A" problem. Parents aren't helping; they grew up with the same kind of PE in school. And they certainly don't serve as role models for positive eating and exercising behaviors, either.

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2005, 06:16 PM

Do you have a link?

http://www.bodyworks-nutrition.com/rev-xp.html

Though you should just check out a local GNC. Also are you taking a multi vitamin? That is by far as far as I have seen the best thing to get you to feel good, have energy and get burning fat. As well how much cardio are you doing? I credit most of my fat loss to my/the gym's elliptical machine and my iPod.
The elliptical is great, it's a lot like running, but it's lower impact and you still work up a really good sweat. And if you have really up beat music for at the gym it can help. For some great fast paced music check out,

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/M...istId=54864345
http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/M...istId=15070125
http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/M...istId=18235784
and
http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/M...istId=18248940

Personally I NEED a big push from music to get me through a long work out. I've gone as much as 50 minutes straight on the elliptical when I have good music. Though consistently going up to 20-30 minutes is good. And always remember Cardio + Weights. Also I've found the mags left around the gym to be very helpful. I learned a lot from just reading "Men's Health" if you're already doing well they can actually be decently motivating.

Clinically Insane
Aug 2, 2005, 06:17 PM

Easy. Go veggie. Don't do soda and chocolate.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2005, 06:23 PM

While I'm not an advocate of vegetarianism. I will say CUT OUT COLA, or really any pop. I used five alive to ween myself off it, lots of sugar but not coke, now I barely drink the stuff either. Eventually you can get onto mainly water. And trust me if anyone should have been on coke till he was six feet under. People used to look at me funny at college when they'd see me pull up to the table with eggs, yogurt and three glasses of coke.

Clinically Insane
Aug 2, 2005, 07:53 PM

How true is it that the Atkins diet is quite dangerous? I've heard some well-respected nutritional experts advise to steer clear of it.

Posting Junkie
Aug 2, 2005, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c
How true is it that the Atkins diet is quite dangerous? I've heard some well-respected nutritional experts advise to steer clear of it.
A diet as imbalanced as the Atkins diet is can cause serious strain on your body. Over time it could probably lead to things like liver failure, but in the short term I'd say it's not too bad. However I'm not a doctor or nutritionist, so don't put too much faith in that.

Addicted to MacNN
Aug 2, 2005, 10:55 PM

http://www.bodyworks-nutrition.com/rev-xp.html

Though you should just check out a local GNC. Also are you taking a multi vitamin? That is by far as far as I have seen the best thing to get you to feel good, have energy and get burning fat. As well how much cardio are you doing? I credit most of my fat loss to my/the gym's elliptical machine and my iPod.
The elliptical is great, it's a lot like running, but it's lower impact and you still work up a really good sweat. And if you have really up beat music for at the gym it can help. For some great fast paced music check out,

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/M...istId=54864345
http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/M...istId=15070125
http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/M...istId=18235784
and
http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/M...istId=18248940

Personally I NEED a big push from music to get me through a long work out. I've gone as much as 50 minutes straight on the elliptical when I have good music. Though consistently going up to 20-30 minutes is good. And always remember Cardio + Weights. Also I've found the mags left around the gym to be very helpful. I learned a lot from just reading "Men's Health" if you're already doing well they can actually be decently motivating.

I currently do 30-40 minutes cardio plus weight training. I just hired a personal trainer for a few months. Let's see what he does as far as guidance. (Expensive!)

I've never paid much mind to vitamin. They always felt "scam" to me. But ... right now, I'll conceed that I may have been mistaken.

Music DOES help. I'd get bored silly in about 10 minutes without my iPod, much less 30 to 40 minutes. I've been running/walking/running/etc on the treadmill trying to keep my target heart rate above 170 - 180 bpm. (35 years old) We have eliptical machines but they look kinda intimidating. I'll dork with them one morning when nobody else is there. (Just in case I fall off or something.)
- iMac 3.2Ghz 1TB

Addicted to MacNN
Aug 2, 2005, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy
Easy. Go veggie. Don't do soda and chocolate.
Even Diet coke? <gasp>

How about coffee?
- iMac 3.2Ghz 1TB

Administrator
Aug 2, 2005, 11:00 PM

Anything that includes refined sugar is a bad thing if you're trying to regulate your metabolism. Caffiene is also a problem, because it affects metabolic rate even if you don't notice it. Of course giving up caffiene cold turkey is a Bad Thing, so cut down quickly but gradually when you decide to "clean yourself out."

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2005, 11:46 PM

Unless you're eating exclusively health food you're probably lacking in at least a few of the areas a multi vitamin would help. I use the "Mega Men's Vitamins" from GNC, they're big green things, and they make my urin a kinda florescent yellow colour. Haha, by the way don't bother with GNC's "Cuts" metabolism boostery things... they're crap and I ate nearly a bottle of the things over a month period... they don't do much.

Baninated
Aug 3, 2005, 01:39 AM

Don't get one a day vitamens. They don't digest in your stomach, and instead pass through. But yeah. Soda is bad. If you want something sugary, drink WATERED DOWN juice. Real juice, not sweetened crap.

Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Aug 3, 2005, 01:47 AM

Actually all vitamins for the most part are crap. If you can eat right, the best way to derive your vitamins is from food.

Juices are fantastic for you, especially pomegranit (sp) juice. It's amazing for you.

Apple / Cranberry combo is great for your kidneys, and I recommend more than vitamins, a good portein suppliment, if you are going to be cutting calories. Your body craves protein post workout, so feed it.

Whey and Casine Protein mix is the best.

Baninated
Aug 3, 2005, 01:51 AM

Juice still has a lot of sugar in it..... it'll make you fat unless you're active. Sugar gets converted to fat fairly easily.

Mac Enthusiast
Aug 3, 2005, 01:53 AM

Music DOES help. I'd get bored silly in about 10 minutes without my iPod, much less 30 to 40 minutes. I've been running/walking/running/etc on the treadmill trying to keep my target heart rate above 170 - 180 bpm. (35 years old) We have eliptical machines but they look kinda intimidating. I'll dork with them one morning when nobody else is there. (Just in case I fall off or something.)
30 - 40 minutes above 170 bpm @ 35 years old!?!?!? that's borderline dangerous AFAIK. i'm 32 years old, 6'2", 184 lbs / 186cm, 84kg. pretty fit guy. i do 20 - 25 minutes of 'peek' cardio on the bike, with ipod mini, about 4x / wk. two minutes intense effort, two minutes cool down, repeat, repeat, repeat...
bpm @ intense ranges 160 - 175
bpm @ cool down ranges 120 - 135.
for me it is unthinkable that you go balls out for 30 to 40 minutes above 170 - 180 bpm. my heart would just explode. are you that fit?

eliptical machines are cool, btw. easy to get the hang of, and no impact, even less than the bike.

12" iBook 1.2ghz / 1.2gb

Clinically Insane
Aug 3, 2005, 02:23 AM

Have you guys seen "Super Size Me?"

Any comments?

Baninated
Aug 3, 2005, 02:23 AM

My God, don't spread nonsense if you don't know what you are talking about.

The sugar in real juice is just fine as the good of the juice you are drinking outweighs that of the sugar.
Caffeine by the way is better for you in small amounts, (Espresso) Due to the steaming process.

Ergogenic Effects of Caffeine to Performance

In addition to various psychological and physiological benefits, numerous studies have documented caffeine’s ergogenic effect on athletic performance, particularly in regard to endurance. Studies show that caffeine ingestion prior to exercising extended endurance in moderately strenuous aerobic activity. Other studies researching caffeine consumption on elite distance runners and distance swimmers show increased performance times following caffeine consumption.

Despite effects on endurance, caffeine produced no effect on maximal muscular force in a study measuring voluntary and electrically stimulated muscle actions. However, the same study did show findings that suggest caffeine has an ergogenic effect on muscle during repetitive, low frequency stimulation.

Caffeine’s positive performance-enhancing effects have been well documented. So much so that the International Olympic Committee placed a ban leading to disqualification for an athlete with urinary limits exceeding 12 mg/mL. Roughly 600 to 800mg of caffeine, or 4 to 7 cups of coffee, consumed over a 30-minute period would be enough to exceed this level and cause disqualification. The National Collegiate Athletic Association has a similar limit, set at 15 mg/mL.

Coffee: A Pre-Workout Drink?

Before you make Starbucks part of your pre-workout warm-up in order to harness the effects of caffeine, be aware that simply downing a grande may not give you similar benefits found in these studies. A recent Canadian study published in the Journal of Applied Physiology compared the effect of coffee and caffeine on run time to exhaustion. A group of nine men took part in five trials. Sixty minutes before each run, the men took one of the following:

A placebo
Caffeine capsules
De-caffeinated coffee with caffeine added
Regular coffee
Performance times were up to 10 times longer in subjects using the caffeine capsules, with no differences in times among the other trials. Since the level of caffeine absorption was similar during the caffeine trials, researchers concluded something in the coffee itself that interferes with caffeine’s performance-enhancing effects. This makes sense considering that there are literally hundreds of compounds dissolved when coffee beans are roasted, ground and extracted. Results of this research suggest that if benefits of caffeine on endurance times are desired, caffeine capsules work better than coffee.

Caffeine and Creatine Supplementation

Although caffeine has been shown to increase endurance time, further research shows it may actually blunt the effect of creatine, a popular and well-researched compound known for its consistent ergogenic effects. In a study evaluating the effect of pre-exercise caffeine ingestion on both creatine stores and high-intensity exercise performance, caffeine totally counteracted any effects of creatine supplementation. It was suggested that individuals who creatine load should refrain from caffeine-containing foods and beverages if positive effects are desired.

Addicted to MacNN
Aug 3, 2005, 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by Ji Eun
30 - 40 minutes above 170 bpm @ 35 years old!?!?!? that's borderline dangerous AFAIK. i'm 32 years old, 6'2", 184 lbs / 186cm, 84kg. pretty fit guy. i do 20 - 25 minutes of 'peek' cardio on the bike, with ipod mini, about 4x / wk. two minutes intense effort, two minutes cool down, repeat, repeat, repeat...
bpm @ intense ranges 160 - 175
bpm @ cool down ranges 120 - 135.
for me it is unthinkable that you go balls out for 30 to 40 minutes above 170 - 180 bpm. my heart would just explode. are you that fit?

eliptical machines are cool, btw. easy to get the hang of, and no impact, even less than the bike.
It's exhausting, but I don't think I'm that fit. I used to do martial arts (Black belt) and when I was yonger I'd do pretty intense biking and mountain climbing (and before that weight-lifting) so I'm not new to the exercise thing.

That said: I'm way out of shape now (I think). According to the BMI I'm bordering on obese. (5'7" at 185 lbs).

So ... I'm trying to lose 40 lbs now ... that should get my BMI back into the "normal" range. :-)
- iMac 3.2Ghz 1TB

Mac Enthusiast
Aug 3, 2005, 04:50 AM

yeah man, but what's your fat mass? the BMI can be totally deceptive if you've got a lot of muscle. still, that heartrate is amazing to me.

12" iBook 1.2ghz / 1.2gb

Baninated
Aug 3, 2005, 04:57 AM

Believe it or not, your metabolism increases by eating citric acid. Don't go run out and buy a bunch of lemons or limes, or even oranges. It's not that noticeable, but it does.

Also, your metabolic rate slows over time and aging, but that doesn't mean you can't reverse that effect. It takes time and with the metabolism, it is a marathon, not a sprint, so there is no get thin quck answers for the long run. (no pun intended) You have to workout consistently over time, and your MR will increase. Food choice has a litte effect, but if you are going to put so much effort to workout, why not put the best into your body. High Grade Foods.

Workout within this range for your HR: Between 70 and 80 percent of your MAX HR.
This is easily figured out by a nice chart or graph... but I'd rather use the tried and true method.

If you can carry on a conversation while working out. Meaning, you can speak without losing breath, then you are working out in your target heart rate. Each of us is different. It will increase over time, so then you'll notice that the workload you can manage on a treadmill for instance is greater.

Addicted to MacNN
Aug 3, 2005, 09:49 AM

Apparently my HR amazed my trainer also. After this conversation (here) I mentioned to him what my HR was and he basically told me that it's dangerous and NOT beneficial. (Go figure!) He told me calculate 220 - (age) and you are at your maximum heart rate. For me that's 185. So, going by budster my target should be between 130 and 148. The problem now is that even with a modest jog my HR goes to 155. Not sure if this is a problem yet .... but I'm modifying my cardio workouts.
- iMac 3.2Ghz 1TB

Administrator
Aug 3, 2005, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by budster101
Believe it or not, your metabolism increases by eating citric acid. Don't go run out and buy a bunch of lemons or limes, or even oranges. It's not that noticeable, but it does.
I notice a serious change when I eat grapefruit. A grapefruit, all by itself, can make me burn calories (and crash my blood sugar) very quickly. The effect lasts for as much as several hours, and seems to be directly related to the size of the grapefruit. It's an interesting effect. It is, however, uncomfortable if I go too far and drop my blood sugar too quickly. I must be very cautious about it.

Food choice has a litte effect, but if you are going to put so much effort to workout, why not put the best into your body. High Grade Foods.
Well said. Good quality foods, low in processed materials like bleached flour and processed sugar, are going to be more easily digested with less residuals. Look for foods whose list of ingredients reads like a list of food, not chemicals.

If you can carry on a conversation while working out. Meaning, you can speak without losing breath, then you are working out in your target heart rate. Each of us is different. It will increase over time, so then you'll notice that the workload you can manage on a treadmill for instance is greater.
A lot of people don't think they're working out at all if they're not out of breath. I personally like to push a little, so that I'm fairly close to the edge of "out of breath" when I'm working out just because that's where my rhythm puts me. And when I bike on the street, I am pushing HARD, so I want to be breathing hard and deep (but that has a lot to do with managing traffic, too!).

Senior User
Aug 3, 2005, 11:02 AM

You should consider reading Mike Mentzer's Muscles in Minutes.

http://www.mikementzer.com/
"Sing you fools ! But you got it wrong..."

Mac Enthusiast
Aug 3, 2005, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c
Have you guys seen "Super Size Me?"

Any comments?
Made me crave a hamburger and french fries even more.

Clinically Insane
Aug 3, 2005, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by OogaBooga
Made me crave a hamburger and french fries even more.
I eat fast food very seldom, but I'm sure it will make me think twice about my next trip to a fast food joint... except for Subway.

Is Subway actually much better than the other fast food restaurants, am I just holding on to an irrational belief?

Forum Links
Forum Rules