Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > New to MAC -- PBG4 15 -- Now what!

New to MAC -- PBG4 15 -- Now what!
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 20, 2005, 09:41 AM

Hello people! I'm a windows junky gone apple. Only a few hours ago I ordered a PB G4 15 with 1G RAM, 100G HD, and a 128M video card.

I would have liked to wait a few months to see how the "next gen" powerbook would pan out (if ever) but I just couldn't wait. I'm headed to Iraq (US military thing) in a couple weeks and I needed to take a notebook to accompany my Nikon D70. I am planing on taking a l o t of pictures.

I am clueless about apple so I didn't get any *software other than what comes standard on the 15; I did order a copy of Photoshop CS2 though; can't have a D70 without CS2.

What else do I need? What software packages are must haves? That apple is going to be my only entertainment, journal, photo editing, business apps package for the next six months to a year.

Please help and feel free to scrutinize and criticize... I'm beyond getting my feeling hurt, I need to shop now or I might not have the tools I'll need. THanks!

Avery

PS. I really don't know anything apple, but I'll learn fast (I'm geeked out w/ windows ).

Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2005, 10:12 AM

Well not sure what you are going to do with it, you should load a ton of music into itunes, you should either bring along a bunch of DVDs to watch or rip them to DiVX (to save space) on to your hard drive.

What else would you like to do? iLife '05 is cool if your into creating music and movies, also iPhoto is awesome for organizing all those photos you are going to take.

Aug 20, 2005, 10:14 AM

If you are in to photography, I would suggest you take a look at programs like iView Media Pro to sort your pictures. Most of the other apps you'll get for free (chatting, etc.).
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2005, 10:21 AM

FTP: Transmit, Fetch, Captain, Cyberduck...

Burning DVD/CDs: Toast

Text: LaTex, Word, TextEdit (OS X)

Surfing: Safari, Firefox, Camino, Omniweb, Shiira, Surf Dude...

Cleaning/Maintenance: MacJanitor, Onyx...

WiFi: iStumbler...

Media Players: Quicktime, VLC, WMP, Real...(Codecs: DivX, 3iVX, Xvid...)

DVD ripping etc.: FFmpegX, dvd2one, Mac the Ripper...

P2P: Xfactor, TomatoTorrent

Chat Clients: iChat, Adium!, Skype...

That pretty much should cover whatever you might need.

Oh yeah, a train ticket to Canada and a fake passport might help.

Congrats on the PB and the best of luck to you.

Have you been touched by his noodly appendage?

Aug 20, 2005, 10:33 AM

Take also a look at Pages (text) and Keynote (presentation) … what are you doing there? Are you a journalist (because of your mention of the camera)?

Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Aug 20, 2005, 10:41 AM

A nice and strong case for your PowerBook. Something 'bulletproof' if you can.

Movies ripped to your hard drive will eat away space like no tomorrow... so if you can live with less than "Full Screen" rip them to DivX like the man said.

TONS OF MUSIC. Load it up. You going to have internet access? If so, buy $50 or $100 iTunes Card.

Can you also buy a nice "Firewire Hard Drive"? Something portable and large to compliment your 100gb on board. 80gb Firewire. You'll use it.

Be safe. Be safe. Be safe.

Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2005, 12:30 PM

Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2005, 01:17 PM

A couple of points:
If your new machine has a dvd burner, do NOT buy Toast 6. The new version Toast 7 will be out by the end of the month and is now on sale from Amazon.
VLC plays dvd movies ignoring the country code, and is available free on line.
You need either MS Office or AppleWorks for writing, spreadsheets, etc.
Graphic Converter (also on line) readsand saves all kinds of graphic files.
You may need a spare battery and larger memory card for your camera and a keychain drive.

Caffeinated Theme Master
Aug 20, 2005, 01:38 PM

If you're going to be "cut off from the world" for such a long time make sure you have a bootable back-up solution of some kind in case desaster strikes (unlikely but you never know). I suggest you take Budster's advice and get an external HD (2.5" bus powered or 3.5" larger capacity with ext. power supply, depending on your needs) and install Tiger (from your PB) on it ASAP - Macs can be booted from FW HDs. Get some decent back-up/synchronization software and you're ready to go.

Have tons of fun with your PB + good luck!

Mac Enthusiast
Aug 20, 2005, 02:10 PM

Good Luck on your assignment. Stay in touch on MacNN and you'll
have lots of company from home.
KeriVit may have more input - as her partner is over there working
somewhere.
If it were me I'd get a coolpad (the plastic cooiling fan that hooks up
to USB and saves your legs from getting too hot.
Perhaps a keypad rubber cover; to keep gunk from fowling the keyboard.
Some iKlear; polish, and a cleaner if they have that too.
An iPod would be good as well - if you're allowed that on your down time;
I like the portability.
Canon has some nice Gortex bags for cameras; just got one for my
new 20D; waterproof and such, and great pads. There are some pretty tiny printers
out there now too. (for sharing the pics with those Not on-line.

Clinically Insane
Aug 20, 2005, 02:48 PM

Also:

It's "Mac", not "MAC". Mac is not an acronym.

Professional Poster
Aug 20, 2005, 03:19 PM

Indeed Ol' Broad, I do.

First off, go ahead and set up a yahoo account for instant messaging. I say yahoo, cuz that's what most people are on.

I wouldn't bother with an iSight unless you KNOW your upload speed over there. The download speed is fine, but uploading is dreadfully slow.

I like the idea of the .mac account to post pics of your journey.

Office is useful in that much of the files over there are from Word and such and depending what kind of work you will be doing, staying compatible is important.

The coolpad is a good idea as it is frickin hot over there and the last thing you'll want is a hot laptop on your lap.

A good bag to keep it in is also very important as sandstorms are a plenty.

And some games, Skunk Studios has some fun ones that can keep you busy for a while.

If I think of more, I'll let you know.

Good luck.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 20, 2005, 03:33 PM

Thanks all for the great advice. I've already been souring the forums here looking for insight into making this Powerbook last. A case, cleaning materials, etc... thanks much for the tips and the titles... I'm researching everything!

For those who are curious, I'm not a journalist but I'll be in a position to have a camera with me when I'm out and about (that and a M9 and M16 ).

All the best and if I can get back here, I definately will.

Avery

Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2005, 03:44 PM

Best of luck mate. Look after yourself out there.

Aug 20, 2005, 03:50 PM

Watch your rear-end.

Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2005, 04:47 PM

good luck with the powerbook & iraq - i'm hoping my brother-in-law gets back soon

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

Mac Enthusiast
Aug 20, 2005, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by rambling
Thanks all for the great advice. I've already been souring the forums here looking for insight into making this Powerbook last. A case, cleaning materials, etc... thanks much for the tips and the titles... I'm researching everything!

For those who are curious, I'm not a journalist but I'll be in a position to have a camera with me when I'm out and about (that and a M9 and M16 ).

All the best and if I can get back here, I definately will.

Avery
Good luck...when you get back share some of those pictures!
Midshipman 3/C, USNR

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 21, 2005, 10:09 AM

Ok folks... As soon as my wife realizes what I did it may turn out that being in Iraq isn't so bad. To big questions below!

Here is a list of what I have on order:
PowerBook 15" 1.67GHz w/ SuperDrive, 1G RAM, 100G HD, and 128M video
Adobe Photoshop CS2
Toast 7
Rebound sleeve
Ice Creme (for use with my iPod as well)
Notebook ScreensavRz
Wildeepz
RoadTools CoolPad Podium and Traveler
Apple world traveler kit (will also work with my iPod)
Lexar 12-in-1 Multi Format Memory Card Reader
Canon Optura 400 Mini DV Camcorder
Spindles of CD-R and DVD-R media

Hopefully I'll receive the PB in time to download all the good free stuff I'll need to get going (ftp, p2p, etc.). After reading the forums I've decided to use NeoOffice until such a time that I need to drop for a more commercial office solution.

As for a laptop bag I have a USL business case that has traveled with me through Korea, Japan, most of continental United States, and Europe. It has a padded laptop pocket that should(?) fit the PowerBook even with the Rebound sleeve on it.

QUESTION 1: What text editors come with the PowerBook and Tiger? All I could find listed, and remember I'm not Mac literate just yet, was Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac Test Drive (lame!).
Explore Mac OS X Tiger:
http://www.apple.com/macosx/newfeatures/over200.html

Included with the PowerBook:
iLife ’05 (includes iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie HD, iDVD, GarageBand), Mail, Dashboard, Spotlight, iChat, Safari, QuickTime, iCal, DVD Player, Address Book, Classic environment, Art Directors Toolkit, FileMaker Pro Trial, GraphicConverter, OmniGraffle, OmniOutliner, QuickBooks For Mac New User Edition, Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac Test Drive, Zinio Reader, Xcode Developer Tools and Apple Hardware Test

QUESTION 2: I'm going to want to create personal videos for my wife and kids... say hello during the holidays and whatnot. I opted for the Canon Optura because it's portable. Will the Optura function as the iSight does (video and audio) with iChat and QuickTime applications?

Thanks everyone for the well wishes and the insight into this marvelous world of Mac! Your comments and suggestions are most welcome. And yes, I did search the forums for answers if you were wondering; that’s why I've only posted 2 questions instead of the 267 I needed answers for.

All the best,
Avery

Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2005, 11:26 AM

TextEdit is a very limited text editor that comes preinstalled. It is used normally to open "Read Me" files. The Graphic Converter you get will be obsolete. Download the latest if you have a high speed link. sam

Professional Poster
Aug 21, 2005, 11:38 AM

I thought new powerbooks came with Pages (at least mine did...) - it's a pretty good text editor once you get the hang of it. Otherwise you could download NeoOfficeJ to edit things like Word documents and the like.

Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2005, 12:20 PM

There is another pre-installed application called Preview that opens both pdf and jpg files. It can export text and jpg from pdf files.

Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2005, 12:35 PM

phew! - lucky you posted on here, before that computer arrived. you really screwed up there mate!

but - don't worry. i'll help you work this out:

first off, that powerbook's not going to be nearly fast enough for you.

processor speed is measured in "pounds" in the mac world. did you know that? that wee powerbook's only going to be giving you a couple of ounces of GHZ. it's quite literaly a "lightweight". you need some 'heavier' processing power.

now, keep this to yourself, but i've got hold of the next-generation apple computer. if you thought the "ipod" was big - wait til you see this baby! code-named the LISA ["lugubrious", "intelligence" er... "system" er.... um... "advanced"], this new mac will be at the forefront of technology for years, if not decades, to come.

i can let you have this LISA at a very decent price.

secondly - the software. with a machine as advanced as the LISA, you're going to want an operating system that can handle that kind of processing power without burning itself out. your old powerbook would have come with an operating system called "X" [ie. "ten"]. impressive? - until you hear that i can get my hands on a copy of a specially advanced OS, known as "68K" in exchange for your X discs [again, i'm a sucker for those antique DVDs!].

anyway, simple mathematics will let you see that "68K" is approximately 6800 times better than "X". you can only imagine the increase in sheer processing "grunt" this will bring you!

incidentally, i'd keep this arrangement to ourselves. if the rest of the forum found out about our little er... "arrangement", they'd probably take it the wrong way... report you to the police for terrorist offences, or something! - you have registered your system software's arabic language pack with the FBI, haven't you?

you haven't?! - my god! you better get rid of that powerbook fast - it's a hot potato!

tell you what, just leave it round the alley at the back, after closing time and i'll take it from there!

Mac Enthusiast
Aug 21, 2005, 03:12 PM

^ Madra is one of the local MacNN Comedians; although he probably
is serious about the "taking that thing off your hands" part. LOL

Your order seems to have covered alot of territory; and yes it does sound
like the wife's brows will raise when that bill shows up.
You'll have to get her her own PB; that should take care of it!

Another tiny item: a little black book for all your passwords and
account info. I keep one with all my username/password configs
'cause I have 11tybillion different ones for different sites.

Keep in touch with this (MacNN) place; they're mostly characters
and it's a good place to get a daily laugh and learn more about the
world of Mac.

And I'm hoping the Canon is the only gun you need on this trip!
Budster said it all:
Be safe, be safe, be safe!
And hurry Home!

Forum Links
Forum Rules