Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Digital Camera recommendation

Digital Camera recommendation
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2005, 02:03 AM

I'm looking for a compact digital camera.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

I'm currently looking at:
- Olympus FE-100 or 110
- Sony Cyber-shot® DSC-T33 (Very slim)
- Panasonic Lumix® DMC-FX8K

I'm looking to not spend a lot, but I want some high quality pictures. (At least as high quality as possible for the price range)

Has anyone used any of these? Would you recommend any of them? Would you recommend any others?
- MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.3Ghz / 256SSD (Work laptop)
- iMac 3.2Ghz 1TB

Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2005, 02:07 AM

The T7 is even slimmer and same picture quality of awesome.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

Dec 4, 2005, 02:15 AM

Canon

"And after we are through, ten years in making it to be the most of glorious debuts."

Banned
Dec 4, 2005, 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by misc
Canon
2nded

Posting Junkie
Dec 4, 2005, 02:47 AM

ConsumerReports (and mduell) recommend Canon PowerShot SD300, 400, or 500.

Which reminds me, I need to send my SD300 in for warranty service... somehow I got a fiber inside the lens.

Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2005, 02:55 AM

I got my friends never opened Sony DSC-P7 with a bunch of accesories for 150 bucks. It takes good pics for a simple point and shoot camera.

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 4, 2005, 05:24 AM

Fuji Z1....3/4" inch thick, size or a deck of cards, great image, 5.1 res, MUCH lower price than the crappy Sonys, almost nonexistent purple halo by comparison.

Have shot thousands of images with mine in a variety of situations and always am thrilled. Factor in the price and its a no-brainer.

Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2005, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by hickey
I got my friends never opened Sony DSC-P7 with a bunch of accesories for 150 bucks. It takes good pics for a simple point and shoot camera.
A simple point and shoot camera that costs over 400 freaking bucks!

Professional Poster
Dec 4, 2005, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Railroader
2nded
3rded.

Canon makes a great small camera - the Digital Elph. It's about the size of a deck of cards, it has a metal case, so it very sturdy, and it takes fantastic pictures. The pictures really are great. I've recently decided to go with a Nikon D50, but I'll be keeping the Canon for when I don't want to lug the D50.

Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2005, 09:26 AM

I have the Sony DSC-W1 and highly recommend the DSC-W5 or 7MP DSC-W7, great optics and every feature you could want, photos are amazing, much less shift and noise when compared to my (older) elph. Gotta love Zeiss optics.

And with how good to movies are from this camera sample here: http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/so...w/MOV00065.MPG

I find myself pulling out the DVCAM less and less especially when I am putting the video online for the relatives out of state.

Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2005, 09:31 AM

Canon

driven  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2005, 12:24 PM

What makes you all like the Cannon over the Sony? (Or the Olympus)

Any thoughts on this Panasonic?
Panasonic Lumix® DMC-FX8K

I've actually been quite happy with my Olympus C-700 (2.1MB, 10X Optical Zoom, SLR) over the years but I'm just looking to get something more portable. (And more megapixels). I did notice that it's rare to find 10X optical zoom on a smaller camera now a days though. <-- SO I'll keep my C-700 for sporting events I guess. :-)
- MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.3Ghz / 256SSD (Work laptop)
- iMac 3.2Ghz 1TB

Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2005, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by driven
Sony? Memory Stick? No Thanks.

Professional Poster
Dec 4, 2005, 12:48 PM

I don't know if it remains true, but at the time that I purchased my camera, all of the reviews went on and on about what great pictures the Canon cameras took. On top of that the build of the Digital Elphs is great. They are solid metal and very sturdy. I have no problem putting it my pocket and then not worrying about it banging on something at a theme park or whereever else I might be. I know people that have had various Sonys, and I haven't cared for them.

Banned
Dec 4, 2005, 01:03 PM

Picture quality. Ease of use, yet powerful cameras. Non-proprietary memory cards. Durability. Not supporting Sony which places malicious software on your computer. Reliability.

Banned
Dec 4, 2005, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Peter
Canon
2nded.

[/echo]

Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2005, 01:06 PM

Any thoughts on this Panasonic?
Panasonic Lumix® DMC-FX8K

I got a Canon early this year, but wasnt impressed with how it worked in low light. Now I have DMC-FX9 which works great in low light with its optical image stabalizer. The 2.5" lcd is great too. I ordered it at B&H back in October and have been loving it.

There was a great "Ask Engadget" on digital cameras and the new FX9 won! It seems to be the best choice if you are looking for something that works in ALL light conditions.

http://ask.engadget.com/entry/1234000023065431/
( Last edited by mishap; Dec 4, 2005 at 01:18 PM. )

Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2005, 01:26 PM

A year ago, I would've just said to get whatever Canon is in your price/size range. That's still not bad advice, as Canon makes excellent cameras pretty much across the board. When I got my second, small camera I was in a hurry and on a budget and it was pretty easy to just grab a Canon.

That said, Sony's gotten quite the reputation lately, especially in terms of shutter lag. Some of their cameras are said to be close to DSLRs in that respect. I forget which ones, though I think it's most of the T series.Digital Camera Resource Page, which used to constantly rag on Memory Stick, said in a recent review that MS prices are on a par with CF these days (though I believe the smaller MS Duo are more expensive still and may be used in the littler Sony models).

But yeah, if you're in a hurry, just compare a few Canon and Sony reviews. If you feel like wading through reviews for months, check out lots of reviews in DCRP and Digital Photography Review. Last year, I was surprised to see good reviews for cams from less-prestigious companies like Panasonic and Casio. By the time you've gotten a handle on the info from those 2 sites, your head'll be spinning and it'll be February when a bunch of new models come out..

Admin Emeritus
Dec 4, 2005, 03:03 PM

We have a peripherals forum for a reason!

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules