Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > macnn's new dress; on your machine by 1pm (EST) today!

macnn's new dress; on your machine by 1pm (EST) today! (Page 3)
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 7, 2005, 10:24 AM

One thing that strikes me as a bit confusing, on the /news page, is that the stories are not very well separated. There's the heading, the “email | print | comment” line, the “evening/afternoon/morning edition” line, and the “wednesday, december 7th” line to keep track of, and they're far too close to each other.

I had to scroll back up to the top to figure out if the email/print/comment links went with the story above or below them. I'd say add another 20 or so pixels before every story header, and an extra 30 or so pixels before every day/date header. The same thing goes for the comments, by the way: hard to tell who's posted what comment when.

The vertical text links do not bother me at all—in fact, I love them—but shouldn't the mouseover actions be restricted to the ones that are actually links? Since updatenn and dealnn are 'coming soon', and are not links, shouldn't they just remain static on mouseover?

I agree about the news titles being cut off mid-word or mid-sentence. Doesn't matter if it spans two lines, just don't cut it off like that.

Apart from that, I can only agree with Joshua's view of the design. So incredibly much better than the old one.

Admin Emeritus
Dec 7, 2005, 12:25 PM

To be clear, there are two different versions of the news site. There's a portal version (default) and a regular blog version (macnn.com/news). If you just don't like the portal format, use the other one.

If you hate the design itself, continue to post feedback, and you could always use legacy.macnn.com instead (which has the usual old design).
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2005, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Amorya
Yeah, same prob. If I choose to open one of the broken images (eg http://www4.macnn.com/images/hdbrandl2.jpg) in a new window, I get:

The new look, with its reliance on background images, really suffers for this!

Amorya
BlueSky's suggestion after my post does the trick; clear your cache (Safari menu > Empty Cache...) and reopen safari. Works great for me now.

"I start fires!"

Moderator Emeritus
Dec 7, 2005, 02:38 PM

For those of you complaining about the the page being too 'busy', you did notice that there are actually four page layouts to choose from in the drop down. If you want something more like the old layout, choose 'headlines+news'. You can even choose 'legacy' for the old design.
Nemo me impune lacesset

Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2005, 03:44 PM

I like it. Clean, fresh and fast. Well done effgee. A big improvement.

Although there is one thing (sorry ):
The layout in general is somewhat "dry". A bit too clean maybe, if you know what i mean.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 7, 2005, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by ThinkInsane
For those of you complaining about the the page being too 'busy', you did notice that there are actually four page layouts to choose from in the drop down. If you want something more like the old layout, choose 'headlines+news'. You can even choose 'legacy' for the old design.
If they actually worked that would be an option. As it stands now selecting Legacy does what one would expect, but the other options all seem to go into "Headline" mode ... regardless of which option you actually selected.

OAW

Addicted to MacNN
Dec 7, 2005, 04:51 PM

Well, then let me be the first to criticize the new design. Albeit thei graphics are pretty thanks to effgee, the new design is a major step back:
  1. The Font is Too Small!
    Display resolutions become higher and higher and the MacNN becomes what? Smaller!? WTF? At 11 pixels the font is not even 8 points high on a todays standard 100 ppi display. The standard font size for comfortable reading has been 12 points for centuries. Less than 8 points is way too small!
  2. Vertical Text
    Vertical text? I admit I bent my head to read it out of curiosity, but for a normal website I wouldn't bother. Vertical text, at 8 points size, and in yellow/white colour on orange background is for all intents and purposes illegible. Orientation, size, and contrast work perfectly together here to achieve that. I wonder why the text is not blinking.
  3. Fixed Width Layout
    I can press ⌘+ a couple of times to fix the font size, but why then is the layout in a fixed width? I have a widescreen display and I would like to use a little bit more width and besides, the headlines and the stockticker-bar look weird when they wrap lines at larger fonts.
  4. Clipped Headlines
    "Briefly: MacNN reviews; EarBuddy's; CS..." CS-what? "iStar Composer syncs, displays lyrics on..." On what? "Think Different Store drops Song Sling..." They drop that product? No, it's price as I see when I click the article. "Sena Cases debuts leather cases for..." What? "Canada's Conservative Party offers..." What? "Griffin launches EarThumps earbuds for..." For what?
    Do I really have to click every article now to know what it is about? This is ridiculous.
  5. No Article Summaries Anymore
    The old MacNN frontpage (next to complete headlines) had article summaries that allowed me to decide which article of interest for me. No more.
  6. Headlines Overload
    Is anybody really reading through the "News by Category"? Maybe separate sites for each category (there then with full headlines and summaries) or a popup menu as category filter would be useful. But this I doubt anybody can read through without a headache. The massive list of headlines just flickers in front of the eyes and the moving "GET A FREE iPod mini" gives it the rest.

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 7, 2005, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL
No Article Summaries Anymore
The old MacNN frontpage (next to complete headlines) had article summaries that allowed me to decide which article of interest for me. No more.

Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2005, 05:06 PM

I thought those were 'Default View Options' for search results or such, since they were bundled into the same containing box. A bit hidden, aren't they?

J

Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2005, 05:16 PM

Moderator Emeritus
Dec 7, 2005, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Judge_Fire
I thought those were 'Default View Options' for search results or such, since they were bundled into the same containing box. A bit hidden, aren't they?
A bit, perhaps—but the box is titled “MacNN Toolbox”, not “MacNN Search Box”, so it does make sense to place them there.

And might I suggest that those who find four to six letters in bold hard to read simply because they're written vertically might need to go see an optometrist? I have no problems whatsoever reading all of them without tilting my head one inch, even from a distance of more than three feet.

Clinically Insane
Dec 7, 2005, 05:33 PM

Okay, FWIW, I think the headlines + news view should be the default view.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Professional Poster
Dec 7, 2005, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
I agree.

I dislike very much the navigation bar. It is very cumbersome. I don't understand what the point of the very left button 'portal' is. What in there is no fulfilled by other sections of the navigation bar? Furthermore, the top site navigation with its vertical text is very hard to read.
In vino veritas.

effgee  (op)
Caffeinated Theme Master
Dec 7, 2005, 06:30 PM

Well, then let me be the first to criticize the new design. Albeit thei graphics are pretty thanks to effgee, the new design is a major step back:
  1. The Font is Too Small!
    Display resolutions become higher and higher and the MacNN becomes what? Smaller!? WTF? At 11 pixels the font is not even 8 points high on a todays standard 100 ppi display. The standard font size for comfortable reading has been 12 points for centuries. Less than 8 points is way too small!
  2. Vertical Text
    Vertical text? I admit I bent my head to read it out of curiosity, but for a normal website I wouldn't bother. Vertical text, at 8 points size, and in yellow/white colour on orange background is for all intents and purposes illegible. Orientation, size, and contrast work perfectly together here to achieve that. I wonder why the text is not blinking.
  3. Fixed Width Layout
    I can press ⌘+ a couple of times to fix the font size, but why then is the layout in a fixed width? I have a widescreen display and I would like to use a little bit more width and besides, the headlines and the stockticker-bar look weird when they wrap lines at larger fonts.
  4. Clipped Headlines
    "Briefly: MacNN reviews; EarBuddy's; CS..." CS-what? "iStar Composer syncs, displays lyrics on..." On what? "Think Different Store drops Song Sling..." They drop that product? No, it's price as I see when I click the article. "Sena Cases debuts leather cases for..." What? "Canada's Conservative Party offers..." What? "Griffin launches EarThumps earbuds for..." For what?
    Do I really have to click every article now to know what it is about? This is ridiculous.
  5. No Article Summaries Anymore
  6. Headlines Overload
    Is anybody really reading through the "News by Category"? Maybe separate sites for each category (there then with full headlines and summaries) or a popup menu as category filter would be useful. But this I doubt anybody can read through without a headache. The massive list of headlines just flickers in front of the eyes and the moving "GET A FREE iPod mini" gives it the rest.
Thanks for taking the time to write that up, Tetenal - good stuff!

A few thoughts in response to the issues you mentioned ...
  1. Font too small - that issue is being addressed as we speak, font sizes will be more flexible very soon.
    empty
  2. Vertical text - I love the comments about this one, btw. You guys (as in: everybody who commented on this oddity) do realize that this item is as much a branding- as it is a navigational element, right?

It is designed to work as a branding element in that it communicates the "new" network structure as well as various branding elements like: a) primary brand elements (= primary color for the respective subsite) and b) the secondary branding element, the respective icon-like illustration for each of the subsites.

Now, as far as the usability aspect of that element is concerned, if you have taken a close look at the primary navigation (blue horizontal bar stretching across the top of the content area), you will have realized that the secondary links underneath the primary link "portal" are identical (*) to the ones in the upper right corner of the horizontal "branding bar".

I would wholeheartedly agree with the argument that a navigational item with a vertical text label can never provide sufficient accessibility to the areas linked therein if it were the only way to access these content areas - alas, it isn't. From my perspective, the blue nav bar is easily identifiable as a container for the primary navigation of the site(s).
    empty
  3. Fixed width layout - I am not going to get into a philosophical debate over "fixed width" vs. "flexible width" in this thread. Suffice it to say that, depending on what kind of site you are developing, there are a number of good reasons for and against each of those two approaches. Feel free to PM me about this and I'll be happy to elaborate further.
    empty
  4. Clipped headlines - primarily an editorial issue (which I am not going to stick my nose into - none of my business) but I'll see if I can find out what the general feeling on those is.
    empty
  5. No article summaries - as mentioned numerous times by a multitude of folks, they're still there. The overall structure of the macnn home page has not changed. What is new is that there is now an overarching entry page which presents a "quick overview" of all the network news. Not fond of it? No problem - change the default view or go directly to macnn.com/news.
    empty
  6. Headlines overload - first, see #5 above. And yes, just like there is a (vocal) group of people who prefer flexible layouts for their online reading, there is also a group of folks who do read news by category (and I am not being sarcastic here).

(* - Actually, they aren't identical yet. Oversight on our part. Shouldn't have happened but it did. Apologies for that blunder, it'll be rectified very soon.)
( Last edited by effgee; Dec 7, 2005 at 06:45 PM. )

effgee  (op)
Caffeinated Theme Master
Dec 7, 2005, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Oisín
(1) One thing that strikes me as a bit confusing, on the /news page, is that the stories are not very well separated. There's the heading, the “email | print | comment” line, the “evening/afternoon/morning edition” line, and the “wednesday, december 7th” line to keep track of, and they're far too close to each other.

I had to scroll back up to the top to figure out if the email/print/comment links went with the story above or below them. I'd say add another 20 or so pixels before every story header, and an extra 30 or so pixels before every day/date header. The same thing goes for the comments, by the way: hard to tell who's posted what comment when.

(2) The vertical text links do not bother me at all—in fact, I love them—but shouldn't the mouseover actions be restricted to the ones that are actually links? Since updatenn and dealnn are 'coming soon', and are not links, shouldn't they just remain static on mouseover?

(3) I agree about the news titles being cut off mid-word or mid-sentence. Doesn't matter if it spans two lines, just don't cut it off like that.

(4) Apart from that, I can only agree with Joshua's view of the design. So incredibly much better than the old one.

First of all - and I'm directing this at everyone contributing to this thread - sorry if I haven't answered your question yet and/or have done so "out of order". We're still very busy ironing out various issues - I try to check this thread several times a day and answer as many questions/observations/criticisms/whatever as I can. If an issue is important to you and hasn't been addressed yet, feel free to re-post or PM me.

(1), story separation
Good point. The general idea is to create a visual distinction between editorial content (headline + article text) and meta information (date/time, commenting, etc.). Each article in itself though, ("article" = "editorial content" + "respective meta information") is most certainly supposed to create an easily identifiable visual unit/block/module - will definitely look into that spacing issue. That's a biggie - thank you!

(2), active and inactive links in the "site nav"
What can I say but "touche" (where are the damn accents on this US keyboard??)? Definitely something that needs fixing - (inactive) links to entirely non-functional parts of a site shouldn't provide any form of visual feedback on mouseover and a navigational item that points to the area you currently find yourself in shouldn't do so either or be clickable in the first place (with very few but notable exceptions). The reason for how this happened is so mundane that I wouldn't mention it here if you paid me money, but I have added this to the "to fix" list

(3), cut-off headlines
As mentioned in my response to Tetenal's post above, this is an editorial issue which I can't speak to but I will see if I can dig up some info on this.

(4), Joshua's comment
Thanks!

( Last edited by effgee; Dec 7, 2005 at 07:28 PM. )

Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2005, 07:15 PM

touché

explore your options a little bit.

effgee  (op)
Caffeinated Theme Master
Dec 7, 2005, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by paul w
touché. explore your options a little bit.
I would - but there are so many options under option, it's not even funny! (Plus, I was too lazy to double click PopChar)

Administrator
Dec 7, 2005, 07:47 PM

touché?
touchê?
touchë?
two-shay!

i view the new page with headlines + news, as that looks the most like ipodnn and leftlanenews. you get the slick new look while maintaining essentially the same view style.

Addicted to MacNN
Dec 7, 2005, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by rickey939
effgee, can we get some updated favicons for the site now? The old ones don't look right with the new design...

I agree.

Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2005, 08:01 PM

I also agree that the forum needs to be fixed with all of the double/triple/quadruple postings.

Moderator Emeritus
Dec 7, 2005, 08:03 PM

Hah, even the mighty are vulnerable to the burps!

(Except they have the power to remove the traces afterwards...)

Baninated
Dec 7, 2005, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by alphasubzero949
I also agree that the forum needs to be fixed with all of the double/triple/quadruple postings.
Only "the hamster" can field this one.

Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2005, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
Just go to www.macnn.com/news to get the old view back.

/bookmarked

Admin Emeritus
Dec 7, 2005, 08:25 PM

Re: images that don't load. While the new design highlights when the server screws up, that's really not the designer's fault. MacNN's management should, however, take this as a serious sign of what I have been saying for years: fix the darned servers so they work reliably!

Re: fixed width. I hate them. BUT -- isn't it possible to make the widths relative to the font size by using "em" as the unit of measure? That would let the layout stay the same (e.g. the same line lengths, to keep it legible) while allowing users of big screens to zoom the text. That should be a no-compromise situation.

tooki

Administrator
Dec 7, 2005, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Oisín
Hah, even the mighty are vulnerable to the burps!

(Except they have the power to remove the traces afterwards...)
indeed

something about this new design is making all the old timeout/quadruple post issues reappear.
damnit all.

Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2005, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Demonhood
indeed

something about this new design is making all the old timeout/quadruple post issues reappear.
damnit all.

Hmmm...can you make my locked duplicate thread about Jobs and Intel disappear?

Admin Emeritus
Dec 7, 2005, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Demonhood
indeed

damnit all.
They only went away for a day or two. I've been diligently deleting dupes and empty threads (I don't bother to leave the deletion notices for dupes) even after the "fix", and I have kept the server folks informed that the problems have been growing worse and worse again.

tooki

effgee  (op)
Caffeinated Theme Master
Dec 7, 2005, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by rickey939
I agree.
part of the list™ as of right now.

Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2005, 08:50 PM

Great work on the redisign effgee, I give it the thumbs up

I think the color branding of the different parts of the NN is a good idea.. but GREY (for the Forums)?!

We may have to make you walk the plank or just throw you in the lifeboat

cheers

W-Y

“Building Better Worlds”

Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2005, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by effgee
[*] Vertical text - I love the comments about this one, btw. You guys (as in: everybody who commented on this oddity) do realize that this item is as much a branding- as it is a navigational element, right?
So MacNN cares more about marketing at the expense of legibility and usability? I think the vertical menus are ridiculous, no matter how they are justified (duplicating the functionality is a tacit admission of their failure as navigational device).

And now we see all sorts of options; different views, different font sizes. This too points to the failure of the main design. If it was done better to begin with, all these options wouldn't be necessary.

Addicted to MacNN
Dec 7, 2005, 09:28 PM

part of the list™ as of right now.

effgee  (op)
Caffeinated Theme Master
Dec 7, 2005, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Weyland-Yutani
... but GREY (for the Forums)?! ...
Well, I'll be damned if I don't have a strategic (**cough**) answer to (nearly) everything.

Seriously though, if you take a peek at the concept model below (apologies for the crappy compression - am in a hurry today), you'll see that we consider the forums to be the "communal foundation" (aka "backbone") of the network. Since each and every subsite has (will have, respectively) its own or at least related forum, you as the strategic planner have (more or less) three choices:
  1. Split the current large forum into many small forums and give each of them the color of the subsite it belongs to. In our opinion, that would have fragmented our existing community to the point of deliberate destruction, not the brightest of thoughts.
    empty
  2. Leave the current forum in one piece but give each subforum the color of the subsite it belongs to (as sort of a secondary brand color). This would have resulted in a, uhm ... very "colorful" appearance which, from a design and a usability POV, would have been rather undesirable as well.
    empty
  3. Leave the current forum in one piece, preserve the existing community and give the whole shebang a neutral primary color that integrates well with each of the subsite's primary colors. Since there's going to be five subsites (four subsites plus the forum to be exact) in the future, the possible choices for a forum color are not only narrowed down considerably but a grey'ish, calm appearance suddenly seems rather attractive.
And frankly, I love the grey for the forum - it allows me as a designer to leave my "hefty" design elements intact because the grey takes the proverbial "edge" off, all the while allowing users to do what they came here for in the first place ... look at the beautiful ads ... errrr, talk to each other, I mean.

concept model:

(in case you're interested in a little more background info as well as screenshots of the forum design, take a peek at the mini case study on my site)
( Last edited by effgee; Dec 7, 2005 at 09:56 PM. )

Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2005, 09:36 PM

<tinfoil>Why was Legacy removed from the toolbox? </tinfoil>

effgee  (op)
Caffeinated Theme Master
Dec 7, 2005, 09:45 PM

opsie.

Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2005, 09:49 PM

I think it is neautiful.

I love it.
"Criticism is a misconception: we must read not to understand others but to understand ourselves.”

Emile M. Cioran

Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2005, 10:23 PM

I love it too, thanks Effgee for all your work. If ever I get $$ you will be my designer of choice.

edit: forgot, server people, make the default lettering bigger!

Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2005, 11:01 PM

I think the structure of the site is needlessly complex and confusing. For example, one goes to macnn.com, and by default land at the portal. So far so good. But now you have a submenu, "Portal", that reads "Portal / MacNN / PodNN". So now we have a redundant link (two links on top of each other that both point to portal), then the MacNN link which points /news...but isn't the site called "MacNN"? why is this going to a news subpage? Then PodNN which is fine, I guess.

But we're not out of the woods yet; The next link reads "MacNN Home"..which links to /news. But wait, isnt MacNN home just www.macnn.com? That is the home page of the site! But no, that takes us to the portal. Ok, so this Menu has a bunch of sublinks, the first being the redundant link "MacNN News", which has now been repeated THREE times on the same menu. Then we have /headlines. How is /headlines supposed to be different from /news? Sound like the same thing to me.

It just seems so needlessly redundant and confusing. Why have something called "MacNN home", when it truly isn't the "Home"? And on top of that, what *should* be the HOME page is called, generically, "Portal". Yes, I know you can pick your own default landing page, but that confuses thing as well, as the cookie fires you off to a sub page, even tho the URL still shows simply "macnn.com", which apparently can mean either the portal, or the MacNN home, or the headlines...

/news should be the default landing page, as nature intended, and you need to cut down the redundancy; having four iterations of the same link on one menu is nuts.

Addicted to MacNN
Dec 7, 2005, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by Lava Lamp Freak
I think the new layout is much easier to browse, and the design looks great. My only complaint is the sideways links. I know everyone will see it differently, but it is confusing to me at first glance.
I don't like it myself. It's horrible. Why not just rotate that link box in the upper right-hand corner 90 degrees clockwise?

Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2005, 12:26 AM

I like it overall, but have to agree with SVOTG: Having the portal link to the portal in the portal menu is odd.

Also, some of the links in the nav bar are hard to hit with a mouse-- especially the "about", which, when moused over, reveals sub-menu items way off to the left, and my tendency, (due to the way Apple codes their menus and sub-menus in applications) is to move the cursor in a straight line towards the revealed text, which then activates the "services" button. You've got to move the mouse down, then over to hit the target, which is a maneuver that you've got to think about making, and more difficult than it would be if there were vertical drop-down menus, or at least if the text was oriented directly beneath the main menu items, instead of justified left in all cases.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Dec 8, 2005, 12:53 AM

effgee, great work -- my compliments to your team.

anyhow a couple small issues i've noted.

1) The #top link sends my browser to the top of the site, just above the nav bar, but below the main header graphic. Is this intentional or no?

2) Not sure that it's really an error on your part or the macnn staff or linksynergy, but the "Buy from" links across the bottom of the macnn marketplace ad block are mostly broken links. Not that too many people click them often, but they most definitely do not work.

Again, great work on the redesign. I might have to consider your services at some point.
Here's to the crazy ones..

effgee  (op)
Caffeinated Theme Master
Dec 8, 2005, 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by chris v
like it overall, but have to agree with SVOTG: Having the portal link to the portal in the portal menu is odd.

Also, some of the links in the nav bar are hard to hit with a mouse-- especially the "about", which, when moused over, reveals sub-menu items way off to the left, and my tendency, (due to the way Apple codes their menus and sub-menus in applications) is to move the cursor in a straight line towards the revealed text, which then activates the "services" button. You've got to move the mouse down, then over to hit the target, which is a maneuver that you've got to think about making, and more difficult than it would be if there were vertical drop-down menus, or at least if the text was oriented directly beneath the main menu items, instead of justified left in all cases.
further proof that writing footnotes is pointless - at least in my case.</jk>

(* - Flash ads in combination with Safari's inability to overlay a Flash file with a <div> were actually the reason why we had to redesign the entire primary navigation - imagine the headaches that caused us! Btw, every other browser can do this - except for Safari, a real PITA)
Referring to secondary links under "portal" ... (* - Actually, they aren't identical yet. Oversight on our part. Shouldn't have happened but it did. Apologies for that blunder, it'll be rectified very soon.)

Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2005, 01:30 AM

<fix>
( Last edited by TETENAL; Dec 8, 2005 at 01:36 AM. )

Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2005, 01:31 AM

<fix>

Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2005, 01:32 AM

<fix>

Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2005, 01:32 AM

Flash ads in combination with Safari's inability to overlay a Flash file with a <div> were actually the reason why we had to redesign the entire primary navigation
That's not an inability of Safari, that's a performance optimization Macromedia did in Flash 8 for Mac.

effgee  (op)
Caffeinated Theme Master
Dec 8, 2005, 01:46 AM

That's not an inability of Safari, that's a performance optimization Macromedia did in Flash 8 for Mac.
Trust me (and I'm not trying to be a smart-ass about this) - the issue I'm referring to has nothing to do with different versions of the Flash plugin or the version of Flash used to create a movie (*). I researched that bastard of a problem for almost 2 weeks. There's a certain number of workarounds for this problem (in short: Flash creating its own "OS-level window", not a floating layer inside the browser window to display swfs) that work in virtually every browser. In my trials, the only one that refused to accept them was Safari. In this particular case, Safari's behavior is of course the "proper" one by not accepting workarounds/cheats but the headaches this caused us were considerable.

Add to that the fact that some of the ads are being served inside of truly perverse iframe constructs, and you're ready for a Vicodin or two.

(* Which wouldn't help us anyhow since macnn has no control over how the Flash-based ads are created. Otherwise, we'd simply tell everyone to set the background of their Flash files to transparent and we'd be in the green)

effgee  (op)
Caffeinated Theme Master
Dec 8, 2005, 01:48 AM

Tetenal - why are you up at 7am anyway??

Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2005, 08:27 AM

OK-- the menu looks a little better now, but two problems:

"mac news" points to /news, and now you have the new label "Articles" which also points to /news...so not only is that link still redundant, but now you're calling it two different things? Why have it there at all? "mac news" points to /news. That's fine, end of story.

Secondly, in Safari the rss tab is loading below the whole menu bar, and doesn't pop into place until you mouse over the menu (for me anyway).

Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2005, 08:43 AM

further proof that writing footnotes is pointless - at least in my case.</jk>

(* - Flash ads in combination with Safari's inability to overlay a Flash file with a <div> were actually the reason why we had to redesign the entire primary navigation - imagine the headaches that caused us! Btw, every other browser can do this - except for Safari, a real PITA)
Okay, missed that the first time around. I see your point-- drop-down menus would be swell, but if no workee in Safari, then oh, well. Mousing from the main nav bar to the sub-menu items is still a little dicey, but the only one that doesn't have any items directly beneath it this AM is the blogs one, which points to three pages that haven't been updated since August, anyway. (I know you're not involved in content)

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Nick
Dec 8, 2005, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Silky Voice of The Gorn
And now we see all sorts of options; different views, different font sizes. This too points to the failure of the main design. If it was done better to begin with, all these options wouldn't be necessary.
Some people prefer a portal and some prefer a weblog. How could you ever do both without having a view option?

Font sizes are for people who have trouble with their vision.

Forum Links
Forum Rules