Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Was it everything you dreamed of?

Was it everything you dreamed of?
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2006, 03:22 PM

Quite the announcement today. No more powerbooks, wow, I think I'll be getting one in Feb!

Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2006, 03:26 PM

Finally. Macs competitive in the field again.

Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2006, 03:32 PM

Once again the rumor sites were completely off on which Macs would get Intel chips first. I don't think anyone forsaw iMacs and "Powerbooks" getting upgraded in the first round. Way to go Apple! These will sell like hot cakes. Already placed my order for iLife '06. Too bad I just bought a 20" iMac in June. lol

Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2006, 03:32 PM

Yeah I was waiting for an iMac update to buy one and if the reviews are positive this will be the one. 2-3x faster? Wow!

Mac Enthusiast
Jan 10, 2006, 03:37 PM

no more powerbooks
its mac books now

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 10, 2006, 03:38 PM

Te rumour sites were wrong with just about everything. The babbled on about the MacMini becoming a PVR, Shuffle updates and NOTHING about the iMac or powerbooks going intel.

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!"

Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2006, 03:43 PM

Can't wait to get a new Intel macbook pro. Probably later this year.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Admin Emeritus
Jan 10, 2006, 03:44 PM

The PowerBook line has not yet been discontinued, nor has the iMac G5.

tooki

Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2006, 03:46 PM

I really don't like the name "Macbook". Otherwise, it's cool

Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2006, 03:47 PM

Can't wait to see the all the pics of iMacs dual booting Windows... which will probably debut to the internets about 1 hour after the 1st one arrives at someone's doorstep.

Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2006, 03:51 PM

On a less than cheerful note, I wonder what issues people will start running into with the new architecture.

I'm deciding on whether I want to be an early adopter or not... 2-4x processor is a hard lure to ignore...

Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2006, 03:53 PM

Whatever happened to the 42" plasma VIIV media centres? I really had faith in that rumour.

Posting Junkie
Jan 10, 2006, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by jasonsRX7
I really don't like the name "Macbook". Otherwise, it's cool
Neither do I, nor the "MacBook" way of capitilization.

Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2006, 04:12 PM

Well using SAT thinking, PowerBook is to MacBook as PowerMac is to MacMac?

Clinically Insane
Jan 10, 2006, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by tooki
The PowerBook line has not yet been discontinued, nor has the iMac G5.
Only a moron would by a PowerBook or iMac G5 now.

-t

Clinically Insane
Jan 10, 2006, 04:23 PM

Not everything I "dreamed" of, but everything I predicted. As Apple pushes the state of personal computing back by 20 years, it seems I was right all along. Jobs' relentless quest for cheap-over-good only applies to Apple's own perspective: it has no intention of passing the savings onto its userbase. Rather than improve an elegant architecture, they have chosen to go with Intel's cesspool because of a few marketing numbers, and the users will eat it up like candy.

Very well. I had hoped that Apple would take long enough to introduce these systems that I would at least be able to get one more purchase in, but I never anticipated needing a new machine this year, and this doesn't change that. It just means that I'm using my last Macs, instead of my second-to-last ones. If I'm going to be forced to use a garbage architecture like x86 in the future, I want to at least get my money's worth out of the machines I buy. With the move to Intel, particularly with the Apple tax intact as I knew it would be, Macs are no longer different enough from PCs to justify the price premium. If my next machine is to be an x86 box, it will be AMD-based -which is still burdened with x86, but at least makes some improvements over Intel's model- and run Linux. Once there, I will work toward resolving its interface issues, with the eventual goal of eliminating the remaining advantages OSX has.

I have tendered my resignation as moderator in the Developer Center, effective immediately. I am still willing to moderate platform-neutral boards, such as Web Developer where I also currently moderate, but I have left the decision as to whether or not to keep me as a moderator in the hands of the staff. In any case, since I can no longer advocate the Mac as the best platform, I do not feel that I can in good conscience moderate in Mac-specific forums.

And yes, I know I did this last year when the Intel switch was first announced. At the time, some people convinced me to stay on until the first Intel-based Macs shipped, to see how the situation played out. Now I've seen, and the results haven't changed my position. I've been with Apple since 1984, as they made the best computers around. And now that they're ceasing to do so, I am done with them. I won't pretend that it doesn't hurt, but I'm not enough of a zealot to stay onboard just for the brand name and an OS which, while very good, doesn't carry enough advantages on its own to justify the price of the machine.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 10, 2006, 04:26 PM

Wow iTunes 6.02 got all spammy and in your face

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 10, 2006, 04:26 PM

the fact that it's thinner impressed me the most.

MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Clamshell iBook G3 366MHz | 22" Cinema Display | iPod Mini | iPod shuffle | AirPort Express | Mighty Mouse

Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2006, 04:27 PM

Let me know how OS X runs on the AMD when you get up and chugging.

Oh yeah, and:

"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 10, 2006, 04:28 PM

Millennium you are coming off as a real baby.

Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2006, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar
Well using SAT thinking, PowerBook is to MacBook as PowerMac is to MacMac?
My guess would be ProMac or MacPro

Clinically Insane
Jan 10, 2006, 04:37 PM

I still don't understand Millennium's argument. If they kept barely speed-bumping the molasses-like PowerBook G4, apparently he would have been happy as long as the processor was really cool at heart. But having a fast, efficient processor that has been severely tweaked to make it so is unacceptable…
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2006, 04:38 PM

First one seems likely enough.

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 10, 2006, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
I still don't understand Millennium's argument. If they kept barely speed-bumping the molasses-like PowerBook G4, apparently he would have been happy as long as the processor was really cool at heart. But having a fast, efficient processor that has been severely tweaked to make it so is unacceptable…
I don't get it either. It seems a total fanboy argument. He doesn't like the idea of Intel or CISC even if it means faster, better and cooler.

The only reason I liked RISC is because at the time it was faster. Not anymore.

I guess he is trying to go out in a blaze of DRAMA.

Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2006, 04:49 PM

Damn, did Millennium just get pwnt by Apple?

Y3a
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2006, 04:53 PM

At least its NOT WINDOWS!!!

We'll see how things work out over time, and see what kind of bugs shake out.

Clinically Insane
Jan 10, 2006, 04:55 PM

Yeah, Millenium,

-t

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2006, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Leia's Left Bun
What do you mean by this? (I'm sitting at work and can't download 10.4.4 or any new software, until i get home)

was everything what i dreamed of? yes it was.
all i wanted was a new version of iPhoto that looked like iTunes 6, and hopefully runs a bit smoother. I have about 7000something photos in iPhoto and I use it everday. to me, it's totally worth the price of iLife. All the new features in iPhoto impressed me so much. i *really* like the photoblogging that people can _subscribe_ to in their own iPhoto. that itself is too cool. no more will i need to have to email people photos, i can just email them the rss feed.

The hardware side of today doesn't do much for me. I'm really impressed with the claims of the speed increased on the new macs, but I bought my 17" powerbook a few months ago when they got new screens and that will hold me until they bring out a 17" MacBook Pro, and we will have had time to gauge people's remarks on the 15" MacBook Pro. call me sad, but I think the magnetic powerplug *too* cool.

I've placed my order for iLife 06 and iWork 06 and can't wait to install them.

Clinically Insane
Jan 10, 2006, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
Except that the processor isn't efficient, and the "severe tweaks" are just that: bad hacks which only making the architecture even worse. All so that gamers can measure their... um... personal lengths in MHz. Seriously. Try doing a little research on x86 sometime, and you'll see exactly why it's so horrible. What made Apple so good was that they could consistently take the best technology available and still make it accessible to people. Moving to x86 is just lowest-common-denominator crap, and the hell of it is, it's coming at the expense of the users. Apple has never priced competitively, but the x86 transition only makes this worse, and the users don't even realize that yet.

As for why I resigned my moderatorship: it would be hypocritical of me to moderate in forums dedicated to a platform that I can no longer advocate to people in good conscience. I do not intend to leave the boards entirely, at least not as long as I'm still welcome, and I don't intend to stop helping Mac users out from time to time. But if I can't advocate Macs, then I don't feel comfortable moderating in a forum devoted to them.

That's my last word on the subject. I promised the staff I'd only devote one post to this, and I'm sincerely sorry to have broken that promise. I will not break it any worse. If you want to discuss this with me any further, I'd be happy to do it over private messages or other venues.
( Last edited by Millennium; Jan 10, 2006 at 05:42 PM. )
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 10, 2006, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by mdc
What do you mean by this? (I'm sitting at work and can't download 10.4.4 or any new software, until i get home)
By default it has this constant Apple store frame at the bottom of your library. You have to turn it off.

Clinically Insane
Jan 10, 2006, 05:41 PM

So you're saying Apple's graphs are inaccurate, and those things are actually slower on the new hardware? Because otherwise it is an upgrade. I'm not using an architecture; I'm using applications. I don't care if naked gnomes make them go faster as long as they do. If IBM wasn't going to take the necessary steps with the PowerPC, I don't think the current Mac line is good enough to match up to the competition forever.

No matter how much better the PowerPC architecture is, it's useless if nobody will build on it. It's become increasingly clear over the years that Apple has been unable to find anyone willing to put serious resources into PowerPC development. So basically, I'm asking, what should Apple have done?
( Last edited by Chuckit; Jan 10, 2006 at 06:03 PM. )
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2006, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Leia's Left Bun
Just turn it off under the Edit menu: Edit > Hide Mini Store.

SImple.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

baw
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2006, 06:44 PM

PPC isn't dead. Look at the next gen game consoles.

Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2006, 06:57 PM

I wonder where Millenium got the classified information that IntelMacs will actually be slower than PowerBook G4s? How come he's the only one who seems to know this?

Or perhaps the IntelMacs are faster than PowerPC ones, in which case, what's the problem?

Oh well.

Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2006, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by RAILhead
Let me know how OS X runs on the AMD when you get up and chugging.

Oh yeah, and:

[img]retarded PC inspired humor[/img]
Listen man............................................... .....................

Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2006, 07:09 PM

ZOMG No FireWire 800. :'(

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2006, 07:21 PM

No, the products I dreamed of (and would have got out my credit card for instantly) were:

New Mac Mini to have in the living room, with both analogue and digital video outputs, remote control, Front Row
Bluetooth Mighty Mouse
New equivalent to Airport Express, but with infrared sensor for remote control, faster, and with video outputs (control Front Row via your TV screen)
iLife 06 to include Front Row for existing Mac users
iWorks to include a spreadsheet to eliminate Excel's buggy ass

The thing I'm most excited about today is finally the ability to have iTunes playing to multiple speakers.

Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2006, 07:21 PM

Yeah, I was really surprised by the lackof Firewire 800. Almost as much as I was surprised by the new megnetic power connector. Looks like I better start saving up my cash so I can buy the second revision MacBook Pro. Part of me wishes for a 12in version, part of me wishes there isn`t one so I am forces to buy a 15in version.

Plus, the built in iSight. Super cool.

Jan 10, 2006, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Millennium
Not everything I "dreamed" of, but everything I predicted. As Apple pushes the state of personal computing back by 20 years, it seems I was right all along. Jobs' relentless quest for cheap-over-good only applies to Apple's own perspective: it has no intention of passing the savings onto its userbase. Rather than improve an elegant architecture, they have chosen to go with Intel's cesspool because of a few marketing numbers, and the users will eat it up like candy.

Very well. I had hoped that Apple would take long enough to introduce these systems that I would at least be able to get one more purchase in, but I never anticipated needing a new machine this year, and this doesn't change that. It just means that I'm using my last Macs, instead of my second-to-last ones. If I'm going to be forced to use a garbage architecture like x86 in the future, I want to at least get my money's worth out of the machines I buy. With the move to Intel, particularly with the Apple tax intact as I knew it would be, Macs are no longer different enough from PCs to justify the price premium. If my next machine is to be an x86 box, it will be AMD-based -which is still burdened with x86, but at least makes some improvements over Intel's model- and run Linux. Once there, I will work toward resolving its interface issues, with the eventual goal of eliminating the remaining advantages OSX has.

I have tendered my resignation as moderator in the Developer Center, effective immediately. I am still willing to moderate platform-neutral boards, such as Web Developer where I also currently moderate, but I have left the decision as to whether or not to keep me as a moderator in the hands of the staff. In any case, since I can no longer advocate the Mac as the best platform, I do not feel that I can in good conscience moderate in Mac-specific forums.

And yes, I know I did this last year when the Intel switch was first announced. At the time, some people convinced me to stay on until the first Intel-based Macs shipped, to see how the situation played out. Now I've seen, and the results haven't changed my position. I've been with Apple since 1984, as they made the best computers around. And now that they're ceasing to do so, I am done with them. I won't pretend that it doesn't hurt, but I'm not enough of a zealot to stay onboard just for the brand name and an OS which, while very good, doesn't carry enough advantages on its own to justify the price of the machine.
Originally Posted by Millennium
Except that the processor isn't efficient, and the "severe tweaks" are just that: bad hacks which only making the architecture even worse. All so that gamers can measure their... um... personal lengths in MHz. Seriously. Try doing a little research on x86 sometime, and you'll see exactly why it's so horrible. What made Apple so good was that they could consistently take the best technology available and still make it accessible to people. Moving to x86 is just lowest-common-denominator crap, and the hell of it is, it's coming at the expense of the users. Apple has never priced competitively, but the x86 transition only makes this worse, and the users don't even realize that yet.

As for why I resigned my moderatorship: it would be hypocritical of me to moderate in forums dedicated to a platform that I can no longer advocate to people in good conscience. I do not intend to leave the boards entirely, at least not as long as I'm still welcome, and I don't intend to stop helping Mac users out from time to time. But if I can't advocate Macs, then I don't feel comfortable moderating in a forum devoted to them.

That's my last word on the subject. I promised the staff I'd only devote one post to this, and I'm sincerely sorry to have broken that promise. I will not break it any worse. If you want to discuss this with me any further, I'd be happy to do it over private messages or other venues.

I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2006, 07:38 PM

Haters!

Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 10, 2006, 07:48 PM

I think Millennium has missed the whole point of being a mac user. It never has been about what is inside the box. It is the experience of using it. There is no logic in being upset about the switch. The machines will be faster, and unless you open the "about this mac" window every time you use the computer I can't see how this will change the mac experience. Apple made great computers before PowerPC, and they will make great computers after.

Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2006, 07:51 PM

I wonder....

Had there been an internet back in the day when apple did their first processor switch, would we have seen the same sort of backlash?

Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2006, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by JoshuaZ
I wonder....

Had there been an internet back in the day when apple did their first processor switch, would we have seen the same sort of backlash?
I think a lot of the people doing some backlashing are just Intel-phobes. They look at the name and immediately start to rant. I'm not saying Millennium is this way at all, I'm just saying that I think most of the people bitching are uninformed. Not to mention that no one has even used these things yet so completely discounting them is not smart.

Think way back (sarcasm) to the intro of OS X. People flipped out. Before they ever used it they bashed it. They read rumors and op eds and crap like that and formed an uninformed opinion. Now 99% of those people are happily using OS X and would never dream of going back to Classic days. Yes OS X 10.0 wasn't what 10.4 is, but these people were arguing against any change.

There was even a backlash when Apple moved to IBM for their processors. People just don't get it. They need to learn to bite their tongues before they spit out opinions that they will end up eating in the end.

baw
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2006, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Calimus
I think Millennium has missed the whole point of being a mac user. It never has been about what is inside the box. It is the experience of using it. There is no logic in being upset about the switch. The machines will be faster, and unless you open the "about this mac" window every time you use the computer I can't see how this will change the mac experience. Apple made great computers before PowerPC, and they will make great computers after.
After reading what Millennium has said, I'm going to assume he has used Apple products since the early days of the Mac. Mac users from that era seem to be the most vocal against the Intel switch (I am one of them). Funny thing is, in Steve's younger years he was as passionate about the insides of the computer as much as the outside. You all have been consumed by the Steve Reality Distortion Field.

Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 10, 2006, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Millenium
....Once there, I will work toward resolving its interface issues, with the eventual goal of eliminating the remaining advantages OSX has..

That's pretty ballsy, I wish you the best....

And to asnwer the OP, I wasn't really dreaming of any Apple products to begin with(just hotties as usual..), realistically I can barely manage the piles of gadgets I already own.
( Last edited by shunt; Jan 10, 2006 at 08:27 PM. )
Please keep in mind the ambiguously selective general understandings we've all agreed upon...

Clinically Insane
Jan 10, 2006, 08:20 PM

Very true !

-t

Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 10, 2006, 08:25 PM

I can see you're point baw. I admit that I'm a recent switcher (first mac was a G3 ibook, I've bought 4 macs since.). So perhaps I don't have the same attachment to the "anti Intel" stance. I still don't see where the logic comes in. I'll certainly concede that RISC is a more elegant architecture, but in the end I don't see what we're holding onto besides some "feeling" that we know the cpu is designed better, but no gains in real world experience? I have no problem with anybody having their own opinion on the matter, perhaps I just haven't read enough of the arguments as to why it is such an issue.

Clinically Insane
Jan 10, 2006, 08:29 PM

perhaps I just haven't read enough of the arguments as to why it is such an issue.
Translation: you haven't been brainwashed yet ! Good for you

-t

Addicted to MacNN

Originally Posted by baw
After reading what Millennium has said, I'm going to assume he has used Apple products since the early days of the Mac. Mac users from that era seem to be the most vocal against the Intel switch (I am one of them). Funny thing is, in Steve's younger years he was as passionate about the insides of the computer as much as the outside. You all have been consumed by the Steve Reality Distortion Field.
What makes you think that Steve is no longer passionate about the whole Mac machine, inside and out? You haven't even used this machine yet, and you assume that because of what you've read that you know that Steve has stopped caring about quality and now just cares about money?

Apple is, and always has been, a company that takes risks. You could go back to the beginning of Apple and site numerous instances where they made decisions that their user base, and the oh so enlightened media tout as "wrong" or "destroying what the Mac truly is", etc. Then you can go back and look at the results of those risks. Sure they've had a couple duds, but those that the people were most vocal about panned out to be a benefit rather than a detraction. I don't understand why ever time Apple takes a risk people freak out, jump ship, call for a mutiny, and all around Apple bash. Don't they learn to wait and see (with their own eyes) what these things are really about before they jump on the bandwaggon of Apple haters?

Change is good people. Without it where would we be?

Dedicated MacNNer

Originally Posted by callimus
..It never has been about what is inside the box. It is the experience of using it.
I thought it was about not being a sheep and standing by your convictions...and not so long ago that meant being a small minority and the ups and downs that go with it.
( Last edited by shunt; Jan 10, 2006 at 08:40 PM. )
Please keep in mind the ambiguously selective general understandings we've all agreed upon...

Forum Links
Forum Rules