Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > David Bowie : A Lying Thief???

David Bowie : A Lying Thief???
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2006, 03:13 AM

A TV spot for XM Satellite Radio shows Snoop Dogg in an XM studio looking for his lost diamond encrusted necklace/medallion that spells out his name.

He calls Derek Jeter on the phone asking if he'd seen it. Then he goes to where some country gal is singing live on mic. Finally, he walks past a studio where David Bowie is working as a guest DJ.

Snoop asks David through the soundproof studio window using pantomime and exaggerated mouth gestures if he's seen the chain.

David shakes his head and looks innocently at a loss to help Snoop.

After Snoop moves on to search elsewhere David smiles wickedly and opens his sweater to reveal the chain hanging from his own neck.

Undoubtedly XM wanted to demonstrate the variety of listening choices available. What they demonstrated to me was that Bowie may be a lying thief.

The fact that he went along with the joke doesn't speak to his being a good sport, it speaks to his sense of values.

But he's a talented billionaire musical legend so who am I to talk, right?

Consider these posts as my way of introducing you to yourself.

Proud "SMACKDOWN!!" and "Golden Troll" Award Winner.

Posting Junkie
Jan 20, 2006, 03:18 AM

Huh?
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 20, 2006, 03:19 AM

I find Iman more interesting.
She was on Star Trek and has a cool accent. She's a national hero!

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!"

Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2006, 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by Leia's Left Bun
I find Iman more interesting.
She was on Star Trek and has a cool accent. She's a national hero!

[img]http://www.nndb.com/people/980/000043851/iman-face.jpg
Are they a couple?

Well, I think less of her now.

Banned
Jan 20, 2006, 03:28 AM

Why is this a thread?

Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2006, 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by Rolling Bones
Why is this a thread?

[img]http://www.trephination.net/gallery/macros/bigownedpic.jpg[]
Funny pic.

Ethics commentary isn't worthy of discussion? Funny, I thought you were nothing BUT a principled person who would find this to be stimulating fare.

Well, maybe you just led me to believe you were a person of character as a form of joke or something. Good one. I admit it, you punk'd me.

Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 20, 2006, 03:49 AM

You're all into like words and stuff...
Please keep in mind the ambiguously selective general understandings we've all agreed upon...

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 20, 2006, 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by aberdeenwriter
Are they a couple?

Well, I think less of her now.
They were/are married for ages.

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!"

Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2006, 03:54 AM

Your thread makes little sense, but, if I understand it correctly, you're implying that David Bowie is a thief, based on a television spot? Nothing like being a judge and jury, based on something that may have been made up? If so, this really proves that you need to get out more often, and discover the world around you.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2006, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by KarlG
Your thread makes little sense, but, if I understand it correctly, you're implying that David Bowie is a thief, based on a television spot? Nothing like being a judge and jury, based on something that may have been made up? If so, this really proves that you need to get out more often, and discover the world around you.
Maybe you're right.

But I still wouldn't like people to think I'm a lying thief even if I was a lying thief. And I didn't imply he was a lying thief, the commercial did and does. I just think we should understand how cultural examples breeze through our subconscious and as they do they leave seeds that germinate over the years until the crop is ready to harvest.

And we see the results of that harvest in the evening news and when that news reaches these pages we all go, "Huh, how did that happen?"

Bowie is someone young people used to look up to although I don't know if he was ever really a good role model.

Posting Junkie
Jan 20, 2006, 04:28 AM

I saw a movie once with David Bowie, and I'm convinced you're wrong.

Bowie is quite definitely a resilient and honorable war hero who'd rather die than break down in the face of the enemy. I have no idea what you're talking about.

Dude, Bowie is an ACTOR. You're talking about a ****ing TV COMMERCIAL.

What the **** is wrong with you? Please get your head checked.

Baninated
Jan 20, 2006, 04:40 AM

Stop saying things!

Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2006, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by analogika
I saw a movie once with David Bowie, and I'm convinced you're wrong.

Bowie is quite definitely a resilient and honorable war hero who'd rather die than break down in the face of the enemy. I have no idea what you're talking about.

The reason I don't agree with you is that in this TV commercial Bowie isn't playing a role, he is appearing as himself.

Try imagining your father portraying himself in a reality show and the producer asks him to steal something from one of the other characters and then lie about it when confronted.

If your father is not a lying thief then this portrayal is a betrayal of who he actually is and what he stands for. I wouldn't do it. I wouldn't expect anyone to do it unless it was a PARTICULAR kind of joke having to do with that person, let's say, actually having done time in jail for being a thief.

And while I may not be able to expect the average person to understand how and why this makes a difference, certainly Bowie or his management or the ad agency or XM should have balked.

I predict the ad will quietly be pulled.

Posting Junkie
Jan 20, 2006, 05:32 AM

riiiight.

Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2006, 05:40 AM

riiiight.
Maybe Cubeoid is right, that I should "Stop saying things!"

Clinically Insane
Jan 20, 2006, 05:49 AM

If anything, aberdeen has demonstrated It's a pretty poor commercial that does not convey its intended message very well. I do think it's stretching the point to attempt to extrapolate any degree of morality - or lack thereof - from the ad. It's just a stupid spot from a soon to be beleaguered satellite company.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2006, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
If anything, aberdeen has demonstrated It's a pretty poor commercial that does not convey its intended message very well. I do think it's stretching the point to attempt to extrapolate any degree of morality - or lack thereof - from the ad. It's just a stupid spot from a soon to be beleaguered satellite company.
{aberdeen not saying things}

Professional Poster
Jan 20, 2006, 09:20 AM

The fact that he went along with the joke doesn't speak to his being a good sport, it speaks to his sense of values.
Wow, way to take a humorous commercial way too seriously.

Next you'll complain car companies don't obey the traffic laws in their commercials, either.

BTW: Bowie's been bangin' Iman for years. They're married, and have I child, I believe.

Forum Regular
Jan 20, 2006, 09:21 AM

It's all about the Benjamins baby!
PowerBook 1.67 - www.qimcoinc.com

Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jan 20, 2006, 09:29 AM

Can we bring back the cheese threads?

Senior User
Jan 20, 2006, 09:42 AM

The reason I don't agree with you is that in this TV commercial Bowie isn't playing a role, he is appearing as himself.

Try imagining your father portraying himself in a reality show and the producer asks him to steal something from one of the other characters and then lie about it when confronted.

If your father is not a lying thief then this portrayal is a betrayal of who he actually is and what he stands for. I wouldn't do it. I wouldn't expect anyone to do it unless it was a PARTICULAR kind of joke having to do with that person, let's say, actually having done time in jail for being a thief.

And while I may not be able to expect the average person to understand how and why this makes a difference, certainly Bowie or his management or the ad agency or XM should have balked.

I predict the ad will quietly be pulled.
This is a commercial, not a reality show. Commercials involve scripts and stuff. Reality shows involve breaking down a person's morals in front of a nation of glued-to-the-TV-set viewers. There is a difference.

Oh yeah, you're just seeing this commercial now? It's been running since at least Thanksgiving. If it was going to 'quietly be pulled' it would've happened by now.

If David Bowie is a lying thief based on the XM commercial, then he must be a vampire from outer space who condemned Christ to death based on his roles in The Hunger, The Man Who Fell to Earth, and The Last Temptation of Christ.
20" iMac G5! :D AND MacBook 1.83GHz!
Canon Digital Rebel Kit + 75 - 300mm lens. Yum Yum! :D
Check out my OS X Musical Scales program

Clinically Insane
Jan 20, 2006, 09:42 AM

At least it was only Snoop's bling he stole. Some other people like stealing people's ability to watch whole episodes of popular TV shows. Because xenu told them they weren't gay.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Administrator
Jan 20, 2006, 10:08 AM

Really reading a lot into the bit, aren't you? A WHOLE LOT! It's obviously a staged, scripted ad, not the performers featured acting as themselves... It's just an ad! Let it go. BigMac is right (though I think his point about XM being "soon to be beleaguered" is in the wrong direction).

And Iman really IS hot.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Jan 20, 2006, 11:27 AM

yes.

Clinically Insane
Jan 20, 2006, 11:50 AM

How about you AND cubeoid stop saying things ?

Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2006, 11:57 AM

I saw that commercial. David Bowie straight up jacked Snoop's bling.

Clinically Insane
Jan 20, 2006, 12:02 PM

Muahahahahahaha. This thread is definitely a classic.

Professional Poster
Jan 20, 2006, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by TurboMac
It's all about the Benjamins baby!
You'll be calling me Aaron Burr by the way I drop Hamiltons!
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

Clinically Insane
Jan 20, 2006, 02:24 PM

aberdeenwriter,

-t

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 20, 2006, 02:34 PM

the fact that you're actually serious about this is retardulous.

anyway, Ellen is the funniest part of that whole commercial. and i hate Ellen.

Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2006, 03:18 PM

Like what_the_heck says, I like the thread.

It stays put.

And anyway, that commercial sounds freaking stupid.

I don't like David Bowie anyway. He's washed up.

Wait a second...

Who IS David Bowie?

Banned
Jan 20, 2006, 05:13 PM

Does this thread mean Ahnold is a robot from the future?

Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2006, 05:18 PM

I saw Bowie back in 2004. He was possibly the most charming and delightful musician/singer I've seen live (minus some opera singers who really know how to ham up a crowd).

This is a bloody ridiculous thread. As others have said, it's a commercial.

Professional Poster
Jan 20, 2006, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Cody Dawg
Who IS David Bowie?
OH NO YOU DI'NT!

The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

Jan 20, 2006, 05:25 PM

absolutely.

Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2006, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Cody Dawg
I don't like David Bowie anyway. He's washed up.
Who DO you like? Who isn't washed up in your opinion?
Honestly curious.

Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2006, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by PBG4 User
This is a commercial, not a reality show. Commercials involve scripts and stuff. Reality shows involve breaking down a person's morals in front of a nation of glued-to-the-TV-set viewers. There is a difference.

Oh yeah, you're just seeing this commercial now? It's been running since at least Thanksgiving. If it was going to 'quietly be pulled' it would've happened by now.

If David Bowie is a lying thief based on the XM commercial, then he must be a vampire from outer space who condemned Christ to death based on his roles in The Hunger, The Man Who Fell to Earth, and The Last Temptation of Christ.
With all due respect, PBG4 User, the important distinction here is that Bowie is NOT playing a fictional role in a theatrical production. He is playing DAVID BOWIE.

And the difference between him playing a fictional role and portraying himself as far as this argument goes is small. It is still wrong to steal and to lie. And to glorify that or to assume it is ok or to disregard it as being of no matter is, well, shocking.

When an actor plays a fictional character or depicts a real life person who has done bad things there has to be a bad guy or bad thing and the contrast between the good and the bad is what makes for good story telling.

But when a group of young, technologically sophisticated and intelligent people can't see that what the person David Bowie portraying the character of David Bowie did, is wrong I have to question what the breakdown is here. Is it the fact that the issue is so seemingly simple that it's difficult for some of you to grasp the complexities of what's really going on here?

Or is it that fundamental differences between right and wrong really have become diluted to simply shades of grey to this generation?

If we as Americans and Westerners can't understand the importance of values and morals and how this is not a benign or inconsequential matter then maybe OBL has a point. Maybe the West really IS a morally depraved cesspool.

Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2006, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
Really reading a lot into the bit, aren't you? A WHOLE LOT! It's obviously a staged, scripted ad, not the performers featured acting as themselves... It's just an ad! Let it go. BigMac is right (though I think his point about XM being "soon to be beleaguered" is in the wrong direction).

And Iman really IS hot.
As you seem to speak for the group let me ask if you are happy with the moral decline in America since the days of your youth?

Administrator
Jan 20, 2006, 07:31 PM

Happy with "moral decline?" No, because I don't see a "moral decline." I DO see a major decline in manners and self restraint. It's all about people taking less and less interest in the fact that others have feelings and lives of their own. This is also something that, in its extreme form, is called sociopathy. The "Me" generation gave way to the "who cares" generation, which gave way to today's "I really don't care about anything" generation-and much of their display of "I don't care" is affected; put on to impress other "I don't cares" much as the Goth look is affected.

I really don't see ANYONE (other than you, aberdeenwriter) getting upset about the ad this thread is about. Like I said before, I think you're reading much too much into the ad.

Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2006, 07:33 PM

Character matters. If you are what you eat and we all agree that a steady diet of junk food is unhealthy, then what we feed our brains is what we also will be.

I don't see the Snoop/Bowie commercial as the cause of anything directly, but just roach droppings or rat droppings that indicate there's a problem.

Let me ask all of you to answer this question:

Is stealing and lying bad?

Professional Poster
Jan 20, 2006, 07:33 PM

Someone needs to inform the guys over at ESPN that they should get some real friends. I always see them hanging out with people dressed up like animals and other objects in their commercials. What kind of message is that sending the youth? I don't know, but it's seriously messed up.

Jan 20, 2006, 07:43 PM

With all due respect, PBG4 User, the important distinction here is that Bowie is NOT playing a fictional role in a theatrical production. He is playing DAVID BOWIE.
do you not have a sense of humor? do you really not get that the ad was a JOKE! Or are there not enough things really wrong with the world for you to express your outrage at?

Oh hay, I saw the outtakes of that commercial, he totally gives the chain back after the director called cut, so it's cool. Does that make you feel better?

Maybe you should consider that perhaps the public personas actors and musicians portray--aren't really them either, but ACTING.

Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2006, 08:02 PM

Dumbest thread ever.

And that's a real accomplishment considering the competition.

Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2006, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
Happy with "moral decline?" No, because I don't see a "moral decline." I DO see a major decline in manners and self restraint. It's all about people taking less and less interest in the fact that others have feelings and lives of their own. This is also something that, in its extreme form, is called sociopathy. The "Me" generation gave way to the "who cares" generation, which gave way to today's "I really don't care about anything" generation-and much of their display of "I don't care" is affected; put on to impress other "I don't cares" much as the Goth look is affected.

I really don't see ANYONE (other than you, aberdeenwriter) getting upset about the ad this thread is about. Like I said before, I think you're reading much too much into the ad.
Well, ghporter, I think your repeating what you said before serves as much of a purpose as my restating my position.

You make the assumption that because no one else is sensitive to a thing that no one should be concerned with a thing.

Using that logic MADD would never exist. Yet, I think you'd agree that drinking and driving is a terrible thing that years ago was treated with little concern by the public or the laws.

It took one person to recognize the danger and over time we all got wise.

I am not making this a national campaign or anything but the principle is the same.

Frankly using the "I really don't see ANYONE (other than you, aberdeenwriter) getting upset about the ad this thread is about..." rationale of determining a threat is revealing.

A referee at a football game does not call the fouls or cite infractions based on what the crowd sees or how the crowd reacts. He calls them as he sees them.

Where you may be looking for popular support to determine whatever is right or wrong, I'm looking at a different standard. After years of the police and the public laughing and looking the other way at drunken driving someone with a different standard saw that the current attitudes were the ones that were wrong.

ghporter, it's just a commercial. But it's David Bowie portraying DAVID BOWIE in a commercial.

And it's something that goes into our brains and plants a seed. It's ok to steal. It's ok to lie about it.

And you say that that is OK.

And it is not, ghporter.

It is not.

And it does matter.

Clinically Insane
Jan 20, 2006, 08:05 PM

Pff, you call yourself a writer ? Stop putting out crap like that !

Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2006, 08:15 PM

It is SO clear in the commercial that Bowie's action is a harmless "office prank", not a malicious theft.

Administrator
Jan 20, 2006, 08:15 PM

Art, even advertising art, requires some "buy in" from the audience. A painting, no matter what the style, must be viewed with at least some of the painter's intented frame of mind, or the viewer won't "get it." This is true about advertising in much the same way. The ad is supposed to be playful and humorous, and it certainly is not supposed to represent any of the personalities participating as themselves. It really is a joke, but you don't seem to "get it" because you are viewing it from a completely litteral frame of mind. It would be like viewing Van Gogh's "Starry Night," and saying "It's all blurry." Of course it is-he was representing what he saw (he was, after all, an Impressionist). But it represents the wonder of the night sky, filtered through the artist's eyes AND FEELINGS.

My reference to others not being outraged was not to imply that your assertions of moral decline and societal decay were "OK." Not in the least. It was to indicate that your interpretation of what you saw was well out of the ordinary. I did not mean any offense, nor did I mean to denigrate you or your feelings. I did, however, intend to point out that your impression of the ad was not what the producers intended or what most people got out of it.

This is about an advertisement that features popular musicians and intends to get attention with humor. That's all. It does not indicate that XM wants everyone to think that stealing is a good thing-or even that it happened in the ad. The "story" in the ad is a joke played by one person on another, something that, done wrongly can indeed be hurtful. But as portrayed, the scenario is playful, not hurtful.

Finally, if you truly feel that this ad is a sign of the crumbling of Western society, write to XM's executives with your concerns. Really. They must know if their advertising has this sort of effect on viewers. Unless you let them know how unhappy you are with this ad, they cannot know that anyone was troubled by it, or that they gave anyone the wrong impression.

Here's a link to the commercial for anyone who hasn't seen it on TV. I should note that, when XM debuted, Bowie and Snoop were featured together in the initial commercial in a takeoff (sort of) of Bowie's film "The Man Who Fell To Earth." It really, REALLY looks to me like Bowie's playing a joke on Snoop, not that he stole the necklace.
( Last edited by ghporter; Jan 20, 2006 at 08:27 PM. )

Forum Regular
Jan 20, 2006, 08:24 PM

I have not seen it (DVR) but it sounds funny. Its just humor. Its a good trait to be able to poke fun at yourself.
iMac G5 20" 2.1 GHz Power Mac G4 Cube 450 MHz
my .mac

Senior User
Jan 20, 2006, 08:35 PM

Damn, dude. You took this ad way too seriously.

Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2006, 08:45 PM

I, uhhhhhh...had to. Props to Demon.

It was either that one, or Kev's "killed Superman" bit.

Dumbest thread evar.

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Forum Links
Forum Rules