Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Top Sirloin Filet or Filet Mignon?

Top Sirloin Filet or Filet Mignon?
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2006, 01:55 AM

Which cut of beef is better? Top Sirloin Filet or Filet Mignon?

I ask becuase when I go to the deli the Top Sirloin Filet is always cheaper than the Filet Mignon cuts but the Top Sirloin Filet always looks leaner and has less fat marbeling.

Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2006, 02:53 AM

More fat marbling is what you are paying the premium for. Premium steak places judge the best steaks by just that feature. Poorer cuts of steak don't have that marbling.

Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2006, 03:30 AM

So what's so good about marbling?

Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2006, 03:46 AM

More marbling = better flavor.

The sirloin will be less tender than the filet mignon, but will probably have more flavor.
( Last edited by smacintush; Jul 30, 2006 at 03:57 AM. )
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2006, 08:16 AM

Filet Mignon,

Its from the tenderloin section which is a set of muscles under the rib cage that do not get used that much by the cow. the result is buttery soft steak with lots of flavor.

I knew watching Good Eats on the food network would pay off
Michael

Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2006, 11:04 AM

Sirloin, sirloin, sirloin.

Where's tooki? Tooki will straighten you right out on the sirloin taste test!

Moderator Emeritus
Jul 30, 2006, 11:05 AM

fileT miGNon

(at my restaurant, ours is 10 oz., Peppercorn Encrusted, served with hericot verts, a shitake-potato croquette, and a roasted pepper-granny smith apple relish, and gorgonzola cream.)

: )
ice

Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2006, 11:17 AM

Yes, you encrust it with peppercorn...because it has no real taste.

But, for plain taste, a juicy piece of sirloin will taste better than filet mignon every time.

(I don't know where your restaurant is, but your meal sure does sound delish...is it The Forge?)

Moderator Emeritus
Jul 30, 2006, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Cody Dawg
I don't know where your restaurant is, but your meal sure does sound delish...is it The Forge?

heh, no. It's an 80 year old house on FTL beach converted to a restaurant. I won't name it, but I'd imagine it wouldn't be too difficult ; )
ice

Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2006, 12:15 PM

I know exactly which restaurant it is now...

And it isn't "Ocean" House.

Yes, that place is fabulous.

We have one up here in Palm Beach county and I haven't been there in years, but I used to love their salad bar. Don't know if they still have a salad bar but for the last holiday season I bought each of my physicians (obstetrician, dermatologist, pediatrician, and dentist) a $100 gift certificate to that restaurant.

This year I'll be giving out gift certificates to both Mondo's Italian in North Palm Beach (the very best Italian restaurant I've ever been to, period, and only moderately priced) and to Kee's Grill in Juno Beach - which is just fabulous.

Anyway, that's a great restaurant you work at.

Moderator Emeritus
Jul 30, 2006, 01:04 PM

There aren't two of my restaurant.

: \

p.s.
ever been to (Anthony's) Runway 84?
ice

Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2006, 01:11 PM

No.

I was thinking you were at River House restaurant.

The only other place I can think of is Shula's on the Beach and that's it.

Oh well. Just know that if you need a new restaurant to work at that River House is just awesome.

I haven't been to Runway 84...

Actually, we ride our motorcycle down A1A sometimes and may have seen it that way...take a ride down A1A from Palm Beach all the way down to South Beach (great ride, BTW) and I think I've seen it then...you recommend it? I'm not sure, though...

Posting Junkie
Jul 30, 2006, 01:20 PM

I'm a ribeye guy, myself. Ribeye at Ruth's Chris in NYC = best steak of my life.

Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2006, 01:24 PM

I hate ribeye.

I have no idea why.

It is too greasy for me - no matter where I've had it I had the greasy taste with it.

Moderator Emeritus
Jul 30, 2006, 01:54 PM

Anthony's Runway 84 is a mobster style Italian 'raunt. $6/per shrimp on a sh. cocktail, $36 filet mignon, awesome mussels, etc. Right next to the FTL Airport on SR 84.

Sun Sentinel review:

http://www.southflorida.com/dining/s...,1478552.story
ice

Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2006, 02:07 PM

Sorry Cody, you are wrong.

Filet Mignon is the better cut. It's more tender and juicier.

Of course, if you overcook any cut of meat it won't be that good. If you do a filet mignon (as previously stated, from the tenderloin) longer than medium rare, you should be shot.
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

Moderator Emeritus
Jul 30, 2006, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by davesimondotcom
If you do a filet mignon (as previously stated, from the tenderloin) longer than medium rare, you should be shot.

ice

Baninated
Jul 30, 2006, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by IceEnclosure
and gorgonzola cream.)
Poor guy....

Moderator Emeritus
Jul 30, 2006, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin
Poor guy....
just order it without?

edit: gorgonzola, the dude? lol
ice

Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2006, 02:41 PM

davesimondotcom:

I'm sorry, but you're wrong.

tooki and I and some others think:

tooki

I agree. Though it also depends on what the seasoning is, and what cut of beef it is.

For example, filet mignon has so little flavor that you either need to add flavor (as the French often do with sauces, and wrapping with bacon), or have everything else be so bland that the filet's delicate flavor can be detected. Chuck, on the other hand, is so flavorful that it's delicious with just salt and pepper, yet can stand up to heartier seasonings.

The cuts in the middle, like round and sirloin, can't stand up to seasoning, really, and I think are best dressed simply with salt and pepper.
That's directly from the barbecue thread.

Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2006, 02:51 PM

Trust me*, Cody, tenderloin is better beef than top sirloin.

It's more tender (does less work than top sirloin) and is very tasty.

Now, top sirloin is the best of the sirloins, but it's still less tender than tenderloin.

And, technically, filet mignon is a dish, not a cut of meat. It's just made with a tenderloin steak.

*Having grown up in Montana, with a ranching grandfather, a best friend whose family raises beef, and generally a red meat addict, I think I have some experitise on the subject.

Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2006, 03:01 PM

I think it's a subjective thing, doncha think?

Seriously?

I've had it.

I find it rather bland.

I'd rather have prime rib, but even prime rib is a bit bland for my taste buds.

Conversely, I don't like ribeye because it has too strong of a taste for me. I don't know why, but I distinctly do not like it no matter where or when or how served.

But I do like NY strip steak and I do like T-bone.

Have a question though: What's the difference between Porterhouse and t-bone?

Thickness?

Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2006, 03:12 PM

I think it's a subjective thing, doncha think?

Seriously?

I've had it.

I find it rather bland.

I'd rather have prime rib, but even prime rib is a bit bland for my taste buds.

Conversely, I don't like ribeye because it has too strong of a taste for me. I don't know why, but I distinctly do not like it no matter where or when or how served.

But I do like NY strip steak and I do like T-bone.

Have a question though: What's the difference between Porterhouse and t-bone?

Thickness?
I've never found tenderloin bland. But then, it depends on who is preparing it.

My favorite thing in the world is prime rib, rare (I eat all my beef rare), nice and juicy. Nothing on it except a little au jus and salt. No horseradish.

New Yorks are ok, and T-bones I don't often eat. It's so hard for them to get cooked to my taste, since each side of the bone cooks at a different rate.

A porterhouse is a t-bone that comes from further back on the cow, and has more of the tenderloin.

Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2006, 03:26 PM

At my supermarket (Publix in Florida) they sell t-bones and Porterhorses for the same amount per pound and sometimes the package says, "T-bone/Porterhouse."

So that's why I wondered.

I like my beef medium rare. But when I get prime rib it is always rare even when I order it medium rare.

I go to Longhorn to eat prime rib.

Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2006, 03:36 PM

My favorite dining experience is Sir Scott's Oasis in Manhatten. That's Manhatten, Montana, the Little Apple.

For about $22, I get veggies to snack on while waiting for stuff, rolls, a small salad, a huge 22 oz. cut of prime rib (soooooooooooo good), a baked potato and an ice cream sundae for dessert.

It's not fancy. But it's damn good.

I actually prefer my prime rib as rare as I can get it when at a restaurant, then I can eat the less rare edges when I'm there, and still have rare meat the next day when I microwave leftovers.

Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2006, 03:38 PM

I dig the cheaper cuts of meat myself. Lots of flavor there that just needs unlocking.

Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2006, 03:43 PM

See? Another person who agrees with me about the less expensive cuts of meat.

Besides, we just moved and we're on a "new house budget."

I think we'll be eating hamburgers a lot more often.

Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2006, 04:32 PM

Well, when I grill, I usually do top sirloin because it is less expensive. And I'm good on the grill and can cook them right to bring out flavor.

But I thought we were talking which is the better cut...

Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2006, 05:06 PM

Trust me*, Cody, tenderloin is better beef than top sirloin.
Better by what standard? The tenderloin is much more tender sure, but I agree with Cody on this one, I'll take a sirloin for flavor any day. Of course, you said that you eat your meat rare, so I guess for you the more tender cuts would take precedence over the less tender and more flavorful ones.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

Baninated
Jul 30, 2006, 06:29 PM

edit: gorgonzola, the dude? lol

Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2006, 06:43 PM

davesimondotcom:

How do you grill your sirloin?

I'd love a big juicy steak now...

Sigh...

Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2006, 07:51 PM

High heat is the key - sear the outside to retain the juices. I prefer not to put much else on steak than some salt and pepper or Montreal steak seasoning.

And I don't like putting anything on it until the last part of it being on the grill. That way it doesn't burn or crust.

I don't like sauces or the like, personally.

Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2006, 08:59 PM

When we renovated the kitchen of our new old house I finally treated myself to a proper range. This is a proper restaurant cooker, not a domestic model made to look pretty. The heat it pumps out is perfect to sear a steak or other things that need searing

Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2006, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Mastrap
When we renovated the kitchen of our new old house I finally treated myself to a proper range. This is a proper restaurant cooker, not a domestic model made to look pretty. The heat it pumps out is perfect to sear a steak or other things that need searing
Drool... I wish I had a gas grill. Electric just can't compare.

Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2006, 09:25 PM

fileT miGNon

(at my restaurant, ours is 10 oz., Peppercorn Encrusted, served with hericot verts, a shitake-potato croquette, and a roasted pepper-granny smith apple relish, and gorgonzola cream.)

: )

So Peppercorn is the way to go... what about a marinade?

Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2006, 10:46 PM

I'm so jealous of that stove of yours, Mastrap.

I love my kitchen with the double wall ovens (one is a convection also), wall microwave (also convection), and electric induction cooktop, but I would love to have an indoor grill also. My current kitchen is my "dream kitchen" sort of...because I would love to have an island in the kitchen with a gas grill also.

My husband says I'm silly. We just bought a beautiful stainless steel grill with all the bells and whistles, but it is outside on the patio so I think it's not as good, though I know intellectually that it's very nice. I guess I am silly - or greedy and not appreciative. I DO appreciate what I have, but there is something about an indoor grill...

Anyway, tonight we bought both a piece of sirloin and a t-bone and he'll grill both.

We always rub our beef with butter and rosemary and sugar (yes, my husband sprinkles a little sugar on them also and it caramelizes with the butter and makes a wonderful glaze) and then grill them, salt and pepper (freshly cracked) afterwards, then let it rest for about 10 minutes. I love his grilled beef.

Mac Enthusiast
Jul 31, 2006, 02:19 AM

If you do a filet mignon (as previously stated, from the tenderloin) longer than medium rare, you should be shot.
HOO-HAH!!!

(that's why for this particular thread, i'll go with top sirloin)

Don't bully me, I got an Uzi... HOO-HAH!

Moderator Emeritus
Jul 31, 2006, 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by Tyler McAdams
So Peppercorn is the way to go... what about a marinade?
Our sirloin at my restaurant is marinated in a spinach pesto. It's pretty dang good.

My favorite sauce for a steak would be a peppercorn sauce. I'm the guy that slathers such things on a perfectly medium-rare prime rib, tenderloin, whatever. If I have no sauce for my steak, just some salt/pepper or montreal while cooking.
ice

Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2006, 03:06 AM

Our sirloin at my restaurant is marinated in a spinach pesto. It's pretty dang good.

My favorite sauce for a steak would be a peppercorn sauce. I'm the guy that slathers such things on a perfectly medium-rare prime rib, tenderloin, whatever. If I have no sauce for my steak, just some salt/pepper or montreal while cooking.

Wow... all of those things sound good! I'll have to try all of them.

As far as the further cooked than medium rare thing I think so too. Since I moved in to my new place I have not been able to grill out so I've been pan frying the steak for about 5min on either side then I put it in the oven at 350 for about 10min. This makes a great medium rare steak!

Professional Poster
Jul 31, 2006, 03:50 PM

When we renovated the kitchen of our new old house I finally treated myself to a proper range.
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

Professional Poster
Jul 31, 2006, 04:02 PM

We have one up here in Palm Beach county and I haven't been there in years, but I used to love their salad bar. Don't know if they still have a salad bar but for the last holiday season I bought each of my physicians (obstetrician, dermatologist, pediatrician, and dentist) a $100 gift certificate to that restaurant.
You spent $400 so already rich people could eat at a fancy restaurant? I ate all summer on less than $400, and I definitely ate well. Just imagine how many a homeless shelter could feed with an extra $400 of food.

Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2006, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Gossamer
You spent $400 so already rich people could eat at a fancy restaurant? I ate all summer on less than $400, and I definitely ate well. Just imagine how many a homeless shelter could feed with an extra $400 of food.
It depends on if they want the salad bar with their meal or not.

Y3a
Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2006, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by mac128k-1984
Filet Mignon,

Its from the tenderloin section which is a set of muscles under the rib cage that do not get used that much by the cow. the result is buttery soft steak with lots of flavor.

I knew watching Good Eats on the food network would pay off
AB RULES!!

Addicted to MacNN
Jul 31, 2006, 05:23 PM

Gossamer:

You don't understand in the least.

These people that you call "rich" are probably well off, but not rich. They are working professionals just like some of the people here at MacNN.

Secondly, they have the ability to save me hundreds of dollars a year because of the way that they bill me or write up a hospital stay (using medical billing codes). My pediatrician, for example, gave us free samples of a very expensive medication that would have easily cost $100 because our insurance policy does not cover it.

So, I hardly mind thanking people who take care of my family AND save me money with the gift a good meal at a nice restaurant during the holiday season.

Besides, health care professionals - anyone in the health care field - deserve a break now and then also...they have dedicated their lives to helping others.

Moderator Emeritus
Jul 31, 2006, 05:25 PM

When we renovated the kitchen of our new old house...
forgot to mention - that's awesome!
ice

Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2006, 06:00 PM

So, if filet has a better flavor, why is it almost always wrapped in bacon or covered in bleu cheese or parmesan or asparagus or peppercorns?

Give me a good sirloin any day - that's what you eat if you want a steak that tastes like STEAK.

Addicted to MacNN
Jul 31, 2006, 06:07 PM

YEAH!

(I can tell a real meat lover with a statement like awaspaas's!)

Addicted to MacNN
Jul 31, 2006, 06:17 PM

You know what? I am actually turning into much more of a vegetarian these days. I mean, I love a good steak, but I am finding that I much rather have it less but then the best I can afford.

Professional Poster
Jul 31, 2006, 06:40 PM

You know what? I am actually turning into much more of a vegetarian these days. I mean, I love a good steak, but I am finding that I much rather have it less but then the best I can afford.

Most people (maybe it's an America thing) eat a lot more meat than they probably should. I love meat, but vegetable variety just as much. I much prefer these days to have only half of one of today's enormous chicken breasts, with a few delicious sides and a final-course salad, than put a whole one in my stomach. I get more leftovers that way, anyhow.

Above this, however, I prefer slightly more expensive, well-raised, high-quality meat, smaller portions, to buying and eating a lot of the cheap stuff.

More money more flavor more health.
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2006, 04:36 AM

Well I had Top Sirloin last night and a Filet Migno and I've got to say i enjoyed the Filet Migno better. It was noticibly more tender. I guess that's due to the marbling.

Forum Links
Forum Rules