Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Music on New B&W Jaguar TV Commercial

Music on New B&W Jaguar TV Commercial
Professional Poster
Aug 11, 2006, 08:14 PM

Music on New B&W Jaguar TV Commercial

I really like the music on the new Jaguar TV spot.

Here's the info on it.

SEARCH:
splendid > reviews > 2/21/2005

Diamond Nights
Once We Were Diamonds EP
Kemado

Format Reviewed: CD

Soundclip: "The Girl's Attractive"

Any discussion of Diamond Nights must perforce begin with "The Girl's Attractive" -- not merely because it has the potential to be a massive, towering mainstream hit, but because it sounds like nothing else in the band's recorded canon. And what does it sound like? Well, put it this way: if Billy Idol doesn't want to put a whole lot of work into his upcoming comeback bid, he could just buy the master and send it to the pressing plant. Diamond Nights vocalist Morgan Phalen can't pretend he isn't channeling Idol here, but it's a restrained performance, held steady at roughly 70 percent of Idol's lip-curling intensity. As for the tune itself, there's enough of a melodic and rhythmic resemblance to "White Wedding" that you'll sing "Hey little sister shotgun" under your breath the first few times you hear it, but Diamond Nights' own lyrics aren't bad, either; soon enough, you'll relish the opportunity to sing "She looks good / the girl's attractive" with Phalen. You can even do that new wave clicky glottal stop thing as you say "attractive". Bonus!

The EP's other four songs are solid as well -- they're just different. Specifically, they're the sort of retro power-metal favored by guys with shag haircuts and sleeveless t-shirts who refer to the Spirit of Rock as if it's a living, breathing creature that leaves silver guitar picks under children's pillows. Needless to say, there's an undercurrent of irony in the band's swaggering, melodic rock, but it's relatively subtle. There's no smirk behind Phalen's falsetto in balls-out opener "Destination Diamonds" -- just luridly ludicrous lyrics, choppy, chugging guitar goodness and healthy overuse of the cymbals. "Dirty Thief" takes a slightly bluesier bar-band approach, while "Saturday Fantastic" orchestrates a collision of early nineties alt-rock and eighties AOR, with -- you guessed it --plenty of falsetto.

Listeners in their mid-to-late thirties will have a soft spot for the EP-closing pseudo-instrumental "Buddies" (it's a pseudo-instrumental because, although the band members vocalize at the tune's end, they don't actually sing recognizable words -- just the word "buddies" drawn out to eight or nine syllables). The masterstroke here is the inclusion of a cheesy -- but very era-appropriate -- synthesizer, which makes "Buddies" sound like it's part of the soundtrack from one of those straight-to-video sex comedies where a group of horny guys try to get laid, the hero trains for a crucial drag race/motorcycle race/swim meet/skiing competition against his new girlfriend's ******** ex, and we see the bare breasts of a bunch of young blonde women, possibly including a movie or TV star's less talented younger sister. Can the revival of Grant Cramer's acting career be far behind?

http://www.splendidezine.com/review....08118901614396
Give petty people just a little bit of power and watch how they misuse it! You can't silence the self doubt, can you?

Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2006, 09:56 PM

Ya I liked that commercial. I also liked the music in the other Jaguar commercial, for the XJ sedan.

mojo2  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 12, 2006, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan
Ya I liked that commercial. I also liked the music in the other Jaguar commercial, for the XJ sedan.
Yeah. Me too. Was it the Stones?
Give petty people just a little bit of power and watch how they misuse it! You can't silence the self doubt, can you?

Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2006, 01:46 PM

Here's the website with all of the commercials, as well as the soundtracks. Unfortunately I can't get any of it to play...

http://www.jaguarusa.com/us/en/compa...television.htm

Forum Links
Forum Rules