Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > How much is my Dell Inspiron 8600 worth?

How much is my Dell Inspiron 8600 worth?
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 17, 2006, 08:16 PM

Hey everyone I'm new to the board and not quite sure if this is the place to be posting this question so moderators please move if deemed necessary.

I currently have a Dell Inspiron 8600 that I purchased in 2004 and I want to get a macbook to replace it. The Dell operates fine and I'm just trying to get a handle on what it may be worth. I've been watchin eBay auctions that contain dell inspiron 8600 similar to mine but the prices have been pretty fluctuating so I have no idea what the value of mine is.

Here are the specs that I could dig up (not tech savvy, sorry!)

Dell Inspiron 8600 (yr 2004) used

Windows XP Home Edition

Intel Pentium M

1.5 Ghz

512 MB ram

55GB HD

DVD/CD-RW Drive

around a 15inch display

Thats about all i know about to scrap up information, so if anyone can help me out with a price range I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

Best,
Nick
( Last edited by Poo21; Aug 17, 2006 at 08:22 PM. )

Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2006, 08:18 PM

eBay is your friend. search your model and then click "completed auctions" to see what the final price of the laptop was sold for.
F = ma

Poo21  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 17, 2006, 08:23 PM

I tried that, maybe the prices are just all over the place and it will be hit or miss idk

Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2006, 09:20 PM

you can also check craigslist to see what people are selling their stuff for. the only problem is that you won't know if someone's actually bought it and at what price.

because pc's depreciate so quickly, if i was in your position, i'd be content to let it go for $500.
F = ma

Posting Junkie
Aug 17, 2006, 09:25 PM

$800 is my guess.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Posting Junkie
Aug 17, 2006, 10:04 PM

yeah, about $800

Poo21  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 17, 2006, 10:09 PM

hey thank you for the advice and feedback everyone, anyone know of a popular place to sell at besides eBay??

Addicted to MacNN
Aug 17, 2006, 10:40 PM

Somewhere between $400 and $800.

Addicted to MacNN
Aug 17, 2006, 10:56 PM

How About Getting A Clue When Your First Thread About This Very Same Thing Is Locked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
no one else help him out, he is the owner of the computer. he or she can do the research themselves
Alex

Poo21  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 17, 2006, 11:31 PM

Hey xxxxxxxx how about I accidently posted the thread when I was only halfway done with it. Way to be a jerk and greet new members with such open arms, and if you would read the post I have been doing my own research. I'm just looking for the advice of other member who are more knowledgeable when it comes to computers. There was no need to for you to respond if you were going to just spread hate...smh

KNOCK OFF THE OBSCENITY> Glenn
( Last edited by ghporter; Aug 18, 2006 at 09:11 AM. )

Administrator
Aug 18, 2006, 09:13 AM

Take it easy and act like an adult, OK? There's no need to get aggressive or defensive; people make mistakes. And this is a pretty strong minded, and sometimes harsh group of people who post here, with strong opinions and sometimes harsh words. What's it hurt you?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Professional Poster
Aug 18, 2006, 09:23 AM

Mabye you can post in the Marketplace forum and see if anybody will buy it there

(P.S. This might be off topic but how much would a scratched-up iBook G4+a iPod mini sell for? )
( Last edited by C.A.T.S. CEO; Aug 18, 2006 at 07:20 PM. )
Signature depreciated.

Poo21  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 18, 2006, 06:54 PM

this is a pretty strong minded, and sometimes harsh group of people who post here, with strong opinions and sometimes harsh words. What's it hurt you?
It didn't hurt me at all. I'm a strong minded person myself and when I feel that I need help on something like I currently do on the value of my laptop I'm going to reach out to people who will be curtious enough to give me constructive advice. I also have strong opinions like you mention a lot of this forums' users do. You say they sometimes use harsh words, well obviously I did in your opinion. I apoligize for using obscene language, in my opinion it wasn't but in this setting it is your call and judgement. I understand that. Hope this clears some things up.

Administrator
Aug 18, 2006, 07:13 PM

Thanks. I felt your reply was over the top, but it looks like you understand my actions.

I agree with C.A.T.S CEO about checking the Marketplace forum, as well as checking both your local Craiglist and eBay for what your 8600 is going for. I personally think $800 is too high-the 8600 has been out for years and for $800 you can get a newer model with more power straight from Dell.

Addicted to MacNN
Aug 18, 2006, 07:46 PM

the mods need to get things straightened out. one locks the other thread and this one stays open. gotta keep all decisions the same ya guys
and to the OP, an apology please. said sorry about what you did, but not to me. and yes, calling some an "asshole" is inappropriate at ALL times, wether you believe that or not.
Alex
( Last edited by brassplayersrock²; Aug 18, 2006 at 08:01 PM. )

Administrator
Aug 18, 2006, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock
the mods need to get things straightened out. one locks the other thread and this one stays open. gotta keep all decisions the same ya guys
and to the OP, an apology please. said sorry about what you did, but not to me.
Alex
Can you explain your first paragraph? I don't see what you're getting at.

I agree that Poo21 should appologize to you, but maybe just not getting blasted again is enough to hope for. I see much anger in this one.

Forum Regular
Aug 18, 2006, 08:14 PM

Poo21, you might also see what Mac of all trades will give you for it. I traded an Inspiron 5100 to them for an iBook about a year and a half ago and they were a joy to do business with.

And $800 is probably too much. Around $500 is probably more on target.
iMac 17" 2GHz Core2Duo | 1GB RAM | 160GB hdd | Superdrive | Tiger and XP Pro

Addicted to MacNN
Aug 18, 2006, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
Can you explain your first paragraph? I don't see what you're getting at.
a picture of his original thread with a lock in front of the title :

and ghporter, thank you for thinking that I am owed an apology as well.

Alex

Professional Poster
Aug 18, 2006, 08:43 PM

My vote is for our Mods to bring the hammer down.

I mean, this is a Mac forum and there is a dedicated Marketplace section.

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

Administrator
Aug 18, 2006, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock
a picture of his original thread with a lock in front of the title :

and ghporter, thank you for thinking that I am owed an apology as well.

Alex
That one was apparently a duplicate and one of the mods saw that and closed it. Typically I delete dupes because it causes this sort of problem.

DeathToWindows, this is the Lounge...and it's not limited to Mac issues. In fact, a lot of our forums aren't limited to Macs-take a look at Networking some time-lots of issues with other types of machines as well as with Macs.

Poo21  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 18, 2006, 11:13 PM

brassplayersrock, "inappropriate at ALL times, wether you believe that or not." That is your opinion, if I feel your treating me like one (asshole) then I'm going to say that is how you are acting towards me. I could care less if YOU think it is appropriate or not. Apoligize to you? Please...smh

Professional Poster
Aug 18, 2006, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by Poo21
brassplayersrock, "inappropriate at ALL times, wether you believe that or not." That is your opinion, if I feel your treating me like one (asshole) then I'm going to say that is how you are acting towards me. I could care less if YOU think it is appropriate or not. Apoligize to you? Please...smh
Stop cussing and be nice or your going to get baninated.
Signature depreciated.

Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2006, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by Poo21
This is a weak argument.

You have attempted to invalidate Alex's objection to your profanity (an objection also held by a moderator, mind you) by dismissing it as opinion, the implication being that opinions hold no weight.

At the same time, you justify your use of profanity by noting that it is your opinion ("I feel your..."), the implication being that you must be allowed to express your opinion, regardless of any use of profanity doing so might entail.

Furthermore, it is my opinion (uh oh!) that Alex's inital response was well within expected parameters--one thread was locked, and an identical thread was created. Because this new thread made no mention or explaination as to the previous, locked thread, the assumption that a re-post was made to circumvent the lock is only natural. You should have made this clear in your initial post.

Additionally, your reaction to Alex's post was childish at best. If you expect a warm welcome, please try to act with some semblance of civility (your continued use of profanity does nothing but exacerbate the situation, by the way), especially when dealing with a simple misunderstanding.

cheers,
-Loki

PS--I agree that you should apologize to Alex, at the very least to regain some respect if nothing else.

"In a world without walls or fences, what need have we for windows or gates?"

Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2006, 11:39 AM

I sold the same 8600 setup last Christmas for $600, so you know.

Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2006, 11:54 AM

Poo, you don't have to apologize for anything. Brass should quit trying to play moderator since he isn't one. Who cares if he posts here, you didn't have to even click into the thread. The guy has a valid LOUNGE question.

Poo, don't cuss or you will be out of here. Only people with green starts under their name get to say those words. Sorry, but it is true. You have to prove yourself first I guess.

On topic: Good luck selling an older computer, your best bet is probably trying to find a friend that has a grandma or a kid in need of a computer. Sell it to them at a pretty steep discount and chalk up the loss you took as karma coming back in a positive way to help you purchase your new computer.

Addicted to MacNN
Aug 19, 2006, 03:44 PM

if thinking someone is an ahole for such a small thing as using a capped letter for everyword and using a lot of !!!!!! at the end of a sentence then I guess there are a lot of aholes in your world. oh well.

still waiting for that apology poo

Alex

ps
thank you loki74

Professional Poster
Aug 19, 2006, 03:51 PM

brassplayersrock pooped in my Marketplace thread last month. Don't listen to that imbecile.

Addicted to MacNN
Aug 19, 2006, 04:01 PM

you're still upset about the box thing? did it ever sell?

for those not in the know:
this guy was selling a mbp box for $40. I decided to voice what I thought about the price, and he tried to justify the price yadda yadda. Oh well

Alex
( Last edited by brassplayersrock²; Aug 19, 2006 at 04:13 PM. )

Clinically Insane
Aug 19, 2006, 07:37 PM

WTF ?

This thread is open again ?

WTF ?

-t

Administrator
Aug 19, 2006, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by what_the_heck
WTF ?

This thread is open again ?

WTF ?

-t
This particular thread was never closed. ANOTHER one of the same title WAS-I don't know by whom. After looking at that one, I'm not sure why it was closed and the same person didn't close this one to start with.

Mac Enthusiast
Aug 19, 2006, 08:51 PM

Your Dell is probably worth around $400-600 I'd say, depending on who you sell it to.

Forum Links
Forum Rules