Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Conclusive proof of Dark Matter; it really exists.

Conclusive proof of Dark Matter; it really exists.
Thread Tools
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Dec 1999
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 22, 2006, 02:41 PM
 
Dark Matter Exists | Cosmic Variance

Holy cow. This is one of the biggest days in cosmology. Actual proof of Dark Matter. This means that only about 5% of our known universe is made up of what we call normal matter! Whoa.

Anyway, Einstein's General Relativity doesn't work too well as you move out to encompase the entire universe. So now that we can directly observe Dark Matter and its interactions, we can develop new theories that will help refine General Relativity and our understanding of the universe.

I smell a Nobel Prize in Physics in the workings.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 22, 2006, 02:52 PM
 
Originally Posted by olePigeon
Dark Matter Exists | Cosmic Variance

Holy cow. This is one of the biggest days in cosmology. Actual proof of Dark Matter. This means that only about 5% of our known universe is made up of what we call normal matter! Whoa.

Anyway, Einstein's General Relativity doesn't work too well as you move out to encompase the entire universe. So now that we can directly observe Dark Matter and its interactions, we can develop new theories that will help refine General Relativity and our understanding of the universe.

I smell a Nobel Prize in Physics in the workings.
What does this all mean? Normal Matter + Dark Matter = Doesn't Matter?
( Last edited by hyteckit; Aug 22, 2006 at 04:19 PM. )
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Nov 1999
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 22, 2006, 03:08 PM
 
That sound you heard was my head exploding as I read the article.

Not trying to say one way or the other whether or not I believe this, as I honestly have no clue. The article doesn't seem to do the best job of explaining this, however:
Originally Posted by TFA
This collision has done exactly what we want — it’s swept out the ordinary matter from the clusters, displacing it with respect to the dark matter (and the galaxies, which act as collisionless particles for these purposes).
I'm not sure I understand this: when I look at the pictures, it seems to me as though the dark matter is still overlapping with the ordinary matter. Am I missing something here?
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: detroit,mi,usa
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 22, 2006, 03:10 PM
 
it doesn't matter.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Dec 1999
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 22, 2006, 03:13 PM
 
Originally Posted by Millennium
I'm not sure I understand this: when I look at the pictures, it seems to me as though the dark matter is still overlapping with the ordinary matter. Am I missing something here?
You're correct. Dark matter doesn't interract with normal matter, except possibly by weak forces, but it does interact with gravity.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts
     
Forum Regular
Join Date: Jan 2005
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 22, 2006, 03:21 PM
 
Originally Posted by olePigeon
You're correct. Dark matter doesn't interract with normal matter, except possibly by weak forces, but it does interact with gravity.
It's overlapping, but the collision separated its concentration enough from normal matter that gravitational lensing from even more distant galaxies focuses around the dark matter rather than the actual matter. It's like there's a flashlight off in the distance, and you have a device that can measure its shape. Between the flashlight at this device, there is a lens you can see and an invisible lens, but you aren't sure the invisible lens exists, you only theorize its existence. Because normally the lenses are basically directly on top of each other, you can't be sure it's really 2 lenses or if something else is going on. Then pretend something happens to separate the lenses. You can now see how the light is bent differently, and thus conclude that there are indeed 2 lenses. I hope that clarifies it a bit.
g4/1.5 GHz 12 inch powerbook / 1.25 RAM / 80 gig / Superdrive / 10.5.6
g3/400 MHz Pismo / 640 RAM / 40 gig / Combo Drive / 10.3.9
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Dec 1999
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 22, 2006, 03:29 PM
 
Originally Posted by Kyros
It's overlapping, but the collision separated its concentration enough from normal matter that gravitational lensing from even more distant galaxies focuses around the dark matter rather than the actual matter. It's like there's a flashlight off in the distance, and you have a device that can measure its shape. Between the flashlight at this device, there is a lens you can see and an invisible lens, but you aren't sure the invisible lens exists, you only theorize its existence. Because normally the lenses are basically directly on top of each other, you can't be sure it's really 2 lenses or if something else is going on. Then pretend something happens to separate the lenses. You can now see how the light is bent differently, and thus conclude that there are indeed 2 lenses. I hope that clarifies it a bit.
At that distance, light is bent by gravity so much that you get all sorts of optical anomalies. They had to rules those out, first.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts
     
Forum Regular
Join Date: Jan 2005
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 22, 2006, 03:31 PM
 
Originally Posted by olePigeon
At that distance, light is bent by gravity so much that you get all sorts of optical anomalies. They had to rules those out, first.
I do realize I explained in a simplistic way, that was the idea, after all.
g4/1.5 GHz 12 inch powerbook / 1.25 RAM / 80 gig / Superdrive / 10.5.6
g3/400 MHz Pismo / 640 RAM / 40 gig / Combo Drive / 10.3.9
     
Professional Poster
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Pretentiously Retired.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 22, 2006, 03:37 PM
 
Originally Posted by Millennium
I'm not sure I understand this: when I look at the pictures, it seems to me as though the dark matter is still overlapping with the ordinary matter. Am I missing something here?
True, but if you look at the two pictures, the highest concentrations of dark matter appear to be in two circles at the horizontal thirds of the picture, while the ordinary matters appears to be concentrated at the center.

Two distinct locations.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Dec 1999
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 22, 2006, 05:07 PM
 
Originally Posted by Kyros
I do realize I explained in a simplistic way, that was the idea, after all.
I was just elaborating for anyone else reading.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts
     
   
Thread Tools
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:10 AM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2015 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2