Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Weird driving question (hand brake)

Weird driving question (hand brake)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2006, 09:27 PM

Alright so i got up kinda early to drive to the local store, and drove for about 1 mile with the hand brake on. ( i was wondering why the car wasnt going as fast as usual) but it didnt occur to me that i might have left the hand brake on. Anyway, i got out and i could obviously smell a little burnt rubber. ive never done this before, so was wondering how bad is it ? do i need a new car ? what do i do next ?

Cheers

( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Sep 23, 2006 at 09:38 PM. )

Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2006, 09:37 PM

You are fine, just hot brakes. No biggie at all.

Professional Poster
Sep 23, 2006, 09:45 PM

I've wondered the harm as well.

Posting Junkie
Sep 23, 2006, 09:55 PM

I've done it before a few times in the Xterra, it's fine.

Senior User
Sep 23, 2006, 10:04 PM

if the rear brakes are disc brakes, that amount of heat could lead to warped rotors, but it depends...

Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2006, 10:09 PM

Thats totally above my head. I got a 1987 (elcheapo) Nissan Pintara, if that means anything.
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Sep 23, 2006 at 10:26 PM. )

Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2006, 10:12 PM

™£ i've done this as well, no biggie, but i was heavily worried about my car for a bit

Clinically Insane
Sep 24, 2006, 12:44 AM

You should be ok.

If you are worried, I guess you gotta go to some auto garage and get it checked.

-t

Professional Poster
Sep 24, 2006, 02:00 AM

I might be cheaper to buy another 1987 Nissan Pintara than take it to a shop to get it checked.

Addicted to MacNN
Sep 24, 2006, 02:08 AM

"When I get a rental car, I usually don't know a lot about it, so I do things like driving for ten miles with the emergency brake on. That doesn't say a lot for me, but it really doesn't say a lot for the 'emergency' brake. It's not really an emergency brake, it's an emergency make-the-car-smell-funny lever."

-Mitch Hedberg

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Clinically Insane
Sep 24, 2006, 02:22 AM

That happened to me once. I took my car in for an oil change, and the guy turned on the parking brake — but he didn't pull it all the way, so I didn't notice and just drove on to work. I remember thinking, "Boy, this car responds strangely to an oil change." Then I actually tried to turn the parking brake on and realized what had happened. Really embarrassing.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Posting Junkie
Sep 24, 2006, 02:23 AM

It will only wear your breaks down a little... very little...

Nothing to worry about.

Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2006, 02:26 AM

agreed... nothing at all to worry about.

Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2006, 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a
Alright so i got up kinda early to drive to the local store, and drove for about 1 mile with the hand brake on. ( i was wondering why the car wasnt going as fast as usual) but it didnt occur to me that i might have left the hand brake on. Anyway, i got out and i could obviously smell a little burnt rubber. ive never done this before, so was wondering how bad is it ? do i need a new car ? what do i do next ?

Cheers

You will need a new car

Addicted to MacNN
Sep 24, 2006, 06:02 AM

trust me, i know i need a new car either way ... this was my college car, but now since ive graduated, i need something better. but as u might have guessed, i know f-all about "automobiles".

Cheers for your help guys.

Administrator
Sep 24, 2006, 08:06 AM

That Nissan sounds like it has drum rear brakes. You smelled hot brake pad material, nothing more. And you may have stretched the handbrake's cable a bit too, but they're designed to be adjusted so that's no biggie either. Didn't the red light on the console give you a hint though? Anyway, one mile or so won't hurt you that much, and brake pads are inexpensive.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Addicted to MacNN
Sep 24, 2006, 09:48 AM

Drum brakes don't have pads, they have shoes.

Administrator
Sep 24, 2006, 11:57 AM

Ok, I meant "brake shoe material" and "brake shoes." It's hard to remember drum brakes anymore...I haven't had to mess with them for a long time.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2006, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Agasthya
I might be cheaper to buy another 1987 Nissan Pintara than take it to a shop to get it checked.

Posting Junkie
Sep 24, 2006, 12:09 PM

Mitch Hedberg...

When I get a rental car, I usually don't know a lot about it, so I do things like driving for ten miles with the emergency brake on. That doesn't say a lot for me, but it really doesn't say a lot for the "emergency" brake. It's not really an emergency brake, it's an emergency make-the-car-smell-funny lever.

Moderator Emeritus
Sep 25, 2006, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey
"When I get a rental car, I usually don't know a lot about it, so I do things like driving for ten miles with the emergency brake on. That doesn't say a lot for me, but it really doesn't say a lot for the 'emergency' brake. It's not really an emergency brake, it's an emergency make-the-car-smell-funny lever."

-Mitch Hedberg
Originally Posted by Jawbone54
Mitch Hedberg...

Quote:
When I get a rental car, I usually don't know a lot about it, so I do things like driving for ten miles with the emergency brake on. That doesn't say a lot for me, but it really doesn't say a lot for the "emergency" brake. It's not really an emergency brake, it's an emergency make-the-car-smell-funny lever.
Hmm deja vu

Posting Junkie
Sep 25, 2006, 12:45 PM

Usually the e-brake on an older vehicle is slightly worn out anyways (if it even still works), I wouldn't worry about it....everyone that has owned a manual transmission car has done it at least once.

Professional Poster
Sep 25, 2006, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by sek929
Usually the e-brake on an older vehicle is slightly worn out anyways (if it even still works), I wouldn't worry about it....everyone that has owned a manual transmission car has done it at least once.
I never did that when my daily driver was a manual
I did do it in a borrowed '78 F150 one time, but it took me about half a block to realize something was wrong and fix it.

But it helps that in any of the cars I've owned, if the handbrake is pulled even one click, a light should come on. And if it's fully engaged, then that means to go I have to literally drag the rear tires.

Posting Junkie
Sep 25, 2006, 12:50 PM

I did a few times, but my e-brake would barely keep me from rolling anyways, so it wasn't a big deal.

Plus this was on an old 92 Jetta, before the buzzing idiot sound was invented.

Forum Regular
Sep 25, 2006, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by sek929
Never done it on my manual tranny vehicles, ever. That's because with a standard, I always engage the parking/emergency brake when parking (I always put the brake on, and the gear shift in reverse when I park my 5-speed).

In automatic tranny cars, yeah, I've done it a few times, usually when some shop flunky has parked it with it on. Since you only need it on inclines with an automatic, I usually don't expect it to be on.

Speaking of which, why don't they just make a lockout switch, so you can't shift an auto out of park if the emergency brake is on? I mean, most cars require the brake pedal to be depressed to shift out of park, so why not add the emergency brake to that interlock?
"No footprints when we're gone. Only where we've been, a faint and fading glow" Bruce Cockburn

Professional Poster
Sep 25, 2006, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by drmbb2
Speaking of which, why don't they just make a lockout switch, so you can't shift an auto out of park if the emergency brake is on? I mean, most cars require the brake pedal to be depressed to shift out of park, so why not add the emergency brake to that interlock?
I don't know how good of an answer this is, but sometimes when I'm parked on a steep incline, I like to put it in drive before taking the handbrake off, otherwise it feels like there's a lot of stress on the transmission when shifting out of park.

Addicted to MacNN
Sep 25, 2006, 02:09 PM

You head's gonna asplode.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Baninated
Sep 25, 2006, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a

Cheers

You smelt overheated brake pad material. Most likely, brake shoes inside your drum. It's fine. Brakes are made to get hot, but don't do that in the future.

Baninated
Sep 25, 2006, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by hookem2oo7
if the rear brakes are disc brakes, that amount of heat could lead to warped rotors, but it depends...
That's totally wrong. Rotors do not warp. Before you argue with me, read this article:

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...rakedisk.shtml

Baninated
Sep 25, 2006, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by chabig
Drum brakes don't have pads, they have shoes.
Brakes shoes have the same **** as brake pads on them. It's the same stuff, on different pieces of metal.

Baninated
Sep 25, 2006, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by Gossamer
I don't know how good of an answer this is, but sometimes when I'm parked on a steep incline, I like to put it in drive before taking the handbrake off, otherwise it feels like there's a lot of stress on the transmission when shifting out of park.
That's a good idea. I do that also, when driving an auto. Ugh. I hate autos.

Admin Emeritus
Sep 26, 2006, 12:12 AM

FYI: the fact that the hand brake is in no way suitable for emergencies is the reason that they haven't called it the "emergency brake" for years. It's now officially the "parking brake", which is really all it's good for.

tooki

Professional Poster
Sep 26, 2006, 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by tooki
FYI: the fact that the hand brake is in no way suitable for emergencies is the reason that they haven't called it the "emergency brake" for years. It's now officially the "parking brake", which is really all it's good for.

tooki
Yeah...locking up two of your wheels is probably not the best thing to do when in danger, especially with all of the traction control and ABS we have nowadays.

Forum Links
Forum Rules