Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > 13 Year Old Charged With Over 100 Felonies

13 Year Old Charged With Over 100 Felonies
Baninated
Mar 15, 2007, 09:31 AM

13 Year Old Charged With Over 100 Felonies

Mar 13 2007 6:53AM

NELSONVILLE, Ohio -- Andrew Riley faced 128 felony charges Tuesday that included theft, vandalism and intimidation, but he is no adult; he is a seventh grader.

Riley, 13, is accused of burglary, theft, stolen property and vandalism. It stems from a crime spree that the Athens County assistant prosecutor said lasted a year.

"He's so young, we need to try and get him rehabilitated through the system," said Assistant Prosecutor Keller Blackburn.

Blackburn said the Full Brooks Cafe was one of his many targets. Owner Miki Brooks said the restaurant has been robbed twice.

"It sort of took all the air out of me the first time," said Brooks. "The second time, I couldn't believe it."

His family did not deny he has been in trouble, but they said he could not commit so many crimes.

"Honestly, you know, we are baffled by all the charges," said stepfather James Blake. "We suspected a few could come out of this, but nothing like what's been going over."

The charges came after a fellow student went to police, then Riley allegedly beat up that student and now faces charges for intimidating a witness.

His stepfather said Riley had a rough childhood.

"He's our oldest, you know. He's our first born and he's been through a lot," said Blake.

Riley is in a juvenile detention center and his pretrial hearing is scheduled for later this month.
ONN, Ohio News Now - News - Teen Charged With Over 100 Felonies

With a few more days I expect we'll find out more about the family.

Remember all the discussions we've had about values? I would wager a penny that these parents had not imparted good values to this kid. And he MIGHT already be beyond redemption. Sad.

Mac Elite
Mar 15, 2007, 05:18 PM

Dude, notice that he has a STEPdad. Chances are that this kid grew up without parents for a time.

I guess because the kid is so young, I can't but help laugh at how outrageous the charges are. I mean, it would be very troublesome if the kid committed 50 felonies, but 128 is just comical! He's not even in 8th grade!!!

"Sing it again, rookie beyach."
My website

Addicted to MacNN
Mar 15, 2007, 05:49 PM

That is one pissed off kid!

Baninated
Mar 15, 2007, 05:51 PM

That's about a 1/2 hour from me. They filmed a movie there once.. can't remember the name.

It's on my way to Columbus. Small Small town.

marden  (op)
Baninated
Mar 15, 2007, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by KarlG View Post
That is one pissed off kid!

Andrew Riley.

I find it surprising they released his name and mug shot at that 'tender' age.

The way his shirt almost perfectly matches the background in the photo shooting area makes me wonder if he subconsciously knew he was headed there that day and tried to be color coordinated.Yes, I'm kidding.
( Last edited by marden; Mar 15, 2007 at 05:58 PM. )

Professional Poster
Mar 15, 2007, 06:08 PM

Yeah, sure makes you wonder, don't it?

Addicted to MacNN
Mar 15, 2007, 07:20 PM

Only one felony is going to put this kid away for life, without parole! How utterly sad, and a waste of a life!

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...EWS01/70315054

Teen charged as adult in shootings over graffiti dispute

March 15, 2007

By JACK KRESNAK

Free Press Staff Writer

A 14-year-old boy was charged as an adult Thursday with murder and attempted murder in the shootings last month of two other teens in a dispute over gang graffiti.

The 14-year-old, Caleb Vincent Sosa of Detroit, who police say is known on the streets of southwest Detroit by his nickname “Little Capone,” was arraigned on charges of first-degree murder, assault with intent to commit murder

The charges stem from a Feb. 11 shooting that left a 19-year-old man wounded and 13-year-old Christian Sanchez dead.

Officials said Christian, an 8th grader at the Academy of the Americas school in Detroit, was an innocent bystander who was not involved in any gang.

Detroit police homicide Investigator Dwight Pearson said the shooting stemmed from a dispute between Sosa’s gang and the 19-year-old who is a graffiti artist himself who had defaced gang graffiti.

Sosa is being held without bond in the Wayne County Juvenile Detention Facility pending a March 22 preliminary examination in 36th District Court in Detroit.

“This is a violent example of why we have the ability to waive a juvenile and try him as an adult,” Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy said Thursday.

“It is a decision that is always made very carefully. This is not a case of mere youthful indiscretion,” Worthy said. “The allegation is that the defendant thought the act through. The tragic result is the death of an innocent bystander”

marden  (op)
Baninated
Mar 15, 2007, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by KarlG View Post
Only one felony is going to put this kid away for life, without parole! How utterly sad, and a waste of a life!

Teen charged as adult in shootings over graffiti dispute

[...]

The 14-year-old, Caleb Vincent Sosa of Detroit, who police say is known on the streets of southwest Detroit by his nickname “Little Capone,” was arraigned on charges of first-degree murder, assault with intent to commit murder

The charges stem from a Feb. 11 shooting that left a 19-year-old man wounded and 13-year-old Christian Sanchez dead.

[...]

"This is not a case of mere youthful indiscretion,” Worthy said. “The allegation is that the defendant thought the act through. The tragic result is the death of an innocent bystander”
You do mean the waste of TWO lives, don't you? Little Capone, who was the shooter and Christian Sanchez, the dead innocent bystander makes TWO, right?

Addicted to MacNN
Mar 15, 2007, 07:41 PM

You're correct.

Forum Links
Forum Rules