Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Yay! I got my new Maxtor hard drives!

Yay! I got my new Maxtor hard drives!
Thread Tools
Mac Elite
Join Date: Aug 2006
Status: Offline
Apr 3, 2007, 11:29 PM
 
No more Seagate/Mac Pro crap! I'm ready for some 80mbps read/write speeds! Bring it on Maxtor!

Later this evening i'll make the switch between the hard drives, and sell the Seagates. I'm gonna use Disk Utility to partition the new drives, and then just paste on my current drive partitions onto them so that I clone the drives that way. Wish me and my computer luck through the transition!
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Maine
Status: Offline
Apr 3, 2007, 11:43 PM
 
i've always enjoyed seagate and haven't had a problem with mine as of yet, and going on 4-5 years now

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Dec 1999
Status: Offline
Apr 3, 2007, 11:43 PM
 
I'll remember a prayer for you in my Satanic rituals of sacrifice.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts
     
Mac Elite
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Los Angeles, California
Status: Offline
Apr 3, 2007, 11:45 PM
 
How do you afford a $4000 computer at 16?

Just curious.
Linkinus is king.
     
Professional Poster
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Smallish town in Ohio
Status: Offline
Apr 3, 2007, 11:48 PM
 
There's nothing wrong with having rich parents spoil you. All those 4000 dollars went into Apple computer which went towards paying the salaries of other workers who provide for their families which went into spending money to pay for grocercies which paid for someone else's salary and the money trinkles down and cycles back around.

Spread the wealth and purchase more stuff my friend, spread the wealth
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Seattle, Washington
Status: Offline
Apr 3, 2007, 11:52 PM
 
Originally Posted by brokenjago View Post
How do you afford a $4000 computer at 16?

Just curious.
That's my question. And you're gonna miss Seagate's 5 year warranty.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Maine
Status: Offline
Apr 4, 2007, 12:09 AM
 
i aforded a 3200 computer when i was16, granted i worked all summer and saved every penny for it, but the ****er is mine

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!
     
Mac Elite
Join Date: Aug 2006
Status: Offline
Apr 4, 2007, 12:30 AM
 
I don't care about the seagate warrenty. For one thing, OWC gives me a 5 year warrenty on my new drives, and secondly, I can't continue to use crippled hard drives in my computer!

I didn't afford the computer, my dad loaned me the money.
     
Mac Elite
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Los Angeles, California
Status: Offline
Apr 4, 2007, 12:37 AM
 
Originally Posted by macintologist
There's nothing wrong with having rich parents spoil you. All those 4000 dollars went into Apple computer which went towards paying the salaries of other workers who provide for their families which went into spending money to pay for grocercies which paid for someone else's salary and the money trinkles down and cycles back around.
I never judged anyone or said anything was wrong with having the money. I just asked how he got it.
Linkinus is king.
     
Mac Elite
Join Date: Aug 2006
Status: Offline
Apr 4, 2007, 01:05 AM
 
Anyways, it turned out neither CopyCatX or Disk Utility wanted to clone my drives, so I booted into my Leopard Beta, and Disk Utility is doing it just fine now. I divided up my new drive into a 50GB partition (for windows) and a 415GB partition for Mac OS X. I'm currently pasting my old Mac OS X partition onto the 415GB partition of the new drive, using Disk Utility in Leopard. It says 31 minutes remaining. I had like 140GB of stuff on there.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Bellevue, WA
Status: Offline
Apr 4, 2007, 01:22 AM
 
Originally Posted by G4ME View Post
i've always enjoyed seagate and haven't had a problem with mine as of yet, and going on 4-5 years now
Same here. The Barracuda 7200.10 is sweet.
     
Mac Elite
Join Date: Aug 2006
Status: Offline
Apr 4, 2007, 01:31 AM
 
Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
Same here. The Barracuda 7200.10 is sweet.
Yeah they are sweet. Unfortunetaly they have a firmware issue with Apple's pro machines.
     
Mac Elite
Join Date: Aug 2006
Status: Offline
Apr 4, 2007, 01:35 AM
 
So there were 7 items in my Macintosh HD.

Applications, Library, System, User Guides And Information, Users, Developer, and Screensavers.

In my new drive, there are 9 items. All of the above, plus an alias mach, and a mach.sym. Is that right? Or is something wrong?
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Maine
Status: Offline
Apr 4, 2007, 01:38 AM
 
Originally Posted by macgeek2005 View Post
Yeah they are sweet. Unfortunetaly they have a firmware issue with Apple's pro machines.
Glad i have a G4

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!
     
Mac Elite
Join Date: May 2005
Location: West LA
Status: Offline
Apr 4, 2007, 01:39 AM
 
that happened to me once on my pbook when I re-installed 10.3 once. I think they're supposed to stay hidden, but I don't remember for sure.
     
Mac Elite
Join Date: Aug 2006
Status: Offline
Apr 4, 2007, 01:47 AM
 
Originally Posted by hickey View Post
that happened to me once on my pbook when I re-installed 10.3 once. I think they're supposed to stay hidden, but I don't remember for sure.
But in any case, it's not a big deal then?
     
Mac Elite
Join Date: Aug 2006
Status: Offline
Apr 4, 2007, 02:00 AM
 
Alright i'm booted up on the first of the Maxtor drives. I can't believe how perfect it is. Everything is exactly right. The dock, the desktop pattern, the desktop, the preferences, the Saved passwords and information in web browsers! Everything! It seems almost too easy to be true. Anyways, i'm copying over the windows partition now, and then my original Seagate startup disk goes bye bye!
     
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Minnesota
Status: Offline
Apr 4, 2007, 02:19 AM
 
Quantum, Maxtor, Seagate HDDs have all shelled on me when I least expected them to. I've haven't had a WD drive shell on me yet but I still ponyed up for the server version (WD5000YS) an an attempt to stave off the inevitable.
     
Mac Elite
Join Date: Aug 2006
Status: Offline
Apr 4, 2007, 02:42 AM
 
Crap... I can't figure out how to get my windows partition onto the new drive... i've already had to erase my new drive cause I just pasted the windows partition onto a Mac OS partition.

Now i've started over, and I created a windows partition on the new drive using bootcamp, but it still won't let me paste over my other windows partition. How do I do this??
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Rock
Status: Offline
Apr 4, 2007, 02:54 AM
 
Just had my original Maxtor drive in my old Power Mac fail on me. Luckily got most of my music off in time, but it is/was an annoying beeotch.

That is all I have to say, besides "drink Disaronno, it's the drink of champions."

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.
     
Mac Elite
Join Date: Aug 2006
Status: Offline
Apr 4, 2007, 03:39 AM
 
Dammit to hell! I am sick and tired of putting up with Windows! I have a Mac so that I don't have to deal with that crap. The trouble that copying the windows partition has given me, has made me decide to ditch windows. The only thing I was using it for was an online math course anyway, and my brother will let me use his iMac's windows for that.

Screw windows.
     
Mac Elite
Join Date: Mar 2003
Status: Offline
Apr 4, 2007, 04:35 AM
 
Originally Posted by macgeek2005 View Post
Dammit to hell! I am sick and tired of putting up with Windows! I have a Mac so that I don't have to deal with that crap. The trouble that copying the windows partition has given me, has made me decide to ditch windows. The only thing I was using it for was an online math course anyway, and my brother will let me use his iMac's windows for that.

Screw windows.
So it's windows that is stupid and not you right? If you legally own the copy of windows just get parellels and install it on there. easy as pie.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: FFM
Status: Offline
Apr 4, 2007, 04:43 AM
 
Originally Posted by macgeek2005 View Post
I booted into my Leopard Beta
I'm not sure it's wise to brag about pirating software.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: England | San Francisco
Status: Offline
Apr 4, 2007, 08:18 AM
 
I question why you post it in the lounge
must. boost. e-penis!
we don't have time to stop for gas
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: God's Country
Status: Offline
Apr 4, 2007, 11:12 AM
 
Originally Posted by macgeek2005 View Post
Crap... I can't figure out how to get my windows partition onto the new drive... i've already had to erase my new drive cause I just pasted the windows partition onto a Mac OS partition.

Now i've started over, and I created a windows partition on the new drive using bootcamp, but it still won't let me paste over my other windows partition. How do I do this??
You seriously thought that a cut-and-paste would work to move all the files from a Windows NTFS or FAT32 partition to a "Mac OS" partition, which I can only assume from your wording is formatted as HFS+?

No wonder it didn't work. Windows can't read HFS+. At all. Not without software like MacDrive, at any rate. Not only that, but a cut-and-paste isn't going to do it. You have to actually INSTALL Windows from the CD. What you're trying to do would be like trying to pull a hard drive from a Dell desktop and sticking it in an IBM desktop and expecting it to just work. Shat, even pulling a drive from an iBook G3 and sticking it in an iBook G4 is going to have problems, like not correctly recognizing the DVD burner.

     
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: "Working"
Status: Offline
Apr 4, 2007, 11:22 AM
 
Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
Shat, even pulling a drive from an iBook G3 and sticking it in an iBook G4 is going to have problems, like not correctly recognizing the DVD burner.
Are you serious? OS X includes drivers for everything in every install...the installer doesn't put anything machine specific when it installs. I've swapped installs between an iBook G4, B&W G3, iMac, Beige G3s, etc. without a single problem.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: The Annals of MacNN History
Status: Offline
Apr 4, 2007, 11:29 AM
 
Originally Posted by Gossamer View Post
Are you serious? OS X includes drivers for everything in every install...the installer doesn't put anything machine specific when it installs. I've swapped installs between an iBook G4, B&W G3, iMac, Beige G3s, etc. without a single problem.
Yes, but you were smart enough to conduct the install on the naked body of a pale virgin, while taking time to dip the drive in goats blood before installation.


...needless to say, I enjoyed olePigeon's comment.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: The Annals of MacNN History
Status: Offline
Apr 4, 2007, 11:30 AM
 
Originally Posted by macgeek2005 View Post
I'm ready for some 80mbps read/write speeds!
Finally the Secret Garden without any playback stutters! Rejoice!
     
Grizzled Veteran
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Dayton, OH
Status: Offline
Apr 4, 2007, 11:32 AM
 
Originally Posted by brokenjago View Post
How do you afford a $4000 computer at 16?

Just curious.
I think I was probably 17ish, but I recall my first Mac being a good $9000 by the time everything was purchased. I vividly remember the credit card company calling my Dad at work to ask if his card had been stolen.

9600/300 604e (dead on arrival)
1 Gig of RAM ( I think that thing had like 6 slots)
21" Trinitron CRT (f'ing HEAVY)
Agfa scanner at a whopping 300dpi
10 gig hard drive maybe
All that software and crap

Bitchin system back then.
     
Professional Poster
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: T •
Status: Offline
Apr 4, 2007, 12:25 PM
 
Originally Posted by macgeek2005 View Post
No more Seagate/Mac Pro crap! I'm ready for some 80mbps read/write speeds! Bring it on Maxtor!
I have had 5 hard drives fail in my life.... all of them Maxtor.

I thought Seagate bought Maxtor and was making it the LOW end brand for them no?

All my Seagates have been 100% reliable and much much quieter than the Maxtors.
     
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: "Working"
Status: Offline
Apr 4, 2007, 12:31 PM
 
Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
I have had 5 hard drives fail in my life.... all of them Maxtor.

I thought Seagate bought Maxtor and was making it the LOW end brand for them no?

All my Seagates have been 100% reliable and much much quieter than the Maxtors.
Correct on the acquisition: Seagate Technology - Seagate Technology To Acquire Maxtor Corporation
Agreed. I've had a couple Maxtor's die on me. I got a refurb Seagate this time around, and I haven't had any problems.
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Washington, DC
Status: Offline
Apr 4, 2007, 12:41 PM
 
I'm just praying that my PowerMac G4 holds on until Leopard. I'm planning on getting two 500GB drives and using Time Machine for the second drive.

I've backed up pieces, but some stuff just won't make it if one of my drives fails today.
     
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: "Working"
Status: Offline
Apr 4, 2007, 12:46 PM
 
I finally shelled out the cash a couple weeks ago and got a 160GB external drive to back up my music, photos, and documents. Gives me piece of mind.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: The Annals of MacNN History
Status: Offline
Apr 4, 2007, 12:48 PM
 
I too have had a maxtor fail.
     
Mac Elite
Join Date: Aug 2006
Status: Offline
Apr 4, 2007, 01:26 PM
 
Jeesh... so maybe Maxtor's have a higher faliure rate than Seagate, but that doesn't mean mine are gonna fail. I was reccommended Maxtor drives by people on these forums, to replace my crippled Seagate drives.

Oh, and I have the installer for Windows XP. I have a real disc, it's just I had windows all set up on that partition, and it takes forever to do that. Desktop pattern, all the updates, anti-spyware and anti-virus, all the applications you want, games, updated applications, google desktop. It takes a while. I could install paralelles and use windows, but now i'm just too lazy. I don't like windows, I don't want to deal with it.
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Status: Offline
Apr 4, 2007, 01:51 PM
 
Originally Posted by Dakar² View Post
Finally the Secret Garden without any playback stutters! Rejoice!
Now he can watch Secret Garden and Babel simultaneously while listening to classical music!

This joke will never get old
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: The Annals of MacNN History
Status: Offline
Apr 4, 2007, 01:55 PM
 
Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
This joke will never get old
Not if I have any say.
     
Mac Elite
Join Date: Aug 2006
Status: Offline
Apr 4, 2007, 02:41 PM
 
Yeah, i'll probably end up installing windows again Via Parallels again, or even via bootcamp..

Right now i'm booted back up on my new Maxtor drive, and everything is flawless. Xbench is giving me the correct drive speed test results!
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Maine
Status: Offline
Apr 4, 2007, 02:57 PM
 
you are so awesome

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!
     
Professional Poster
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: T •
Status: Offline
Apr 4, 2007, 03:35 PM
 
Originally Posted by macgeek2005 View Post
Jeesh... so maybe Maxtor's have a higher faliure rate than Seagate, but that doesn't mean mine are gonna fail.
What you mean they don't have 100% failure rates?!!

Thanks professor.
     
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: "Working"
Status: Offline
Apr 4, 2007, 04:23 PM
 
Originally Posted by macgeek2005 View Post
Jeesh... so maybe Maxtor's have a higher faliure rate than Seagate, but that doesn't mean mine are gonna fail. I was reccommended Maxtor drives by people on these forums, to replace my crippled Seagate drives.

Oh, and I have the installer for Windows XP. I have a real disc, it's just I had windows all set up on that partition, and it takes forever to do that. Desktop pattern, all the updates, anti-spyware and anti-virus, all the applications you want, games, updated applications, google desktop. It takes a while. I could install paralelles and use windows, but now i'm just too lazy. I don't like windows, I don't want to deal with it.
If you only needed Windows for an online math class, why do you need applications, games, Google Desktop, updates, a new desktop picture, etc?
     
Mac Elite
Join Date: Aug 2006
Status: Offline
Apr 4, 2007, 05:43 PM
 
Originally Posted by Gossamer View Post
If you only needed Windows for an online math class, why do you need applications, games, Google Desktop, updates, a new desktop picture, etc?
I just liked the idea of having a full PC and a full Mac in one computer. I was treating Windows as if that were my only computer, lol. As I write this, Windows is installing via Parallels.. I couldn't resist. And it'll work just fine for the math thing. I won't download all the updates this time. Just spyware and anti-virus, and that's it.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: God's Country
Status: Offline
Apr 11, 2007, 11:43 AM
 
Originally Posted by Gossamer View Post
Are you serious? OS X includes drivers for everything in every install...the installer doesn't put anything machine specific when it installs. I've swapped installs between an iBook G4, B&W G3, iMac, Beige G3s, etc. without a single problem.
Then apparently I had a magic installation of OS X. When I swapped out the CD-ROM for a CD-RW/DVD in my iBook and swapped the 300MHz board for a 466MHz one, I had to reinstall in order for OS X to realize that (a) I had video out, (b) the graphics card was capable of DVD decoding, and (c) the optical drive could burn CDs and read DVDs.

As such, I inferred that swapping out a drive to a newer Apple computer isn't that seamless.
     
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: "Working"
Status: Offline
Apr 11, 2007, 11:50 AM
 
Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
Then apparently I had a magic installation of OS X. When I swapped out the CD-ROM for a CD-RW/DVD in my iBook and swapped the 300MHz board for a 466MHz one, I had to reinstall in order for OS X to realize that (a) I had video out, (b) the graphics card was capable of DVD decoding, and (c) the optical drive could burn CDs and read DVDs.

As such, I inferred that swapping out a drive to a newer Apple computer isn't that seamless.
That's quite weird. At work I've deployed the same image to all ages and types of PPC machines...laptops, G4s, G3s, G5s, etc without a single hitch.
     
Banned
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Indy.
Status: Offline
Apr 11, 2007, 12:08 PM
 
Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
Then apparently I had a magic installation of OS X. When I swapped out the CD-ROM for a CD-RW/DVD in my iBook and swapped the 300MHz board for a 466MHz one, I had to reinstall in order for OS X to realize that (a) I had video out, (b) the graphics card was capable of DVD decoding, and (c) the optical drive could burn CDs and read DVDs.

As such, I inferred that swapping out a drive to a newer Apple computer isn't that seamless.
Yup, you had a faulty install.

I have swapped out processors from G3s to G4, video cards, optical drives, and added Firewire and USB cards without doing a single reinstall.

I actually copied my instal from my eMac to an older Pismo and it worked perfectly.
     
Professional Poster
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Brantford, ON. Canada
Status: Offline
Apr 11, 2007, 12:14 PM
 
All my Maxtors have failed. Seagates are still humming along. (And these things are like 8 years old.)


Why would you even buy the extra HD's from apple at a premium, when you were just going to swap them out anyways?

(More parents money than brains?)
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Dec 1999
Status: Offline
Apr 11, 2007, 01:40 PM
 
Originally Posted by Gossamer View Post
That's quite weird. At work I've deployed the same image to all ages and types of PPC machines...laptops, G4s, G3s, G5s, etc without a single hitch.
Retail OS X is slightly different than the OS X that comes with an iBook. Ever since Tiger came out (at least, I first noticed it with Tiger) Apple's started doing the Machine specific OS X releases like they did with Classic.

So at the college I worked at we used a retail OS X disc on the newest Mac we could find on campus to create our master image, then we pushed that one out to all the G3s, G4s, G5s, and laptops.

We now officially have two master images, one PPC and one Intel. However, it beats the 20+ images we have at my school district for the mishmash of PCs.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: God's Country
Status: Offline
Apr 11, 2007, 03:46 PM
 
Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
Yup, you had a faulty install.

I have swapped out processors from G3s to G4, video cards, optical drives, and added Firewire and USB cards without doing a single reinstall.

I actually copied my instal from my eMac to an older Pismo and it worked perfectly.
Any idea how that could have happened?

Whenever I install OS X on my iBook, I deselect some of the extras, like the tons of extra printer drivers and things that waste hard drive space on my tiny 20GB drive...but I would have thought that drivers for Apple hardware wouldn't be included in that. I even copied the DVD Player app from my boyfriend's PowerBook, and it wouldn't run on my iBook - it said I didn't have sufficient hardware or something similar.

I am curious to know what I might have done to break it...
     
Senior User
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Kaufman TX, NY NY, London UK
Status: Offline
Apr 11, 2007, 04:09 PM
 
I know there's a lot more power available these days but I have to feel sorry for 16 years olds now who spend $3000 for a computer. In my day we paid $500 for an Atari ST or Amiga 500 (Macs and PCs cost $4000+ at the time and were sh!t) and those computers were jam good.

Still, you can pay that amount for a PS3 and use it as a Linux box with your HDTV exactly how we used our computers back then (connected to our TVs and Hifis).
Aron Dave Peterson, designer, coder. My stuff : Mac Pro, Macbook Pro 13", iPhone 6
     
Mac Elite
Join Date: Aug 2006
Status: Offline
Apr 11, 2007, 04:20 PM
 
Originally Posted by kmkkid View Post
All my Maxtors have failed. Seagates are still humming along. (And these things are like 8 years old.)


Why would you even buy the extra HD's from apple at a premium, when you were just going to swap them out anyways?

(More parents money than brains?)
I bought the 2 320GB drives from Newegg. They were much cheaper than apple's drives, and I was sure that they would work great, which they did, but there was the firmware issue.

From apple, we just got the 160GB drive.
     
 
Thread Tools
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:08 AM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2014 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2