Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What do stars make on residuals?

What do stars make on residuals?
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 7, 2007, 09:51 AM

I've always wondered what minor stars make on residuals of once very popular tv shows such as: Friends, Seifeld, The Jeffersons, All in the Family, etc.

Do the major and minor stars make 'bank' (thousands/tens-hundreds of thousands per episode) or do they just get a few hundred bucks each time an episode is aired? I know each contract is different, but what are the ballpark averages (or guesses)?

Reason being, I just saw David Faustino in a McDonalds commmercial and just wondered why he would stoop to that commercial (not that 'Married With Children' was Emmy worthy either). I see lots of stars doing things like that.

Do they NEED to work after their shows end? Or do they just want to remain relevant when no other work is still coming their way?

Posting Junkie
Apr 7, 2007, 10:40 AM

Pretty much no actor ever gets royalty cuts on TV serials.

Clinically Insane
Apr 7, 2007, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
Pretty much no actor ever gets royalty cuts on TV serials.
Really? My understanding was that it used to be that way, but now they get some kind of pittance.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2007, 11:17 AM

some of the newer sitcom stars get cuts of the DVD sales; but not syndication.

Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2007, 12:05 PM

Don't guess if you don't know. This doesn't give specific amounts, as I'm sure that's negotiable, but residuals are definitely paid.

Residual (entertainment industry) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The original residual agreements for television shows never anticipated the number of repeat broadcasts that some well-loved television series would eventually see in syndication. As a result, the residual payments were generally limited to about six broadcasts. This was changed in the mid-1970s, when contracts for new television shows extended residual payments without limit on the number of repeats.
Under the current system, the television production company retains 80% of the fees earned from reruns. The other 20% is paid to the various performers and off-camera crew.

Actually, I just found this, and it does appear to answer some questions about pay and residuals, although dollar amounts are undoubtedly negotiated.

http://www.sag.org/sagWebApp/Content...atrical-tv.pdf
( Last edited by OldManMac; Apr 7, 2007 at 12:16 PM. )
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Mac Enthusiast
Apr 7, 2007, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by KarlG View Post
Don't guess if you don't know. This doesn't give specific amounts, as I'm sure that's negotiable, but residuals are definitely paid.

Residual (entertainment industry) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The original residual agreements for television shows never anticipated the number of repeat broadcasts that some well-loved television series would eventually see in syndication. As a result, the residual payments were generally limited to about six broadcasts. This was changed in the mid-1970s, when contracts for new television shows extended residual payments without limit on the number of repeats.
Under the current system, the television production company retains 80% of the fees earned from reruns. The other 20% is paid to the various performers and off-camera crew.

Actually, I just found this, and it does appear to answer some questions about pay and residuals, although dollar amounts are undoubtedly negotiated.

http://www.sag.org/sagWebApp/Content...atrical-tv.pdf
Quite interesting indeed. Thanks for that information.

Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 7, 2007, 03:53 PM

I know someone who played steel guitar in the "house band" on Hee Haw (anyone remember?) many years ago. He only played in a few shows, but still gets residuals whenever those shows are played anywhere in the world. It isn't much, but enough to make payments on a new bass boat a few years ago. For him the residuals actually went up after the show reached a certain age (not sure what) so that they were considered "classic" television shows.
macforray

Banned
Apr 7, 2007, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by macforray View Post
I know someone who played steel guitar in the "house band" on Hee Haw (anyone remember?) ...
"I searched the world over and thought I found true love. But she let another and *PFFOOT* she was gone!"

Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 8, 2007, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
"I searched the world over and thought I found true love. But she let another and *PFFOOT* she was gone!"
Winterhawk Bluegrass Festival 2002, Hillsdale, N.Y.

Chris "Tiny" Olson - Winterhawk Bluegrass Festival 2002, Hillsdale, N.Y. High school classmates Tiny Olson and Rick Mullen (Commander Cody). Chris "Tiny" Olson has been featured on over 17 "Top 10 Country Hits" with five #1 "Solid Gold Country Hits" with Gene Watson. Tiny has also appeared over 30 times on" The Grand Ole Opry" and "Hee Haw" .
macforray

Administrator
Apr 8, 2007, 04:36 PM

TV residuals generally wind up being pennies per airing. But look at the current syndication market; someone with residuals for a show that runs in syndication can make a pretty penny from syndication airings. Major players in the Star Trek franchise are probably enjoying a nice income from those shows.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Banned
Apr 8, 2007, 08:11 PM

Winterhawk Bluegrass Festival 2002, Hillsdale, N.Y.

Chris "Tiny" Olson - Winterhawk Bluegrass Festival 2002, Hillsdale, N.Y. High school classmates Tiny Olson and Rick Mullen (Commander Cody). Chris "Tiny" Olson has been featured on over 17 "Top 10 Country Hits" with five #1 "Solid Gold Country Hits" with Gene Watson. Tiny has also appeared over 30 times on" The Grand Ole Opry" and "Hee Haw" .
More like 1970.

Banned
Apr 8, 2007, 08:17 PM

Here's a little I know about residuals and syndication. I think the Beverly Hillbillies actors are getting nothing for the reruns of their show, but the producer (actually the dad, "Jed", on the show) used to make a fortune from royalties, but I think his estate has sold to CBS now.

Addicted to MacNN
Apr 9, 2007, 04:27 PM

Whare oh whare are you tonight?
Why did you leave me here all alone?

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
The harmony was the best part.
He can be fixed -- you can't.

Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 9, 2007, 07:22 PM

Railroader, thanks for the link. It was like, well, ..... going back in time.
macforray

Banned
Apr 9, 2007, 07:42 PM

Railroader, thanks for the link. It was like, well, ..... going back in time.
Tell me about it. I thought about finding some episodes, but I think the memories would be a bit much. I used to watch that show a lot with my late grandfather and some things just tip me off with nostalgia. I'd probably be a babbling sobbing baby watching it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules