Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > question about eyeglasses

question about eyeglasses
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 12, 2007, 12:33 PM

Is it possible to have eyeglass lenses curved in such a way as to fit a pair of sunglass frames, such as oakleys? Anyone know where I can find such eyeglasswear?

Posting Junkie
Jul 12, 2007, 12:34 PM

You can get Oakleys with prescriptions lenses: Mens Oakley Prescription Eyewear - Oakley Prescription Frames at the online Oakley store

Other brands will probably do the same thing. There are plenty of prescription sunglasses out there.

Addicted to MacNN
Jul 12, 2007, 12:40 PM

I did that (curved lenses -- not Oakleys), and I hate dit. It totally screwed with my depth perception and peripheral vision.

YMMV
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2007, 12:43 PM

If I'm understanding your question correctly, you're not looking for sunglasses, you're looking for Oakley frames with regular eyeglass lenses in them.

It's not very likely you will be able to do that, but you might talk to your eye doctor and see if they have a way they can scan in a set of frames (the oakleys) and build your lenses for the frame. I know they can do this to regular glasses if you broke the lens and need new ones for old frames.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 12, 2007, 12:48 PM

I see that they have sunglasses that are curved, but I'm looking for eyeglasses (with clear perscription lenses) that are curved just like the sunglasses. The perscription sunglass section doesn't provide clear lens options.

Professional Poster
Jul 12, 2007, 12:49 PM

There are companies that will do it, just because someone will pay for it. But, as RailHead points out, it doesn'twork well. This why you won't find this option available at most professional eyeglass stores or optometrist's offices.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 12, 2007, 02:09 PM

That's what I figured =( darn. Does anyone know of any such companies off the top of their heads to see how much it would cost?

Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2007, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by RAILhead View Post
I did that (curved lenses -- not Oakleys), and I hate dit. It totally screwed with my depth perception and peripheral vision.
-> a.k.a. cheap lenses. Like lenses from "optimized" fabrication only usable for the typical 80% of peoples' possible corrections.

PB.
( Last edited by Powerbook; Jul 12, 2007 at 06:11 PM. )
Aut Caesar aut nihil.

Professional Poster
Jul 12, 2007, 05:08 PM

I'm Just Wondering Why You Registered On A Mac Forum Just To Ask About Eyeglasses.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 12, 2007, 05:15 PM

ahahaha! That's a great question. I happened to stumble upon another thread about eyeglasses in this forum and posted this thread, not realizing is was all about Macs.

Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2007, 05:30 PM

I happened to stumble upon another thread about eyeglasses in this forum and posted this thread, not realizing is was all about Macs.
Well, I guess there is no question you really do need glasses!

Administrator
Jul 12, 2007, 06:24 PM

It depends on the manufacturer that makes the lenses. I've had prescription glasses made from aviator sunglass frames a couple of times, but those were built for fairly conventional lenses anyway. Some Oakleys are REALLY curved and that could be a major problem because the prescription lenses would need that curve too-labs just grind the lens blanks to fit the frames. If there aren't blanks to fit those frames, you're SOL.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2007, 12:36 PM

This can be done, because Oakley sell there REALY curved sunglasses in opticians where you can have the correct lenses for your prescription fitted. I got a set of the more traditional style of Oakley frames for my regular glasses, and in the little (universal) booklet that came in the case it talks about the curved ones. They will be real pricey though, and wont be ones that can be done in a hour.

Forum Links
Forum Rules